Aspartame

Options
Good or bad for you? I've had to stop consuming real sugar to lose weight and so far have lost about 15-20 lbs. Switched to sugar free products only to find out it might hurt my chances getting preg. Thougts??

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It is great!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Like all things in life, it's fine in moderation. Just don't be drinking gallons of diet sodas daily.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Cane sugar, aspartame, honey, fruit, all sugars have the same structure. Your body literally cannot tell the difference. Like atjays said everything in moderation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Cane sugar, aspartame, honey, fruit, all sugars have the same structure. Your body literally cannot tell the difference. Like atjays said everything in moderation.

Aspartame has the same structure as sugar? Erm...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/ this study says its broken down the same as other sugars
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think aspartame is great. I particularly like the aspartame/ace-k combo (coke zero). I prefer it over sucralose, for sure. I can never get over the aftertaste of sucralose.

Where did you read that it can affect fertility?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think aspartame is great. I particularly like the aspartame/ace-k combo (coke zero). I prefer it over sucralose, for sure. I can never get over the aftertaste of sucralose.

I love coke zero too
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2017
    Options

http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(16)62172-6/abstract
    heres one study.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Get your reading glasses ready: http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

(tl;dr in case you don't want to read 93 pages of scientific, peer-reviewed studies: aspartame is perfectly safe.)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/ this study says its broken down the same as other sugars

"Other sugars?" It's not sugar. Can you quote where it said that? I lost interest as soon as it started with the fearmongering near the beginning.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Except they are going to stop making Coke Zero and have come up with Coke No Sugar or something like that. Apparently it tastes more like normal Coke. If it doesn't taste as good or better than Zero I'll be seriously annoyed.

Edited to add the link

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/goodbye-coke-zero-hello-cocacola-no-sugar-20170602-gwj3cx.html
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Oh dear. How can someone get this so wrong? I can not fathom that someone can think that something with a totally different chemical structure is the same structure and the body can't tell the difference. Especially when it can actually tell the difference between fructose, glucose and lactose anyway as their chemical structures are actually not identical.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Eating sugar alternatives will not hinder your chances of getting preggo. If you are actively trying to get preg that is. It isn't easy for you to get pregnant like you might think. So if you're having trouble in that dept it isn't the sugar alternatives and I would talk to your doc.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Except they are going to stop making Coke Zero and have come up with Coke No Sugar or something like that. Apparently it tastes more like normal Coke. If it doesn't taste as good or better than Zero I'll be seriously annoyed.

Edited to add the link

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/goodbye-coke-zero-hello-cocacola-no-sugar-20170602-gwj3cx.html

I read this today and I'm not thrilled. I like Coke Zero, dammit. Don't mess with it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I read this today and I'm not thrilled. I like Coke Zero, dammit. Don't mess with it.

Pepsi max. Come to the dark side.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

"Other sugars?" It's not sugar. Can you quote where it said that? I lost interest as soon as it started with the fearmongering near the beginning.

Aspartame

Aspartame, discovered in 1965 is a low-calorie sweetener with a sugar-like taste but is approximately 200 times sweeter than sucrose.[16] It is unique among low-calorie sweeteners in that it is completely broken down by the body to its components - the amino acids, aspartic acid, phenylalanine and a small amount of ethanol.[17–19] These components are found in much greater amounts in common foods, such as meat, milk, fruits, and vegetables, and are used in the body in the same way whether they come from aspartame or common foods

also no fear mongering really it said that some thought this or that but here is the conclusion-CONCLUSIONS
    Sugar substitutes in various food and beverages are very popular in most of the countries. Extensive scientific research has demonstrated the safety of the six low-calorie sweeteners currently approved for use in foods in the U.S. and Europe (stevia, acesulfame-K, aspartame, neotame, saccharin and sucralose) each with an acceptable daily intake. A number of studies have been carried out to confirm the safety of artificial sweeteners. A number of studies have also shown the adverse effects of the same. But most of the studies have limitations such as effects shown only in animals not in human, small sample size, high doses, statistically non-significant or borderline significant, etc. The sugar substitutes are thoroughly investigated for safety with hundreds of scientific studies and then approved by different regulatory authorities like the U.S. FDA, JECFA and FSANZ. Some agents are approved with warning labels too. So further exploration is required with well-designed large-scale studies in the general population. On the anecdotal evidence, it has been concluded that based on analysis of the database of case histories, there are a number of symptoms that are recurrently reported by individuals who believe that they are caused by sugar substitute ingestion. The information gathered in this analysis can be useful in guiding the design and format of any investigative study that may be undertaken to determine individual sensitivity to sugar substitutes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Edited to add the link

is this for just Australia or?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

Aspartame

Aspartame, discovered in 1965 is a low-calorie sweetener with a sugar-like taste but is approximately 200 times sweeter than sucrose.[16] It is unique among low-calorie sweeteners in that it is completely broken down by the body to its components - the amino acids, aspartic acid, phenylalanine and a small amount of ethanol.[17–19] These components are found in much greater amounts in common foods, such as meat, milk, fruits, and vegetables, and are used in the body in the same way whether they come from aspartame or common foods

also no fear mongering really it said that some thought this or that but here is the conclusion-CONCLUSIONS
    Sugar substitutes in various food and beverages are very popular in most of the countries. Extensive scientific research has demonstrated the safety of the six low-calorie sweeteners currently approved for use in foods in the U.S. and Europe (stevia, acesulfame-K, aspartame, neotame, saccharin and sucralose) each with an acceptable daily intake. A number of studies have been carried out to confirm the safety of artificial sweeteners. A number of studies have also shown the adverse effects of the same. But most of the studies have limitations such as effects shown only in animals not in human, small sample size, high doses, statistically non-significant or borderline significant, etc. The sugar substitutes are thoroughly investigated for safety with hundreds of scientific studies and then approved by different regulatory authorities like the U.S. FDA, JECFA and FSANZ. Some agents are approved with warning labels too. So further exploration is required with well-designed large-scale studies in the general population. On the anecdotal evidence, it has been concluded that based on analysis of the database of case histories, there are a number of symptoms that are recurrently reported by individuals who believe that they are caused by sugar substitute ingestion. The information gathered in this analysis can be useful in guiding the design and format of any investigative study that may be undertaken to determine individual sensitivity to sugar substitutes.

"Besides its benefits, animal studies have convincingly proven that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain, brain tumors, bladder cancer and many other health hazards."
    That's the part I was referring to. Too definitive a statement for my liking

Also, nothing you quoted says it breaks down the same as sugar or that your body treats it the same.