Seriously, Im like a wallstreet stockbroker of the calories

Options
Im seriously thinking Ive overlooked my forte careerwise since becoming an MFP deciple. Am I the only one that gets serious pleasure out of researching, analysing and calculating low calorie to taste quality consumption ratios?

In the beginning it was pure greed that drove me to get the best quantity bang for my calorie allowance and now it seems to have become something else. I not only look for but seem to achieve the best quality food consumption Ive ever eaten with half the calories I consumed when I had free for all calories at my disposal and more money in my pocket.

I love getting using stealth mode to sneak up on the calorie police and really enjoy hoodwinking or getting one over them (whoever they are).

So how do I do it.....well lots and lots of research and trial and error when cooking. You have to get creative and it really is a lot of fun. Its kind of like taking up exercise to join a gym, start running, swimming even walking you gear yourself up by buying good shoes, swimsuit, gym membership. I see getting creative foodwise exactly the same its an investment and everyday I have 1200 units of credit available for me to spend/invest in my food fuel future.

I have invested some money and not a lot of it might I add..... in a slow cooker one of the best tools for freeing up calories. I cannot reiterate enough the value of using one of these appliance in the endeavor to lose weight. Once you get the hang of it and understand its rhythm you realise that not only is it one of the healthiest ways of cooking but also frees up time as well as calories and save money on the weekly food bill.

There has been investments also in food choices such as eating oats. I have become extremely creative in using oats to take back calories in my cooking.
Frozen Blueberries feature daily in my menu for breakfast and dessert.
The use of flavoured olive oil, herbs and spices such as tumeric, chili and cinnamon to flavour food and reduce the need for sugar and salt.
In season vegetables such as pumpkin not only are they cheap money wise they are also cheap calorie and carb wise. The bonus is they are delicious to eat for snacks soups and crisps or as a main dish curries or roasted.

One also needs a little luxury to pamper oneself with and when I started my MFP I was not going to deprive myself as history had shown me this was a surefire route to failure.

So investing in low calorie reward food whilst challenging was not impossible.

I love a glass of alcohol and have through research found alcohol choices that dont blow a huge hole in the calorie budget and still allows me to bring my daily calories into the black. For instance, Cockatoo Ridge - Low Calorie Brut Cuvee 70 calories/150ml and low in carbs i can easily go out and enjoy a glass or 2 with family and friends.

I make slices instead of cakes and biscuits this allows me to control what goes in them and they are super easy to make. Chocolate is the only food that seems to have no equal alternative so I use it creatively instead by grating chocolate as a topping. A favourite of mine is 2 slices of fruit toast (the fruit turns the bread into low carb) a small slaver of butter and grated chocolate it uses one square but feels decadent! it comes in just over 200 calories. I have this for breakfast or 1 slice for an afternoon snack at only 105 calories.
Grated or melted over a scoop of vanilla icecream makes a really nice dessert around 120 calories.

I also make vegie crisps again light on in calories but super easy to make.

All it takes is a small investment of time and effort on the weekend to stock up on low calorie choices for the week. Seriously most of its done in ad breaks whilst watching tv on the weekend.

Ive just started calculating my calories savings and the weird thing is I feel calorie security having them in my bank. Its like a nest egg of calories not sure what Im saving them for but I like totalling and comparing calories saved with calories spent.

Well enough of my calorie financial advice I think Im spent on this topic.....:)

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Great job! Sounds like you are doing really well with understanding foods. I too am a huge fan of pumpkin... and my slow cooker!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I LOVE what you wrote.....VERY Nice!:flowerforyou:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Press the "Like" button furiously!!
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I for got to mention that I store the chocolate in the freezer reduces temptations to wolf the lot and I tell my husband its there so he is like the keeper of the chocolate sad I know.....but has to be done ;)