Anyone feel this way?....

Options
I started my journey weighing 220lbs I now weigh 173lbs (I'm 5'9) ...my initial weight goal was 160 lbs ...the closer I get to it, the more im rethinking it..I think it should be 150.... I'm proud of what ive lost so far and should be happy ...but when I look in the mirror I still see the person I was before....also only a couple people have noticed..I know we shouldn't care what others think...but its nice to hear a compliment every now and then especially when you've worked so hard **sighs**

Replies

• SeriousCat
    SeriousCat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should reach for the stars if that's what you want to do. Other people might be jelly but you are doing this for you.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with what you feel is an appropriate goal for yourself. Dont let others influence you because they are too afraid to give a compliment.

Its sad that people are so quick to insult when they feel the slightest notion in their brains, but when someone should be complimented their mouths cant open to save their lives.

And congrats on your loss so far, you should be very happy with your progress!!
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got down PAST my goal weight and realized that I still needed to lose. But that was all me. No one else. Just make sure it's what's good for your body and health, not your ego.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds at least 2x. I still was wearing the same tops and pants with elastic waist that I wore 50 lbs. heavier. Have you bought any fitted clothes? People only noticed my weight loss when I had already started binging again.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone says or thinks. There's a reason people keep saying it, because it's true.

It's what you feel/think/say that matters. If that's what your heart tells you, then listen. Don't base it on the fact that other people aren't noticing. I'm not going to preach, but if you can get past that you'll be ok.

Good luck, and congrats on your progress so far.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I started my journey weighing 220lbs I now weigh 173lbs (I'm 5'9) ...my initial weight goal was 160 lbs ...the closer I get to it, the more im rethinking it..I think it should be 150.... I'm proud of what ive lost so far and should be happy ...but when I look in the mirror I still see the person I was before....also only a couple people have noticed..I know we shouldn't care what others think...but its nice to hear a compliment every now and then especially when you've worked so hard **sighs**

First of all, well done!

Personally, my approach would be to aim for and get to 160, celebrate that achievement then decide if I wanted to aim for 150. But if your personality is such that switching the goal to 150 now would work better for you, then go ahead and decide that. After all, if you get to 155 and realize you don't want to lose any more, you can always raise the goal again.

Weight loss goals are flexible. You don't have to stick to the first number you picked. When you have a lot to lose, it's very difficult to know what the right goal will be. You can always adjust up or down as you get closer.
  • geraldiopal
    geraldiopal Posts: 17 Member
    Options

First of all, well done!

Personally, my approach would be to aim for and get to 160, celebrate that achievement then decide if I wanted to aim for 150. But if your personality is such that switching the goal to 150 now would work better for you, then go ahead and decide that. After all, if you get to 155 and realize you don't want to lose any more, you can always raise the goal again.

Weight loss goals are flexible. You don't have to stick to the first number you picked. When you have a lot to lose, it's very difficult to know what the right goal will be. You can always adjust up or down as you get closer.

Thanks so much..and you're right, I will focus on 160 for now and taken it from there :smile:
  • geraldiopal
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds at least 2x. I still was wearing the same tops and pants with elastic waist that I wore 50 lbs. heavier. Have you bought any fitted clothes? People only noticed my weight loss when I had already started binging again.

I've just now started to buy clothes that are smaller....even though the tags say they're smaller and the scale says I am....our minds sure do have a F'd up way with screwing our perception of ourselves
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I've just now started to buy clothes that are smaller....even though the tags say they're smaller and the scale says I am....our minds sure do have a F'd up way with screwing our perception of ourselves

I am not at that point yet. but i would be happy to get there someday :)
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well I definitely see a difference in your profile pic, good job!! I had a co-worker whisper to me that she'd noticed I lost weight ,but didn't want to come out and say anything, thinking she would be implying I was "fat" before ...I'm sure people have noticed your loss , but maybe they don't want to bring up such a delicate topic.

As for the other concern, I say adjust your goal accordingly as long as it stays healthy. I thought for sure at 125lbs I would be set...well I'm 5lbs away and I can still see a fair amount of squish so I'm thinking of dropping a few more within the healthy weight range and then trying to recomp :)

• geraldiopal
    Options
    Well I definitely see a difference in your profile pic, good job!! I had a co-worker whisper to me that she'd noticed I lost weight ,but didn't want to come out and say anything, thinking she would be implying I was "fat" before ...I'm sure people have noticed your loss , but maybe they don't want to bring up such a delicate topic.

As for the other concern, I say adjust your goal accordingly as long as it stays healthy. I thought for sure at 125lbs I would be set...well I'm 5lbs away and I can still see a fair amount of squish so I'm thinking of dropping a few more within the healthy weight range and then trying to recomp :)

Thank you!!! And congrats on your loss as well :) I love the term "squish" I'm so stealing it lol
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I never hear any comments either but then again, I never say anything to anyone else. Weight to me is such a personal issue. It's like if someone says, "you've lost weight." It means, "you were fatt(er)". Or "you look great" means, "you looked worse before."

And as I get closer to goal I keep hoping *20* more pounds will be good enough. I'm tired of doing the weight loss thing.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That happened to me the first time I lost weight when I was 16 and lost 40 pounds. I kept seeing myself as fat and kept dieting until I became underweight. I stayed at that weight until I got progressively sicker and sicker forcing me to eat again and get back to a healthy weight. Then, I stayed at that healthy weight so long that I slipped and gained 25-30 pounds lol. I've now lost all but 10 and I'm actually the opposite this time around because I really don't care how much I lose from this point. I obviously want to recomp but I don't feel fat like I used to because i know I'm not. I was literally 5 foot 8 at 115 pounds thinking I was fat. Now I'm 20-25 pounds more than I was then and I feel pretty happy. A bit of rooom for improvement but I got over that mindset with age. It just caused me too much pain to think like that so I gradually released those tendencies. That being said, I have to be mindful of my thoughts and environment or I can slip back into old thought patterns. It can be a slippery slope. Love yourself now! Don't let weight loss control your life (not saying you are,) because if all you care about is getting thinner, you'll literally never be thin enough. At least in my experience

Congratulations on your loss! I think your initial goal weight is fine but you don't really need to worry about that number so much. Be healthy, be happy, eat well, have positive thoughts about yourself and you'll fine yourself at a happy place as long as you keep using the tools that have already worked for you responsibly! I think we tend to stress too much when we're losing weight. There's a fine line between being structured and being obsessed :)
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think you are doing great. You set a goal for yourself and are about to achieve it. Life is a series of goals that we set for ourselves. We attain them and then set new ones; or, we fail, learn from it, then begin again.

I would recommend that you continue to focus on your original goal. You've almost reached it. When (not if) you reach your goal of 160, do a personal assessment. How do you feel? Are you comfortable with your new weight? If not, why not? Once you have determined what it is you would like to change, set another goal. Then its time to determine the tools you will use to achieve the new goal. Will you maintain your calorie intake and just focus of physical training? These are just some of the things to keep in mind as you begin a new journey with new goals.

I realize I blathered on a bit there but I hope it helps. :)
  • JustinRa
    JustinRa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My plan is once I hit my goal, to get a body fat % test done and see what it looks like. From there I'll assess the mirror test and the %'s and see if I should drop more or not.
  • geraldiopal
    Options
    Rognvaldr wrote: »
    I think you are doing great. You set a goal for yourself and are about to achieve it. Life is a series of goals that we set for ourselves. We attain them and then set new ones; or, we fail, learn from it, then begin again.

I would recommend that you continue to focus on your original goal. You've almost reached it. When (not if) you reach your goal of 160, do a personal assessment. How do you feel? Are you comfortable with your new weight? If not, why not? Once you have determined what it is you would like to change, set another goal. Then its time to determine the tools you will use to achieve the new goal. Will you maintain your calorie intake and just focus of physical training? These are just some of the things to keep in mind as you begin a new journey with new goals.

I realize I blathered on a bit there but I hope it helps. :)

Lol you can babble on all you like .. You're awesome!! Thank you so much :)
  • geraldiopal
    Options
    That happened to me the first time I lost weight when I was 16 and lost 40 pounds. I kept seeing myself as fat and kept dieting until I became underweight. I stayed at that weight until I got progressively sicker and sicker forcing me to eat again and get back to a healthy weight. Then, I stayed at that healthy weight so long that I slipped and gained 25-30 pounds lol. I've now lost all but 10 and I'm actually the opposite this time around because I really don't care how much I lose from this point. I obviously want to recomp but I don't feel fat like I used to because i know I'm not. I was literally 5 foot 8 at 115 pounds thinking I was fat. Now I'm 20-25 pounds more than I was then and I feel pretty happy. A bit of rooom for improvement but I got over that mindset with age. It just caused me too much pain to think like that so I gradually released those tendencies. That being said, I have to be mindful of my thoughts and environment or I can slip back into old thought patterns. It can be a slippery slope. Love yourself now! Don't let weight loss control your life (not saying you are,) because if all you care about is getting thinner, you'll literally never be thin enough. At least in my experience

Congratulations on your loss! I think your initial goal weight is fine but you don't really need to worry about that number so much. Be healthy, be happy, eat well, have positive thoughts about yourself and you'll fine yourself at a happy place as long as you keep using the tools that have already worked for you responsibly! I think we tend to stress too much when we're losing weight. There's a fine line between being structured and being obsessed :)

Ohhh you are so right @ we tend to stress too much when losing weight.. I feel like sometimes it just consumes my brain from when I wake up until I go to bed :| thank you so much for sharing your story!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to see the difference yourself when you look in the mirror, because it's a gradual change. I see you have 2 different photos in your profile picture, you certainly can't dispute the difference between the 2 of those. Taking photos regularly can help you to see the difference, especially when you compare them side by side, I recently did this with a picture from Day 1 and Picture 6 months later, I didn't honestly feel like there was much difference in size, just that I had toned up significantly and was fitter, but looking at the pictures I can see a flatter tummy, a massive difference in my thighs and more subtle changes to my face and arms.

Remember that a lot of the people in your life will have the same issue you have yourself, in that the changes have been subtle and gradual over time.

Nothing wrong with reviewing your goals, I would personally wait until I got down to my initial target weight, take a little maintenance break and then start up again if I still felt I had significant fat to lose.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't think 150 lbs is unreasonable at all for someone who is 5'9". If that's what you feel is good for you, then I don't think it's a problem. Get to 160 and see how you feel. While those last pounds are the hardest to lose, they are often the ones that make the most dramatic impact on appearance and how clothes fit. I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs and it definitely needs to go, but I look best at about 143 lbs. These last 7 lbs make a dramatic difference in my pants size and the way I look. But from 148 to 160, not so much.