Gained 18 pounds in less than a few days..is this even possible

Options
alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
So I was recently discharged from the hospital due to having severe anemia and had to stay overnight for 3-4 days. The whole time I was hooked up to fluids and iron supplements which for some reason made me EXTREMELY swollen. My whole body was puffed up and my legs were huge and they are actually still VERY VERY swollen even upon discharge. Once I got home though I weighed myself because I was curious since I felt heavier and I swear to you I gained about 18 pounds which is confusing the heck out of me. I don't actually mind gaining to be honest but 18 pounds seems alittle too unrealistic. Would the gain be mostly due to the fluids I had in the hospital?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Each bag of saline is 1 litre which =2.2 lbs just fyi
  • alexastoutxo
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So I was recently discharged from the hospital due to having severe anemia and had to stay overnight for 3-4 days. The whole time I was hooked up to fluids and iron supplements which for some reason made me EXTREMELY swollen. My whole body was puffed up and my legs were huge and they are actually still VERY VERY swollen. Once I got home from the discharge though I weighed myself because I was curious since I felt heavier and I swear to you I gained about 18 pounds which is confusing the heck out of me. I don't actually mind gaining to be honest but 18 pounds seems alittle too unrealistic. Would the gain be mostly due to the fluids I had in the hospital?
    Well, yes. They put water in you, you've swollen up like a human water balloon, and water has mass. Did you really think you'd gained fat?

Well no not exactly but I didn't think someone could actually put on 18 pounds of water
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    So I was recently discharged from the hospital due to having severe anemia and had to stay overnight for 3-4 days. The whole time I was hooked up to fluids and iron supplements which for some reason made me EXTREMELY swollen. My whole body was puffed up and my legs were huge and they are actually still VERY VERY swollen. Once I got home from the discharge though I weighed myself because I was curious since I felt heavier and I swear to you I gained about 18 pounds which is confusing the heck out of me. I don't actually mind gaining to be honest but 18 pounds seems alittle too unrealistic. Would the gain be mostly due to the fluids I had in the hospital?
    Well, yes. They put water in you, you've swollen up like a human water balloon, and water has mass. Did you really think you'd gained fat?

Well no not exactly but I didn't think someone could actually put on 18 pounds of water

It's not unusual after iv. I gained 5 lbs after an afternoon in the er and 2 bags of saline. Also saline contains sodium which can cause water retention.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. It should slowly return to normal in the next week or two.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    All I know is when I had my older son, I had some complications that meant I had multiple bags of stuff (saline, antibiotics, pitocin and blood transfusions) going into me via IV for 3.5 days (I had a port in each arm and they were both hooked up at times, though not continuously), and after I left the hospital I lost something like 35 lbs in 3 days (weighed the same the day I got home as I did the day I went in to deliver). I was so full of fluid my feet wouldn't even fit into flip-flops and the skin felt like it was tearing whenever I took a step.

It's fluid, and the best thing you can do to flush it out of your system is walk if you can. That's what the nurses told me at the time.
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    All I know is when I had my older son, I had some complications that meant I had multiple bags of stuff (saline, antibiotics, pitocin and blood transfusions) going into me via IV for 3.5 days (I had a port in each arm and they were both hooked up at times, though not continuously), and after I left the hospital I lost something like 35 lbs in 3 days (weighed the same the day I got home as I did the day I went in to deliver). I was so full of fluid my feet wouldn't even fit into flip-flops and the skin felt like it was tearing whenever I took a step.

It's fluid, and the best thing you can do to flush it out of your system is walk if you can. That's what the nurses told me at the time.

Were those 35 lbs all water? And that's exactly what I'm experiencing right now! My feet stomach, hands pretty much my whole body is swollen to the point where it even hurts to run (which I do alot since I'm a runner) how long did it take for your swelling to go down?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It can take up to a couple of weeks depending on your body and foods. Distilled water can help. Good luck and feel better.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i can lose 15lbs of water in three days.. crazy how drinking more will help u release it
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I gained 10lb in 5 days recently and I can't of eaten more that 3k calories in that time. Got ill and retained a ton of water, it doe's happen. I went on to drop it all over the next week.

I put on 15lb in 3 days post contest but there was a bit more than 3k calories involved with that one!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor today, or ER right away if you have associated shortness of breath or can't tolerate laying flat.

An Internet forum is not really the right place to ask for opinions on what sounds like a complication of medical care.

Please have yourself assessed by a health professional.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you say you're all swollen... so yes, its possible....