Picnic

Options
Hopefully going for my first picnic this weekend since calorie counting.
In the past I would make several types of sandwiches (now I realise I ate far too many!). I would also take lots of biscuits besides fruit etc.
Apart from toast a couple of mornings a week I don't eat bread now.
Can anyone recommend nice healthy picnic ideas. With the odd low calorie treat. Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Frittata/egg muffins.
    Vegie sticks and dips
    Hb eggs
    Salads
    Take ingredients for wraps, eat what fits your goals (we do this - I might have one wrap, my husband would have multiple!)
    BBQ/rotisserie chicken
    Mini muffins - only take enough for 1 or 2 each
    Fruit and yoghurt

• commsgirl2016
    commsgirl2016 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks, wraps are what I have for lunch so might do one for me, one and half for OH and half for DD. Very guilty previously of buying the picnic type packs in supermarkets of caramel slices etc and eating more than a couple so will maybe still purchase these but only take what we all should really be eating!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with still having some sandwiches will nice fillings, bread isn't the enemy. Although those bagel thins or wraps also are a nice option. Choose your 'dessert' more carefully. Personally I would still have something sweet but it would be just one delectable thing i.e Millionnaires square :smile:

Those little mini scotch eggs/snack eggs are lovely cold and around 40 cals each. Perfect for picnics too.

At the end of the day, you have xxx number of calories to spend on your picnic, how you choose so spend those calories is up to you :smile: enjoy!
  • commsgirl2016
    Options
    Oh I love mini scotch eggs. Think some of them will be in the basket later :-)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    How do they make a mini scotch egg? Do they use half an egg? I'm having a hard time picturing that. I've only had the regular size.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love a cold pasta salad for picnics. You mention you're not eating bread but not the reason; if it's not a carbohydrate thing, that would be a nice idea.

I believe if I were going to have a breadless picnic today I would have a salad of farfalle with roasted veg (tomato, broccoli, garlic, and onion sounds nice today), herbs, and a bit of parmesan and red pepper. Dress it with pasta water, a hit of acid, and maybe a touch of oil if it needs it.

And I'd bring along some wine and cheese and fruit. Obviously.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    How do they make a mini scotch egg? Do they use half an egg? I'm having a hard time picturing that. I've only had the regular size.

Quail eggs perhaps?
  • __TMac__
    Options
    That would make sense. Using a different/smaller kind of egg didn't occur to me.
  • commsgirl2016
    Options
    TmacMMM if myself and Runrutheerun are talking about the same thing these are what I mean.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/cocktail-sausages-scotch-eggs/asda-sharing-18-savoury-egg-bites/910002409442

I've just opted for wraps, never had lots of bread but find wraps nicer. I love pasta but unfortunately love it too much. Would need to make sure only took what we would eat. Pasta is my downfall.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Stuffed vine leaves, olives, cherry tomatoes would be my go-to for savoury picnic items. Strawberries & Black Pepper for sweet stuff.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is actually a bit calorie heavy but still one of my favorites for summer.

Couscous w/ dried fruit, radishes and nuts

Ingredients
    1/2 cup dry couscous
    - Orange juice – optional (add to or replace water boil for couscous)
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped radishes
    3 tablespoons finely cut green onions (scallions)
    3 tablespoons minced Italian or flat leaf parsley
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    12 very small tomatoes, such as Sweet 100s (optional, I don’t add them since tomatoes are gross )
    1/3 cup whole roasted, skin-on almonds (non salted, I sometimes slice them. I’ve tried them raw too and that works ok but I like the crunch of roasted)
    About ½ cup whole fresh mint leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, preferably Meyer lemon, more to taste
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste

Directions
    Cook Couscous per package instructions. After cooking fluff with fork.
    - There are different kinds of couscous. I usually make this one with golden (non pearl). It looks like a flat grain vs. a pearl/pea.
    Remove from heat, let cool, nearly completely, usually 15-20 minutes.
    Add all ingredients except oil and chill for a couple hours or up to 5 days.
    Before serving add oil and fluff.

This recipe scales up for more servings nicely, just be sure to leave enough room to cool and fluff the couscous.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    TmacMMM if myself and Runrutheerun are talking about the same thing these are what I mean.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/cocktail-sausages-scotch-eggs/asda-sharing-18-savoury-egg-bites/910002409442

I've just opted for wraps, never had lots of bread but find wraps nicer. I love pasta but unfortunately love it too much. Would need to make sure only took what we would eat. Pasta is my downfall.

Ah! So it's not a whole egg in there, like a regular scotch egg, but an egg mixture. Got it.

(I'm in the U.S., but travel to Glasgow every two years or so, so I have regular scotch egg experience. And pork pies. And bacon rolls. Which I dream about.)