Chronic Pain

Options
I want to lose weight to feel comfortable in my clothes again! I also want to have more energy. I've also read a recent TIME magazine article on exercise with the conclusion that exercise helps combat chronic pain. I have fibromyalgia and I suffer from severe migraines and IBS, I'm hoping that by increasing the amount of daily exercise I might also be able to decrease the severity of my symptoms.

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have chronic Sciatica from a back injury and torn rotator cuff (happened at the same time) and the back needs surgery. I also have GERD and a Gastric Ulcer. But I'm exercising hard because I feel like I have nothing else to lose...and it really does help. There are days where it makes my back or shoulder feel worse, but then I just adjust the type of exercise instead of skipping a day (that seems to make pain worse or more sporadic). Like instead of my High Impact Classes, I take Pilates and Yoga and then Swim laps (I'm a terrible swimmer, so it's always major cardio effort for me). But yes! Try it. It has even improved my GERD a bit.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight to feel comfortable in my clothes again! I also want to have more energy. I've also read a recent TIME magazine article on exercise with the conclusion that exercise helps combat chronic pain. I have fibromyalgia and I suffer from severe migraines and IBS, I'm hoping that by increasing the amount of daily exercise I might also be able to decrease the severity of my symptoms.

Ditto to the pain syndromes you have. Resounding yes to the exercise helping. It just takes TIME. Some days it sucks. At first you will feel more sore (like anyone would, only worse). Push through!! I will say that sloooooly getting back into lifting and light cardio has reduced my pain an astounding amount (muscle pain and cramps diagnosed as fibromyalgia).

Start easy. Like very short walks and simple body weight exercises. Do not work to failure. Do less than you are capable of. I avoided doing anything that would make me sore for a few months while I got my body used to moving again. Then I slowly began increasing and eventually got back into heavy weight lifting. I still back off frequently and progress slower than I would otherwise.

It's only my experience, but from What i have read it's a common one. And exercise in the #1 recommended thing to help the pain of fibromyalgia. Best of luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. For ex, every other day or only a few minutes a day and then if you feel o.k increase the amount after one week.
    Yoga is good, or Tai Chi -- best to do those with a certified teacher, esp in the beginning.
    Swimming is good. Walking is good. Youtube has some stretching videos for sciatica.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain. Scoliosis, Back injuries, systemic Lupus erythmatosis, arthritis, and migraine.

Losing weight definitely helped with the pain. But it was only part of the picture. My doctor put me on a prescription NSAID, indomethicin (indocin) that was a miracle for me. It almost completely ended my chronic migraines, and brought my joint pain and GI distress down to manageable levels that in turn enabled me to become far more active. He also put me on a high dose of vitamin D.

I toughed out pain with no relief for years, and the pain increasingly stole my life from me. Without getting that under control to some degree, I dint know if I could have succeeded so much in weight loss, though I certainly would've made it down to 180 on sheer willpower and diet. I'm 154 now, from a high oh 270.

But simply existing is so much easier at this lower weight . The arthritis is still there, but not so crippling. The migraines are rare. I only occasionally get GI inflammation. My heart works so much less, that I can cope on days when my lupus attacks it much better. I get better sleep.

It is 100% worth the effort. It won't cure you, but it'll make living with health problems a lot easier.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps but pace yourself. Going all out straight away had me bed ridden a few times

My issues were always put down to "your fat, lose a couple stone and it will stop"

The hospital reviewed my notes and noticed my bloods had been coming back abnormal for a few things for years

They put me on a few meds and the old gp shoved me on high dose codiene and just told me to take it constantly 4 times every day. I managed to exercise in cycles masking the pain

I moved recently and had to change gp, i told him i skip codiene unless the pains at bed ridden levels and since ive lost 10 stone but pain is worse how much more do i need to lose

Finally a doctor who didnt put it down to weight. He explained the years of not being treated left crystals in my joints damaging them

He started amitriptyline at night, getting up is easier now, migraines are less frequent too. I can now hike and run most days and i carry my son on my back while i walk or hike for miles without problems ( cant carry in arms for more than a few minutes, my wrists and elbows wont allow it )

Yoga i find helpful too for gentle stretching helping with flexability

Good shoes are important too even for walking i would suggest going to a running store to be fitted properly

If im not wearing the right supportive shoes then all the joints from my hips down to my toes are agony after even a short walk
  • christinecameron901
    christinecameron901 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,I had to have a cervical laminectomy on my neck a few years back because I suffer from Neuropathy in the legs.The surgery helped,but I still have the Neuropathy.I find walking helps and have managed to lose weight doing it. :)
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My fibromyalgia pain is eased by more exercise. I think it's worth a try for you. Start easy with walks and if you can then gradually increase distance. I hope it can work for you.

Yes whoever mentioned good shoes - yes! If you start getting stabby or sharp foot pains then you need better supportive inserts and/or shoes right away. Not all shoes are equal even amongst higher price name brand athletic shoes.