Intermittent fasting/8 hour diet questions

Options
KeshNZ
KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
Hi :-)

I'd like to try intermittent fasting using the 16/8 method (fasting 16 hours a day). I've never tried fasting except I do find on weekends I can happily skip lunch. I also have some issues with low blood pressure/hypoglycemic symptoms at times so I'm a little worried about that.

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone else out there fasts this way:

Will it be safe for me to fast with low blood pressure?
Would it be better to have a morning or evening eating window? Say eating from 7am-3pm, or eating from 12pm-8pm? I work out at night so need to ensure I'll have enough energy to get through my workouts without fainting!
Is it best to start out slow by following the fasting pattern for say 3 days a week and gradually work up to 7 days, or do I go all in?
Do I still restrict my calories on fasting days?

Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    KeshNZ wrote: »

I'd like to try intermittent fasting using the 16/8 method (fasting 16 hours a day). I've never tried fasting except I do find on weekends I can happily skip lunch. I also have some issues with low blood pressure/hypoglycemic symptoms at times so I'm a little worried about that.

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone else out there fasts this way:

Would it be better to have a morning or evening eating window? Say eating from 7am-3pm, or eating from 12pm-8pm? I work out at night so need to ensure I'll have enough energy to get through my workouts without fainting!
    Is it best to start out slow by following the fasting pattern for say 3 days a week and gradually work up to 7 days, or do I go all in?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about your other issues, but wanted to comment on the bolded. Fasting is not magical, it doesn't mean you can eat more calories - you still have to count calories and meet your goal. It's possible to do IF but maintain or gain.

You may find it a way to control your intake - I do it because I prefer eating bigger meals, and eating later. If I eat early I use up calories and feel more hungry!
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not magical, it doesn't mean you can eat more calories - you still have to count calories and meet your goal. It's possible to do IF but maintain or gain

Apologies, I should have clarified - I meant to say do I eat the same amount of calories on a fasting day that I would on a non-fasting day?

E.g. do I make 2 meals + a snack equal the same calories as my usual 3 meals and 2 snacks that I eat each day?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not magical, it doesn't mean you can eat more calories - you still have to count calories and meet your goal. It's possible to do IF but maintain or gain

Apologies, I should have clarified - I meant to say do I eat the same amount of calories on a fasting day that I would on a non-fasting day?

E.g. do I make 2 meals + a snack equal the same calories as my usual 3 meals and 2 snacks that I eat each day?

Up to you. Toggling calories sounds more like the 5:2 method of fasting... I wouldn't reduce calories too much on training days though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You have to talk to your doctor about how diet/meal schedule will interfere with your medical issues.

Apart from that:
    Fasting is the same as not eating. Intermittent fasting is the same as not eating all the time. Healthy adults suffer no ill effect from skipping or postponing a meal. You need enough food. Not eating enough is not good for a number of reasons, including, ironically, that it can trigger overeating.

When you eat, is up to preference. You can try one schedule, and then another. Find one you like.

As mentioned, you aren't fasting just because you aren't eating all the time. You can eat 16/8 every day, or once a week, or every Monday and every other Thursday if you want to. You can also eat 20/4, or 12/12, or 14/10, or 10/14. The only difference this makes, is how easy it will be for you to follow a healthy diet.

If you want to lose weight, you have to restrict calories. You don't have to eat the same number of calories each day, in fact, lots of people have success with "banking" calories for the weekend, or eating more on exercise days, or days they just feel more hungry. Humans are remarkably adaptable and can thrive on a wide range of diets and eating patterns. But we all have to eat enough, and we all get overweight if we eat too much.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You'll have to determine the window that works best.
    It will also probably be easier once you start to just keep going. BUT, if you have a day or two that you don't IF, it's not a big deal. You want to look big picture/long term with this or any other health / fitness tool.
    Also to be noted & emphasized again is that IF is not magic. 16:8 is nothing more than a schedule. If you eat too much during your window, you will gain weight.
    The 5:2 protocol & ADF, are designed for weight loss.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor first before jumping in.

IF is just another tool, like calorie counting. When I do it (third trimester right now, very low blood sugar so I have to eat every 2-3 hours max, will be returning to it after baby comes.) I do my window from 1:30pm-9:30pm. I tend to workout after my husband wakes up around 12:30, then I break my fast with my first meal. Other wise I will eat first and then work out some time in my feeding window. Just depends really. If you are one of those people that need to workout fed first, then maybe a later window would accommodate your workout routine best.

I enjoy IF because I am one of those people that needs to feel stuffed to be happy. I hate feeling hungry and when I eat small meals every 2-3 hours I just end up consuming more calories or being cranky all day. Eating 2 very large meals and a snack, keeps me totally full in between meals and then I'm in bed anyway. It just helps me to manage my calories in a way that works best for my life style.

You would eat whatever your calorie target is on all days. You would just likely have bigger meals, and fewer of them.

16/8 is just one of the easier windows. I have noticed that many naturally lean people I know tend to only eat in a 6-8 hour window naturally. VS myself who's normal feeding window would be as long as I am awake (lol, really though.)

I would jump into it personally, the first few days might be hard but then you stop really getting hungry before your window. Again, talk to your doctor first.
  • tbcrocks
    tbcrocks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i think 12-8 is easier to maintain and you can still ewat with family and friends. i couldn be done at 3pm because there is still so much to do throughout the day and parties and dinner dates etc, so i think 12-8 is better than 7-3. i do 11-7 .
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    tbcrocks wrote: »
    i think 12-8 is easier to maintain and you can still ewat with family and friends. i couldn be done at 3pm because there is still so much to do throughout the day and parties and dinner dates etc, so i think 12-8 is better than 7-3. i do 11-7 .

?? None of the above add up to 24 hours. IF is typically thought of in 24 hours Fast/ Eat segments.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

?? None of the above add up to 24 hours. IF is typically thought of in 24 hours Fast/ Eat segments.

She's talking about times. Noon to 8 pm, vs 7 am to 3 pm etc
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

She's talking about times. Noon to 8 pm, vs 7 am to 3 pm etc

Ahhh, thanks Rybo! I obviously confuse easily.... :D
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8 method. I usually fast from 7pm to 11am but choose what works for you. Do you have a method to check your blood pressure. Usually they recommend drinking some bone broth in there, but I just use organic chicken broth. Always stop fasting if you start to feel unwell.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fast with low blood pressure. It's not hard to go hypoglycemic and the symptoms are similar between hypoglycemia and low BP