Bread & real butter is my weakness

LanaMua
LanaMua Posts: 14 Member
As a child we had bread with every lunch and dinner meals. Now its just a go to for when im hungry. Any ideas of how to cut down or substitutes?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    There isn't one...how good is delicious bread and butter?

But, I don't eat it often as I'd rather spend calories on other food. I don't snack. I eat meals with loads of vegies, proteins and good fats which are flavourful and satisfying. I could eat a loaf of bread if given the opportunity, but there's many delicious things to eat that are more satiating imo
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    YUM! Bread and butter is basically my favorite thing ever.

I honestly just don't buy good bakery bread that often anymore. When i do, I enjoy it so damn much. Since it isn't often I don't sweat it. Just don't keep it in the house if you'd rather eat something else as a go to, or pair a slice of bread and butter with a protein so its a bit more filling. Although I for one am easily filled by carbs :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    There isn't one...how good is delicious bread and butter?

But, I don't eat it often as I'd rather spend calories on other food. I don't snack. I eat meals with loads of vegies, proteins and good fats which are flavourful and satisfying. I could eat a loaf of bread if given the opportunity, but there's many delicious things to eat that are more satiating imo

x2

Last year my mom asked me to pick up a baguette from Panera for dinner. It never made it off the highway and I'm sure I had lacerations on my esophagus when I got home lol
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    n the darn restos all bring u steamy breads n butter while u wait! criminals! :D

seriously, i will eat a half or quarter roll n tell the waiter to take it away before it wears me down :s
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Eat the bread! Eat the butter! Switch to the highest quality that you can afford, so that it's automatically more of a treat than an everyday kind of thing. (For me) this works because I'm more likely to make something "special" be worth it than use it as mindless snacking to grabbing it when I'm too hungry to appreciate it.
  • xospa812
    xospa812 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    I am a huge bread and butter person too! I get the Sara Lee bread (45 calories a slice) or the Natures Own Life (40 calories a slice), toast it, and practically drench it in the 0 calorie spray butter... I find this really satisfies my craving. Since the slices are so low in calories, help yourself to more than 1! I usually do this as my morning toast, but since I have cravings for bread and butter around dinner, have been including this with my dinner as well
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I still eat bread every day, sometimes multiple times a day. There needs to be a choice made: would you rather cut on bread or cut on something else? It's like a Tetris game, your choice how you want to fit the pieces. What food(s) you currently eat you feel would be easiest to reduce? You could reduce that and use the calories for bread and butter if you wish.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    It's like a Tetris game,

All it took was this, and now the music is stuck in my head. XD

If you really enjoy it, I'd suggest figuring out how to fit it into your calorie/macro allotments. If it's difficult for you to be moderate in enjoying it, buy smaller amounts less often so that it's not around to tempt and torment you.
  • xospa812
    xospa812 wrote: »
    I am a huge bread and butter person too! I get the Sara Lee bread (45 calories a slice) or the Natures Own Life (40 calories a slice), toast it, and practically drench it in the 0 calorie spray butter... I find this really satisfies my craving. Since the slices are so low in calories, help yourself to more than 1! I usually do this as my morning toast, but since I have cravings for bread and butter around dinner, have been including this with my dinner as well

You do realise that 0 calorie spray has calories...?

I do- it only takes ~5-10 sprays to cover a piece of toast! And 10 sprays is about 10 calories
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

I do- it only takes ~5-10 sprays to cover a piece of toast! And 10 sprays is about 10 calories

Have you ever weighed the bread before and after 'drenching' for certainty? because it is just oil. It's pretty calorific if you slather it on...
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    For me it's a life-long habit as my culture is Mediterranean. Choose proper breads that have very few ingredients and are whole grain, as this will keep you satisfied for longer and will have only the necessary amount of carbs. I usually have it in my morning toast, but try to only eat it again in one of the other meals: either lunch or dinner, and only about half of what I used to have before.
    This is for maintenance, if I'm trying to drop a few pounds I will only have it once a day, preferably rye-based as it packs more protein and fiber (the German-style dense brown ones, if you like them, are the most macro-friendly and healthy. Check in the ingredients if it's made of ground rye).
  • xospa812

Have you ever weighed the bread before and after 'drenching' for certainty? because it is just oil. It's pretty calorific if you slather it on...

No-

I was just sharing what I do to satisfy my craving and it works for me. I've been losing weight while doing this daily so I don't think I need to worry about it to the extent where I need to weigh one slice of toast (that is excessive in my opinion). If you don't like what I do, you don't need to do it yourself :/ everyone has their own way, I was just sharing mine....
    I don't think 5-10 sprays of spray butter on low cal toast is going to derail your entire weight loss program, especially if it helps you get through a craving
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Eat the bread! Eat the butter! Switch to the highest quality that you can afford, so that it's automatically more of a treat than an everyday kind of thing. (For me) this works because I'm more likely to make something "special" be worth it than use it as mindless snacking to grabbing it when I'm too hungry to appreciate it.

Seconded.

If you like bread/butter (which I, and the family, do/does), make sure ...
    1. you preplan to incorporate the macro counts into your daily targets so you don't overshoot mindlessly
    2. make it good stuff
    3. make it if you can ...

ok, maybe not homemade butter, but a good butter. The family likes Kerrygold. But you CAN easily bake your own bread. That way you're getting a higher quality without a lot of additives, and I can swear that whether it's "dough conditioners" or one of the other ingredients, commercial bread seems to be the quick ticket to weight gain.

Homemade bread can be just four ingredients: flour, yeast, salt (a bit) and water. there's a "no knead" method that takes about 10 minutes of easy work interspersed into an an approx. three-hour cycle from start to finished loaf cooling (see the "artisanbreadwithstev" youtube channel for a representative "quick" [or as he says, "turbo"] method). you can progressively make more complex products (whole wheat, rye, oat, etc.; with included seeds/nuts/herbs, added ingredients such as whey or other protein, etc.) as you get more comfortable. and they're cheaper than commercial loaves. You can use a food processor or stand mixer to knead a dough easily if you want to go that way also (i.e., don't need a dedicated "bread machine").

the family finds they can eat less, and be more satisfied, with good products such as these.