Ice Skating when Obese/Overweight?

Options
Hi!

I was wondering: do you guys think ice skating would be a good activity to do when in a higher weight range? I used to figure skate back in middle school and high school (when I was in the normal BMI range) and it was one of the only sports I've ever truly loved. Now that it's been a few years and I've gained a considerable amount of weight, I was wondering if it was still possible to do at least basic ice skating without overexerting/injuring myself. Some family members have expressed concern, saying I should focus mostly on dieting/food choices and get back down to about a BMI of 25-27 before starting to incorporate regular exercise. Do you guys think ice skating is "too much" exercise for a heavier person?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Agree with tavistocktoad. ^^^. h

• Sakura_Marie
    Sakura_Marie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! I will definitely start getting back into ice skating this summer :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I started Taekwondo at a BMI of 34 so I saw p'shaw to your family! You have the background so it's not like you're going to end up flat on your butt. Start slow and work up to it, but absolutely go for it.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You definitely can do it! One of the best things about skating as you can scale it to how you feel. Do what you love! I'm just getting back into to skating as well. Have found a synchro team to start with again in the fall so will be getting on the ice now to get ready for it. Wishing you all the best!
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I play hockey with a couple guys that are whoppers. They still skate and move well.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, as long as you realize that you aren't going to be at the same level you once were. Start slow and progress. Jumps are going to be a little harder on your joints while you are carrying extra weight. Have fun!
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how obese you are, but I've skated at a weight of 290. My back got sore, but as long as you listen to your body and don't overdo it you should be good to go. I was actively playing hockey while obese to the tune of ~250-270 pounds.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ice skating was a sweat-inducing thing for me when I did it while very obese, so, yeah.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as your ankles are strong enough not to cave and you don't go trying jumps until you're solid on stroking and spinning again. Then I'd re-start with the basics. Bunny hop, waltz jump, etc. Although, for exercise on ice skates nothing beats stroking, so maybe don't even bother with anything else :smiley:

Good skates would help - those rental things are crap. I'd have had problems with them even when I was competing as a kid.
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am 280 and can skate like I'm a 120lb figure skater. My only advice is watch your ankle support. Avoid rentals and pick up clear hockey tape if you feel your ankles are unstable. Couple wraps around to hold the boot tighter
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I taught myself how to ice skate at 250+ pounds. It wasn't easy. I could only skate 5 - 10 minutes at a time before I needed to stop to catch my breath. But I was determined so I kept going.

Then I was able to last a little longer. I would come home and see that I sweated through 3 layers of clothes. I didn't do any fancy moves at this time.

Soon I started seeing results on the scale (in addition to changing my diet).

Now years later I can ice skate for an hour non-stop and barely break a sweat and I don't get out of breath.

I do advise to get properly fitted for ice skates at a pro shop. They can mold the skate for your foot and make sure they fit properly.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, skating as a teenager and then skating as a large breasted obese woman definitely creates a new centre of balance. I found that out when I joined a women's hockey team several years ago lol. I'm now a "normal" bmi but hadnt had skates on since I'd lost weight, so once again, I had to make slight adjustments when I stepped on the ice this past winter. Being active is all about doing things you enjoy and i'd forgotten how much I loved to skate. Go for it!!!!!
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight. The few times I went ice skating I had a lot of fun.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. No one is too big or too old or too small to skate. If you like to sate do it.

Your skates will break down faster though at a heavier weight. I ruined a pair skating while I was pregnant. My beautiful grey suede custom boots. :( I'm in my third pair since burning hard on boots but get out and skate.
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely do it!!! I have a BMI of almost 30 and I love ice skating so so much. My rink is down for repairs, but I used to burn like 1000 calories skating 3hrs a day.