Has anyone who is at goal or close seen their "trouble areas" finally tone up/lose fat ?

Options
brendacs21
brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
I've never been at a healthy weight for my height (I am 5'2) . I notice when I lose weight it always goes from my waist down. But my stomach and arms/ upper back still have a lot of fat. I know you cannot spot reduce , but I was wondering if anyone who did make it to their healthy weight/goal weight or is close to it, if you finally saw changes in those trouble hard to lose areas? thank you!

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Chances are, that when you get to that healthy weight your body will even itself out, or you might always been larger on top - that's genetics.

I was ALWAYS bottom heavy. Butt, hips and thighs for days. I started at 193 and 5'11 and a size 16 pants. This was at 32. Now, at 38, I'm 160ish, and my weight has shifted to more my belly and chest, wearing an 6-8 on the bottom and still M/L tops. I tend to not have an issue with my lower body any more and tend to wear smaller sizes on the bottom than the top. It really just depends on where you lose it.

But you could do more strength building on your bottom half to add bulk that way to balance out your top and bottom if that unbalance bothers you. But honestly, I think the closer you get to that healthy weight you'll see everything catches up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Nope, unfortunately I haven't.. (yet). While my stubborn areas got a bit better, they really didn't go away. I will see after this bulk/cut cycle if I come close, but something tells me unless I get stage lean, it will never happen.
  • CaseySteenport
    CaseySteenport Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just hit my first goal weight and unfortunately I still have a decent spare tire. Making me re-evaluate my next goal weight.
  • brendacs21
    Options
    Interesting, thank you so much for your responses! I have lost a very decent amount already in my breasts, butt and legs. I do not want to lose any more there! I don't even think there is anything left to lose TBH. But I have a great amount of fat in my stomach, arms and upper back. I wish we could tell our body where the fat needs to go from! This is the first time in my life that along with changing my eating habits I have started working out. I am hoping it helps with the changes I would like to see in my body!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes, to me it seems like it comes off proportionally. But it does come off everywhere that there is fat. However, I am eating a keto diet that is a fat burning diet and I attribute fat disappear to that diet. I also weight lift and swing a heavy kettle bell which has allowed me to maintain muscle mass.

I took measurements every four weeks and these are my results.

Successful weight loss 1/17 - 5/20/17

Measurements January 1, 2017
    Neck- 13 inches
    Above chest 36 inches
    Below chest 33 inches
    Left bicep 11 inches
    Right bicep 11 inches
    Waist 31.5 inches
    Hips 39.5 inches
    Left thigh 23.5 inches
    Right thigh 23.5 inches
    Left calf 14.25 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Measurements January 28, 2017
    Neck -13 inches
    Above chest- 33 inches
    Below chest -32.5 inches
    Left bicep - 10.5 inches
    Right bicep-10.5 inches
    Waist -30.25 inches
    Hips -38.75 inches
    Left thigh- 22.5 inches
    Right thigh – 22.5 inches
    Left calf 14 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Total inches lost over all – 9 inches

Measurements February 26th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-33 inches
    Below chest-32.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.25 inches
    Right bicep-2.5 inches
    Waist -28.5 inches
    Hips-38 inches
    Left thigh-22 inches
    Right thigh-22 inches
    Left calf-13.5 inches
    Right calf-13.25 inches

Total inches lost = 5 inches

Measurements March 24th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-32.5inches
    Below chest-31.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.125 inches
    Right bicep-10.125 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-36.75 inches
    Left thigh-21.25 inches
    Right thigh-21 inches
    Left calf-12.5 inches
    Right calf-12.5 inches

Total inches lost = 8 inches

Measurements April 22nd
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-31inches
    Below chest-31.25inches
    Left bicep -9.75 inches
    Right bicep-9.5 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-35.75 inches
    Left thigh-20.5 inches
    Right thigh-20.25 inches
    Left calf-14.25 inches
    Right calf-13.75 inches

Total inches lost = 4 inches with a gain of 3 inches in my calf's?? Maybe water retention or muscle?? Or maybe I wrote the wrong number down last time! I did doublecheck this time! I am even up in my calfs from February

Measurements May 26
    Nick-12 inches. -1 inch
    Above chest -31 inches. - 5 inches
    Below chest-30.75 inches. - 2.25 inches
    Left bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Right bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Waist 26 inches. - 5.5 inches
    Hips 35 inches. - 4.5 inches
    Left thigh 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Right by 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Left calf 13.5 inches. - .75 inches
    Right calf 13 inches. - .75 inches

Total inches lost = 4.75 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25 muscle?

Grand total inches lost = 32 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25

SW – 158.6
    January – 151.8 loss of 6.8 lbs
    February - 142.8 loss of 9 lbs
    March 24 137.6 loss of 5.2 lbs
    April 22 - 133.2 loss of 4.4 lbs
    May 26- 127.6 loss of 5.6 lbs
    Total weight loss equals 31 lbs

Not too bad for a 59-year-old with many medical issues!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    brendacs21 wrote: »
    Interesting, thank you so much for your responses! I have lost a very decent amount already in my breasts, butt and legs. I do not want to lose any more there! I don't even think there is anything left to lose TBH. But I have a great amount of fat in my stomach, arms and upper back. I wish we could tell our body where the fat needs to go from! This is the first time in my life that along with changing my eating habits I have started working out. I am hoping it helps with the changes I would like to see in my body!

Wow you are the complete opposite of me! I have fat in my chest, butt (especially underbutt), legs/thighs. I am super lean on my arms, back, and my abs (well what little abs I have) are starting to come through. I really wish we could yell at that fat and tell it where to go! :p
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    brendacs21 wrote: »
    I've never been at a healthy weight for my height (I am 5'2) . I notice when I lose weight it always goes from my waist down. But my stomach and arms/ upper back still have a lot of fat.

Your abdomen is above your waist?

I'm pear-shaped and even at a low weight I always have more fat in my butt and hips than I'd like. It's genetics.
  • brendacs21
    Options
    I consider myself Apple shaped although measurements I've taken and put into online calculators say I'm banana /straight. Seems like my stomach area keeps Alot of fat . My legs look thin but the 2 large love handles won't go!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Eventually, yes. Although sometimes the effort is ridiculously massive and really not worth it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "Trouble areas" are typically primary fat stores...they are typically first on, last off. As you continue to lose weight, primary fat stores are ultimately going to be burned off...

ETA: I personally don't know anyone who is 100% happy with their bodies...even some of the fittest and leanest people I know find something they don't like which is why I'm always going to be working in the gym and riding my bike.

I'm 99% happy with mine. And I only say that because saying I'm 100% happy might sound conceited. Terrible, I know. Nobody's body is perfect, including mine, but for me, my body is pretty awesome. I can't really complain. It's strong, healthy and fairly fit, it has a cool shape to it and is pleasant to look at, and it does what I need it to do. So I'm totally happy with it! B) I guess either I have relaxed standards or high self esteem or maybe a combination of the two. ;) Somebody else might look at me and start listing off all the "trouble areas" that I don't even notice.

Trouble areas are in the eye of the beholder. It's hard to say when, if ever, someone's trouble areas will go away. Some people will never be happy with their bodies. Other people are more accepting of imperfection. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I worked on "trouble areas" by putting in a crap ton of work. I lost weight while lifting to maintain a good muscle base, then ate in a surplus, really focusing on the area I wanted to improve. I gained muscle, and fat along with it. It really is a process. Not done in a month. Barely done in a year (AFTER initial weight loss)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Eventually, yes. Although sometimes the effort is ridiculously massive and really not worth it!

Not to derail but I see you have added a photo and.. just.. wow.. clearly your massive effort shows!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    yay!!!!! I've been curious lol @livingleanlivingclean
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Not to derail but I see you have added a photo and.. just.. wow.. clearly your massive effort shows!
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    yay!!!!! I've been curious lol @livingleanlivingclean

I found some pics going through my phone, and thought I'd stick one up.... That was a couple of years ago, last time I competed :)
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Yes, to me it seems like it comes off proportionally. But it does come off everywhere that there is fat. However, I am eating a keto diet that is a fat burning diet and I attribute fat disappear to that diet. I also weight lift and swing a heavy kettle bell which has allowed me to maintain muscle mass.

I took measurements every four weeks and these are my results.

Successful weight loss 1/17 - 5/20/17

Measurements January 1, 2017
    Neck- 13 inches
    Above chest 36 inches
    Below chest 33 inches
    Left bicep 11 inches
    Right bicep 11 inches
    Waist 31.5 inches
    Hips 39.5 inches
    Left thigh 23.5 inches
    Right thigh 23.5 inches
    Left calf 14.25 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Measurements January 28, 2017
    Neck -13 inches
    Above chest- 33 inches
    Below chest -32.5 inches
    Left bicep - 10.5 inches
    Right bicep-10.5 inches
    Waist -30.25 inches
    Hips -38.75 inches
    Left thigh- 22.5 inches
    Right thigh – 22.5 inches
    Left calf 14 inches
    Right calf 13.75 inches

Total inches lost over all – 9 inches

Measurements February 26th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-33 inches
    Below chest-32.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.25 inches
    Right bicep-2.5 inches
    Waist -28.5 inches
    Hips-38 inches
    Left thigh-22 inches
    Right thigh-22 inches
    Left calf-13.5 inches
    Right calf-13.25 inches

Total inches lost = 5 inches

Measurements March 24th
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-32.5inches
    Below chest-31.5 inches
    Left bicep -10.125 inches
    Right bicep-10.125 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-36.75 inches
    Left thigh-21.25 inches
    Right thigh-21 inches
    Left calf-12.5 inches
    Right calf-12.5 inches

Total inches lost = 8 inches

Measurements April 22nd
    Neck-13 inches
    Above chest-31inches
    Below chest-31.25inches
    Left bicep -9.75 inches
    Right bicep-9.5 inches
    Waist -27 inches
    Hips-35.75 inches
    Left thigh-20.5 inches
    Right thigh-20.25 inches
    Left calf-14.25 inches
    Right calf-13.75 inches

Total inches lost = 4 inches with a gain of 3 inches in my calf's?? Maybe water retention or muscle?? Or maybe I wrote the wrong number down last time! I did doublecheck this time! I am even up in my calfs from February

Measurements May 26
    Nick-12 inches. -1 inch
    Above chest -31 inches. - 5 inches
    Below chest-30.75 inches. - 2.25 inches
    Left bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Right bicep 9.5 inches. - 1.5 inches
    Waist 26 inches. - 5.5 inches
    Hips 35 inches. - 4.5 inches
    Left thigh 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Right by 19.5 inches. - 4 inches
    Left calf 13.5 inches. - .75 inches
    Right calf 13 inches. - .75 inches

Total inches lost = 4.75 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25 muscle?

Grand total inches lost = 32 inches
    Inches gained = 1.25

SW – 158.6
    January – 151.8 loss of 6.8 lbs
    February - 142.8 loss of 9 lbs
    March 24 137.6 loss of 5.2 lbs
    April 22 - 133.2 loss of 4.4 lbs
    May 26- 127.6 loss of 5.6 lbs
    Total weight loss equals 31 lbs

Not too bad for a 59-year-old with many medical issues!

Thanks for sharing. Your results are very impressive. I'm going to measure just as you have.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much at goal now and my problem areas have cleared up.
    When I initially lost weight it was primarily in my upper body My problem area where I want to lose is the lower.
    When I gain weight my hourglass has the weight at the bottom so to speak. Always I have had a tiny upper body and big lower.

Around the time that I was nearing my previous lowest range that my lower body really started to change. When entering healthy BMI I could really see the the difference in my bottom area, though the fat storage was still visible and the difference between upper and lower body was still significant. Still saw visibly where my body preferred to store

It is now that I am in the middle of my BMI that the little fat pockets around my knees are gone, my thighs are becoming defined, but not fat, my legs look normal and my butt is regular sized. Only my calves, muscular as they are are big still (and very strong) There is still a difference in my now somewhat slender upper body and normal lower, but I am fine with it. I am continuing toning through weights and am happy with the way it is going
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I am pretty much at goal now and my problem areas have cleared up.
    When I initially lost weight it was primarily in my upper body My problem area where I want to lose is the lower.
    When I gain weight my hourglass has the weight at the bottom so to speak. Always I have had a tiny upper body and big lower.

Around the time that I was nearing my previous lowest range that my lower body really started to change. When entering healthy BMI I could really see the the difference in my bottom area, though the fat storage was still visible and the difference between upper and lower body was still significant. Still saw visibly where my body preferred to store

It is now that I am in the middle of my BMI that the little fat pockets around my knees are gone, my thighs are becoming defined, but not fat, my legs look normal and my butt is regular sized. Only my calves, muscular as they are are big still (and very strong) There is still a difference in my now somewhat slender upper body and normal lower, but I am fine with it. I am continuing toning through weights and am happy with the way it is going

It is my lower body that is an issue too - weight always goes to the stubborn fat pockets on the sides of my bum first, and leave there last. I'm lean now, but they are still there (to a much lesser extent, but still annoying to me!)... Very slowly they disappear, but it takes a lot of effort!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!