Professional Trainer Food - Ketogenic Diet

Options
Texan1976
Texan1976 Posts: 39 Member
I am starting today with a Ketogenic diet with food supplied by Professional Trainer Food. I had the next 28 days worth of food delivered to my home yesterday.

I certainly like removing the thought process and preparation of meals daily, especially during the early going. The Keto diet is a 5/25/70 macronutrient diet. Having only 5% of my diet to include carbohydrates will be new for me as I am a sucker for sugar.

We start these journeys to succeed, so success is on my mind.

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You have a whole months worth of food already?? It doesn't go bad?
  • Texan1976
    Options
    No, it stays in the freezer.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Do they provide detailed instructions on keto stuff - like electolytics?
  • lillymb06
    lillymb06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Texan! I'm also starting on a Keto diet. Today is actually going to be my first day I gotta admit I'm not too prepared but I kind of get the concept and this app helps a lot. I bought Keto sticks at HEB and that's as prepared as I am lol well I did have bacon and eggs this morning. We'll see how this goes it has to go check z I can not afford to "fall off the wagon" anymore.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did personal trainer food for a while.

Ultimately, the calories were too low to be sustainable, they're a bit expensive, and the food was kinda meh. They used to have "Chipotle chicken sticks". First I would order almost all my food as chipotle chicken sticks. Then they started restricting how much of a single item you can order. Then eventually they removed chipotle chicken sticks entirely.

Those things were like crack. Way better than the ones in the gas station.

I think personal trainer food is okay. Just wasn't enough calories for someone my size long term.

Personal Trainer Food taught me good food habits though

I learned that a meal should be a portion of protein (almost any kind) and a big serving of vegetables. Ever since then I buy frozen veggies and I eat in the same manner as PTF, just with grocery bought items instead.
  • Texan1976
    Options
    @Geocitiesuser Yes, the portions are small for me at a fluffy 6 ft and 298lbs. I will probably add eggs, cheese, and additional veggies to my daily once I start feeling malnourished. Right now the gallon of water and a few cherry tomatoes seem to handle the hunger.

@lillymb06 I would not consider myself prepared except the pre-prepared meals and ketone strips. I have a book on the way to read and better prepare as well. I will keep myself honest on the this site and track my progress. I finished today at 20/29/51 instead of 5/20/75 as suggested. (Carbs/Protein/Fat

@Bob314159 they mention the use of Gatorade in some of their online materials as an assist when entering ketosis or having problems with the diet.
  • lillymb06
    lillymb06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Texan1976 I finished today almost like you did, i find it sort of hard to keep up with the fat % and staying under my recommended calorie intake. But! Tomorrow is another day!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Texan1976 wrote: »
    @Geocitiesuser Yes, the portions are small for me at a fluffy 6 ft and 298lbs. I will probably add eggs, cheese, and additional veggies to my daily once I start feeling malnourished. Right now the gallon of water and a few cherry tomatoes seem to handle the hunger.

@lillymb06 I would not consider myself prepared except the pre-prepared meals and ketone strips. I have a book on the way to read and better prepare as well. I will keep myself honest on the this site and track my progress. I finished today at 20/29/51 instead of 5/20/75 as suggested. (Carbs/Protein/Fat

@Bob314159 they mention the use of Gatorade in some of their online materials as an assist when entering ketosis or having problems with the diet.

You might want to reevaluate the waiting until you feel malnourished part of it. You may not feel it until you really feel it. At that point it could take months to recover. Just something to give some serious thought to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You might want to reevaluate the waiting until you feel malnourished part of it. You may not feel it until you really feel it. At that point it could take months to recover. Just something to give some serious thought to.

Agreed. Would you wait until your car was making scary noises before you topped up the oil?
  • Texan1976
    Options
    @nutmegoreo @Alatariel75 Advice heeded. I will look into some diet add-on's today to try not to hit a wall.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo @Alatariel75 Advice heeded. I will look into some diet add-on's today to try not to hit a wall.

Awesome! All the best to you.
  • Texan1976
    Options
    Note to self. Monterey Chicken sticks good. Cheddar and Bacon chicken sticks not so good.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The chicken sticks aren't keto friendly really, FYI. They are the most delicious thing they have, but also the least nutritional.... breaded low grade chicken meat similar to what you get in a gas station on a hot roller. When I did personal trainer food I ordered basically nothing but the cheeseburger sticks, chicken sticks, and meatballs. Their veggie blends were hit and miss.

I know you're already "in" the plan, but take note of how you're eating, and think about how you can apply those same eating habits at the grocery store.

A frozen steamer bag of any veggie blend you want is between 1 and 3 dollars, and the super market sells bulk pre cooked chicken breasts, stuffed chicken breasts, meatballs, plain burger patties, etc. Even though personal trainer food wasn't the "answer" for me, I credit them a lot with teaching me some better eating habits. I was about your size. My highest weight was about 335lbs at one point, now I'm roughly 180lbs, at 6', and trying to work my way to 170.