Eating healthy in a College Cafeteria

Options
Making healthy choices in a college cafeteria can be very difficult...especially when the nutrition facts are not posted. The best trick I've found is just to be very careful about portion sizes, and to try and eat as balanced a diet as you can. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you know the name of the company who does your food, you should be able to find nutrition on their website, i.e.: Sodexho? I would just try to stay away from fried foods, try a salad, dressing on the side, and go with grilled fish or veggies, stay away from potatoes (especially mashed because there are all sorts of evil dirty things lurking in there that will add calories you won't know to count - milk, butter, MORE milk, MORE butter), eat green veggies if you can. No soda, only water.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    BYO - get to the grocery store, pack your food as often as possible, and bypass the cafeteria.
  • cranda58
    cranda58 Posts: 11
    Options
    lots of fruits and veggies, cant go wrong there. also cottage cheese is good, any sort of lean meats, but most importantly avoid the dessert section! haha its real easy to stray when you're in college and they give you a buffet and everyone around you is eating terribly without caring, but you can do it, just stay strong and write down what you eat
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had the hardest time doing that my first year. One thing I can say, don't go back for seconds! That's what killed me at first. I would eat what I got and saw the buffet and was like "hell, i could eat a bit more." That bit more can add up so be careful. Stay away from the pizzas, cheesy dishes, and fried food (my cafeteria would always have fried chicken and some type of cheesy casserole thing weekly). I agree with the response above, get a good salad going with dressing on the side. Also, fruit. Lots of fiber and satisfies that sweet craving.

That's the best I can do. I'm in my last year of college (no longer having to eat in the cafeteria) but buying healthy food on a small budget is extremely hard. Just try your best, drink lots of water, fit in exercise and you'll be fine. Good luck to you! Feel free to friend me :)