Vegan Fitness

Options
Hi there!

I have been vegan for several years now and am on a journey to make fitness and healthy nutrition a big part of my life. I don't really know anyone with similar goals and I think it would be great to meet new people with the same interests for motivation, support, or to share tips with! :)

Replies

• lysa916
    lysa916 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan ( my daughter is ). To support her and save on having to cook multiple meals for the different family members, I am trying very hard to eliminate animal products and utilize plant based proteins. I have severely limited my daily intake and drink nut milk. ( my son has a lactose issue ) . I am havin a great time recreating recipes without eggs and butter. Some times it's a fail :( . I would love to share healthy vegan meal and snack ideas! Have you tried coconut milk whipped with vegan protein powder? It make a really nice mousse or you can freeze it as pops!
  • hhvv77
    hhvv77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is great!
    I have not tried that but that sounds like it would be delish! Is there a special way to whip it or do you need to add anything?
    A big thing that I have been trying to eliminate is sugar - it is literally in everything and so many of my go-to meals have basically had to be taken off of my menu haha. So now I have a whooole big list of new recipes I want to try and experiment with! Trying to get in as many whole foods as I can!
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for 30-some years and I'm a big fan of Mediterranean foods and recipes: lots of chickpeas, lentils, nuts, squashes, rice, various beans, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, fresh or dried fruits, etc. Yum!

When it comes to exercise, I try to set a schedule for myself that includes 2 days of cardio, 1-2 days of yoga or stretching and 3 days of strength training. With the strength, I try to hit all muscle groups by breaking up the routines over the 3 days - pairing a large muscle group with a small one each time.

Good Luck!
  • fleis1111
    fleis1111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just tested positive for a gene that puts me at very high risk for bloodclots. Heart attacks took my dad and uncles (7 out of 10). I want to lose weight but want even more to live a long life and be around to raise my 3 daughters. My doctor said my risk is huge and my best chance to overcome my genetic risks is a vegan diet. So here I am. No idea how to do it but I'm trying to learn.
  • lysa916
    lysa916 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @hhvv77 so delicious makes a culinary coconut milk. Put it in the fridge so it is nice and cold. You can put agave syrup in it to sweeten a bit or coconut sugar. Use a hand mixer to beat it and it thickens. You can add protein powder. Pb powder, baking cocoa, fruit... what ever you want and then put it back into the fridge( or put into pop molds and freeze). ,
  • BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm not a vegan, but have been a vegetarian for 20+ years. Great ideas in this thread. Thank you!
  • ParanormaLauren
    ParanormaLauren Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but am plant-based. Doing pretty well but struggling on that protein. We can be friends! I post vegan meals often and happy to share recipes.
  • Mommyof6MN
    Mommyof6MN Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As of today, I'm transitioning to veganism
  • hhvv77
    hhvv77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So glad there are people interested in sharing vegan recipes!

I thought I would share this one I tried yesterday. I recently bought a spiralizer and this was my first time trying it out. My initial plans were to cook everything but I ended up just eating it all raw - its very good and quite healthy! It's a pasta carbonara receipt with zucchini noodles
    https://myvega.com/recipes/vegan-pasta-carbonara/
    I hate mushrooms so I skipped that part and am trying to think of what else I could sub in for it. Feel free to try it out and if you have any ideas of what to add let me know!
  • SABoj
    Options
    Chickpea Salad

2 (14 ounce) cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    ½ cup roasted red and/or yellow peppers, chopped
    ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
    ⅓ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
    Small bunch of parsley, chopped
    3 scallions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
    1 lemon, juiced
    Olive oil, to taste
    Salt and pepper, to taste

In a good-sized bowl, simply combine all the ingredients, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and squeeze a lemon over it all. Mix, and you're done!
  • lucindatweety
    lucindatweety Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to transition to a vegan diet, I was just diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and I know becoming a vegan is the best for my health.. I need encouragement, motivation, support, recipes and suggestions!
  • SABoj
    edited June 2017
    Options

Made this recipe yesterday:

Pesto Cauliflower & Potato Salad
    Serves: 3 to 4

1⁄2 pound cauliflower (about ½ small or ¼ medium cauliflower)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1⁄2 pound waxy yellow or white potatoes, unpeeled
    1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
    1⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or toasted pine nuts

Basil Pesto Dressing
    11⁄2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Remove the thick inner stem from the cauliflower, slice into thick 1-inch slabs.
    Preheat a cast-iron grill pan over high heat.
    Rub the cauliflower with olive oil and arrange the pieces in a single layer in the preheated pan.
    Grill the cauliflower until charred on the outside and crisp-tender inside, about 4 to 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
    Transfer the cauliflower to a cutting board, chop into bite-size pieces, and place in a large mixing bowl.
    Peel and dice the potato into 1⁄2-inch pieces, transfer to a large saucepan, cover with 4 inches of cold water, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes, or until almost tender.
    Stir in the peas and cook another minute. Reserve 1⁄4 cup of cooking water, then drain the potatoes and peas and rinse with cold water. Add these vegetables to the cauliflower.
    In a food processor, pulse together the pesto ingredients plus 2 tablespoons of the potato cooking water until smooth. Spoon onto the vegetables, add the nuts, and combine thoroughly.
    Cover and chill for 10 minutes to blend flavors. Serve the salad slightly chilled or at room temperature. Enjoy!