Calling all homeschooling parents I NEED your help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We home school our girls ages 8 and 11. We use a mish mash of curriculum because I haven't found a package that I like everything about. Math- we use Saxon, Science- Apologia, English and Spelling- Rod and Staff, History- The Story of the World and All American History, Plus whatever I find that's interesting along the way. We have never had cause to regret our choice to home school. Our children are well socialized, well behaved, have friends, and are involved in activities through the local HS group. They will have a graduation ceremony when they finish. I wish you much success in your journey!!
  • Trulyfree
    Trulyfree Posts: 21
    Options
    There are an overwhelming amount of choices for curriculum out there, that's for sure! We are approaching our second year. I think I'll do Sonlight's history again as it covers several grade levels so you don't have to buy a separate curriculum for each child. I also love the literature that they cover and how that re-enforces what they are learning in history.

We'll continue with Saxon math. It's very thorough and I'm very happy with what my children have learned. I've found that although there are some that may be more appealing and "fun", they are not necessarily as thorough and well written. Math is too important to me to compromise on. Saxon is great and like anything you can make it as fun or as boring as you choose. It's all about how you teach your children and your approach and attitude to a subject. They will follow your lead!

My priorities are reading, writing, spelling and math. Not every subject has to be Christian based. We have our bible/devotional time each day and that's a life long education anyway! We try to keep God in the center of everything we do.

I'll be teaching 4th, 3rd, 1st and Pre-K this year! It's a big challenge and a huge responsibility. It's also a calling, so I know God will direct my steps, even to the smallest detail!

Wishing all you home-schooling mothers the best for this upcoming school year and on your journey with MFP. You are amazing!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Hey there, as for support groups, there are a number on the local level. Also, a great resource to help you sort through curricula, support issues and legal issues is the Home School Legal Defense Association. www.hslda.org
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest as I am fascinated by the home school culture in the US, are you doing this because of your faith and do you teach them science, as in evolution etc and geography, specifically how the world was formed and changed over time etc also do you teach world religions and tolerance for the views of other beliefs etc? I am genuinely interested as home schooling seems to be such a big thing in the states and I am not familiar with it in the same way here.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    OP, I forgot to mention in my earlier post, do you have access to any used curriculum stores anywhere near you? I know you said you live far from a lot of resources but a good consignment store could be worth a drive. My favorite one is almost an hour from me so I spend time on the internet researching different options. Then I plan a day and go to the consignment store to drop off our items and look at what I'm interested in in person. If you have any homeschool conventions come reasonably close to you try to make one of those as well. If you do find a homeschool group see if you can arrange a "curriculum day" where people bring in a sample of the curriculum they use and tell you what they like/don't like. You could also have a swap that same day since we always seem to have items we just never got around to using or found we didn't like once we started them. Good luck!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest as I am fascinated by the home school culture in the US, are you doing this because of your faith and do you teach them science, as in evolution etc and geography, specifically how the world was formed and changed over time etc also do you teach world religions and tolerance for the views of other beliefs etc? I am genuinely interested as home schooling seems to be such a big thing in the states and I am not familiar with it in the same way here.

While I don't home school (I would if I was able) my daughter attends a private Christian school. They teach creationism and then evolve into teaching evolution in high school so they are well rounded and know both sides. In high school they learn about all the different religions of the world. My daughter has already been exposed to several just because I have friends of different faiths than my own. While her school may teach her the basics of Christianity and more secular aspects I want her to be well rounded. I have friends that at Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Jewish (including the man I'm dating), Wiccan, Pagan, Athiest, and Buddist. She knows my view points and why I believe what I do...she agrees with me right now. I will not force her into a box even though she does attend a Christian school.
    Also, I prefer private school over public for a whole lot of reasons...the teaching for one (my daughter is already on a 3rd grade level of reading and math...she'll start second grade this year), the size of the classes is much smaller, the attention is based on the child not 'the system', the food is much better, arts and recess time are still there (most music, arts, recess, and 'fun' have been taken out of the American school system so they can focus more on standardized testing). While it is costly, knowing that my daughter will be much more rounded and better off is much better than her being under educated and full of entitlement later in life.
  • karenjoy
    Options
    OK, thank you so much for taking the time to post that.

I still can't get my head around 'creationism' and people still believing it in this modern world. My children and myself all went to Church schools, but they don't teach or espouse it as a theory what so ever.
  • Sherri0706
    Sherri0706 Posts: 64
    Options
    I am not the person who started this post, but I am going to answer you also. I started homeschooling my oldest daughter after 2 years of private and 2 years of public school because she asked me to. Are we Christian? Yes. Was that my reason? No. She has a learning disability that public school was not addressing properly. She actually excelled with a more one-on-one approach and graduated a year early - a huge credit to her hard work and perseverence! I went on to homeschool my next daughter until just last year when she entered public school in the 10th grade(where she has fit right in and finished her year with all straight A's), and I am still homeschooling my twins, who are in 6th grade. I teach them everything, including evolution and Darwin, other religions, tolerance of all God's people, and sex! I in no way want my children to be sheltered just because I am their main teacher. We are grounded in our faith but we are totally aware of the world around us. I also tell my children that we can never learn too much, so we do above and beyond what our public school district requires. I have had many people compliment my children on how well-rounded and mature they are - especially my daughters new public school teachers!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Our faith has nothing to do with our decision to homeschool. We aren't Christian (my husband is a nontheist, I'm a pantheist). I absolutely teach my children about evolution and the formation of the world, along with the ideas about how the Universe was formed. My girls are both very interested in geology and astronomy, and I enjoy exploring that with them. We attend a UU church, where they learn about different ideas about religion, theology, etc, and we learn about all the different religions and spiritual ideas without saying, "This is the right idea of god; this is the wrong idea of god." Even if my children decide that atheism is their belief, I hope that they will always be able to pull wisdom from spiritual teachings, even if they don't ascribe the source to a Divine Being.

I am lucky to have found a large, active homeschooling group in my area that is inclusive in nature, meaning, among other things, that shared religious views aren't important. There are a large number of humanist, Pagan, atheist, agnostic, UUs and others in the group, as well as Christians. Almost none of the families in this group have chosen homeschooling for religious reasons. It is also not about avoiding "liberalism" in the schools. It's about having a different philosophy about how children learn best, how they develop best, and how to achieve our ultimate goals for our children's future (which is that they are able to identify and achieve their own goals.) For some, it's purely academic; either being able to cater to the needs of a child with learning disabilities, or being able to challenge a child to higher standards than the school would - the ability to individually design the schoolwork to be precisely what a child needs for optimal learning at any given point is a huge selling point for many. For others, it's more about being able to foster that inherent love of learning that children have, to facilitate that - many parents see that in schools, it is often snuffed out, and that people think that's normal and unavoidable, when it is not.

I homeschool because I feel I can provide more opportunities for learning, for exploring, for socializing, and for experiencing the world, than they would be able to have in a classroom. I'm not opposed to classrooms; but I feel that it would hinder my children academically and socially to be in one 180 days a year. Other people obviously have a different experience, and they should do what works for their family -- mileage may vary! :smile:
  • karenjoy
    Options
    thank you for such detailed explanation and insight. Our education system is different here in the UK, we have a national curriculum, so all children in schools all over the entire country are taught the same things, so there should be no difference in the quality of the education they receive, that said, this is not always possible, and there are good and bad schools all over, good and bad teachers and some children thrive in some schools that others dislike.

I have a son with ADHD and ASD and my Daughter is a diagnosed dyslexic, she is now at University and doing very well, my son is also just started to train as a chef and has finished college although we were told at one point that he would not be able to attend mainstream school and he went to a special school until he was almost 5 and then he went to the same school as his sisters, which is a Church of England School. So the education system here has worked well for them as well as my other Daughter.
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    Again I thank ya'll for all your advice and taking the time to reply, I really do appriciate it!!! AND I think we have made our choices because of ya'lls help so seriously thank you!
    To the beautiful lady (karenjoy) that asked my why for homeschooling and what I teach I would give a simlar reply as the many before me. My daughter asked me to take her out of school and honestly I was reluctant at first but my faith did play a very big part in it because everything centers around it. I teach my children both sides of evolution and we discuss other religions openly. A big part of my Faith is love, and I can't love someone if I can't understand who they are what they believe and why they believe the way they do. This is not a superior belief system, instead its more about loving others as I believe were created to do and yes I work all of these concepts in everything we do! My kiddos are a little bit sheltered right now but I am looking to change that my getting envolved in the commuinty and other activities. I would not force my beliefs or way of life on anyone its a personal choice but one that brings a vast amount of joy and meaning to my life. If you have any more questions I would love to hear from you and I thank you for taking the time to actually ask about something you are not familar with instead of making snap judgments, I admire that!!!
    Thanks again guys!
    Misty
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well...we're not Christian, we're Unitarian Universalist. And we're not homeschoolers, we're unschoolers, BUT I thought I'd answer anyway. lol I can't help you with curricula, since we don't use much and what we do use isn't faith based, but my favorite online homeschool groups are on CafeMom. Other areas of CM can be pretty negative sometimes, but the moms on the homeschooling lists I'm part of on there are *SO* helpful and kind. I've been on a lot of homeschooling lists over the years and those are some of my favorites. Nothing beats a good local homeschooling group though. I can't imagine trying to go it alone without the support of my local group.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well...we're not Christian, we're Unitarian Universalist. And we're not homeschoolers, we're unschoolers, BUT I thought I'd answer anyway. lol I can't help you with curricula, since we don't use much and what we do use isn't faith based, but my favorite online homeschool groups are on CafeMom. Other areas of CM can be pretty negative sometimes, but the moms on the homeschooling lists I'm part of on there are *SO* helpful and kind. I've been on a lot of homeschooling lists over the years and those are some of my favorites. Nothing beats a good local homeschooling group though. I can't imagine trying to go it alone without the support of my local group.

We're a UU unschooling family too! :flowerforyou:
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    Another homeschool mom here! I love having other homeschool Christian friends to encourage, so add me as a friend if you'd like.

Check out http://www.classicalconversations.com for a Christian Classical homeschool community in your area. It's made the world of difference in our homeschool journey!

Also, ditto to the other poster suggesting The Well-Trained Mind forums. I've spent entirely too much time on those boards, but there is a wealth of information to be found.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi! I've been homeschooling all 3 of my children straight through. My oldest will be a senior this year, so it's going to be an exciting year for us. I have never used one particular curriculum because all of my children are different. We've used Easy Grammar, Apologia science, Abeka, Bob Jones, Horizons Math, Notgrass for History, Chalkdust for highschool math (Most of the major Christian Companies) There is sooooo much out there it is easy to get overwhelmed. Thankfully we have two companies in town that carry just about everything so I can look at things before I buy them. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me-I think I've tried just about everything out there at one time or another!:flowerforyou:
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    bump