Visiting the US (Denver) - what foods do I have to try??

Options
lolliopopsnrainbows
lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
As the title says, I'll be in Denver for almost a week and one of my favourite things about visiting different countries is trying the food. What foods do I need to try while I'm in the states??

(For some reason this has been added to th motivation and support forum and I can't find how to move it to the appropriate forum. Can anyone help?)

Replies

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Craft beer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Rocky Mountain Oysters...
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Rocky Mountain Oysters...

:lol: I guess if you like them...

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Never been to Denver myself, so I am jealous :smile: Hope you have a good trip!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that Colorado has a huge food culture...it's pretty much meat and potatoes country. Some places will offer up more unique things like deer and other game.

Some freshly caught rainbow trout is good...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a Denver sandwich?
  • Xoxa1029
    Xoxa1029 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heaven Dragon for Chinese Food. Santiago's has pretty good green chili.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Colorado is known for its craft beers and wild game. I would find a restaurant that serves elk or venison, visit a brewery, etc. If you want to try what we call "comfort food" and pick out some souvenirs, try to find a Cracker Barrel. Denver might also be a good place to try Native American food or Mexican food.

Here's something else I found:
    https://www.thrillist.com/eat/denver/denver-s-food-bucket-list-the-50-best-things-to-eat-in-mile-high
  • PatanjaliTwist
    PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    It depends where you're coming from? Are there particular food groups you want to try? Seafood is expensive there are it's in the middle of the country. I lived in Denver for 2-yrs recently & it's not known for any regional or ethnic types of food, such as we have in the northeast, where there are Little Italy's & Chinatowns, as well as many other ethnic 'hoods.

As a tourist, you might enjoy going to the 16th St. Mall in downtown Denver, which is 1-mi long & filled with all kinds of stores & restaurants & has a free electric bus to take you along the route, if you're tired of walking. An indoor parking garage is convenient.

There are many nice places tucked into different neighborhoods, so you can always find somewhere to stop for a coffee or lunch. As it's filled with students, breakfast / brunch places are big on weekends, all fairly good.

Here's a website that might give you some ideas. If you can be more specific with what you're looking for, it will be easier to help you. America's an enormous country... there's no real quintessential American food, imho... are you thinking burgers & fries, looking for breakfast/lunch/dinner places, fast food/sitdown, cheap/upscale, dressy/casual, want martinis with dinner or craft ale? No matter which 'hood you're in, there are good restaurants. Also, Denver is expensive, so be prepared.

https://www.denver.org/things-to-do/denver-attractions/16th-street-mall/

Also, utilize yelp.com for specific types of restaurants. That might help you decide where to go. Denver has every kind of food & the majority of places are decent.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Space cakes.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Green Chili! It pretty much comes on everything, so you probably can't avoid it lol. I actually love it, but we do seriously put it on everything.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Also here is a list of places that were all on Diners/Drive Ins/Dives

Axios Estiatorio - 3901 Tennyson St. (Denver)
    Biju's Little Curry Shop - 1441 26th St. (Denver)
    Cafe Brazil - 4408 Lowell Blvd. (Denver)
    CoraFaye's Cafe - 16251 East Colfax Ave. (Denver)
    Dae Gee Korean BBQ - 827 Colorado Blvd. (Denver)
    Denver Biscuit Company - 3237 E. Colfax Ave. (Denver)
    Foolish Craig's Cafe - 1611 Pearl St. (Boulder)
    Front Range Barbeque - 2330 W. Colorado Ave. (Colorado Springs)
    Highland Tavern - 3400 Navajo St. (Denver)
    Hops and Pie - 3920 Tennyson St. (Denver)
    Lauer-Krauts - 26 South 6th St. (Brighton)
    Maria Empanada - 1298 S. Broadway (Denver)
    Mountain Shadows - 2223 W. Colorado Ave. (Colorado Springs)
    Paravincini’s Italian Bistro - 2802 W. Colorado Ave. (Colorado Springs)
    Piglatin Food Truck - 225 N. Nevada Ave. (Colorado Springs)
    Prohibition - 504 E. Colfax Ave. (Denver)
    Rasta Pasta - 405 N. Tejon St. (Colorado Springs)
    Restaurant 415 - 415 S. Mason St. (Fort Collins)
    Sam's No. 3 - 1500 Curtis St. (Denver)
    Skirted Heifer - 204 N. Tejon St. (Colorado Springs)
    Spice Island Grill - 10 N. Sierra Madre St. (Colorado Springs)
    Steuben's Food Service - 523 E. 17th Ave. (Denver)
    The Bagel Delicatessen Restaurant - 6439 E. Hampden (Denver)
    The Sink - 1165 13th St. (Boulder)
    Tocabe American Indian Eatery - 3536 W. 44th Ave. (Denver)
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually Denver is foodie paradise! There are pockets of amazing neighborhood restaurants. Check out The Highlands neighborhood and the LoHi area. Pearl street in South Denver (Sushi Den) and Stapleton have some amazing cuisine. Just went to Avanti the other night and it was amazing! For Mexican I recommend 7 Leguas on Colfax. We also have amazing Vietnamese food on Federal Blvd. cross street is Alameda).
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    After ready these comments, I am definitely heading to Denver on my next vacation! :smiley: Michelle