Where to start in the gym

Options
ldowdesw
ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
Like another lady on here recently, I have just rejoined a small gym and am clueless. I can walk, row and cycle, but what should I start with on the machines?

Replies

• stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Google a beginner "circuit" training routine. They will give you step by step instructions for a good healthy total-body routine.
  • JMW829
    JMW829 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My opinion, if you're trying to build muscle. 3 times a week, high rep low weight, coupled with 20-30 minutes cardio.

For example its back day.

Seated Back row 20 lbs for 12-15 reps 5 sets
    Lat pulldown 20-40 lbs 12-15 reps 5 sets
    Dumbell rows 15-25 lbs 12-15 reps
    So on and so forth
    Then end with 20-30 minute cardio

search good form for EVERY EXERCISE YOU DO, so you don't go in there looking like a chump.

Also if you see a person who looks knowledgeable, just ask them. 100% of the time they're flattered and will help you make some gainz.

JUST DO A SPILT LIKE THIS AND CUSTOMIZE IT
    Monday chest triceps
    tuesday back biceps
    Wednesday shoulders
    Thurs rest
    friday rest
    Saturday legs
    sunday chest and triceps

• JMW829
    Options
    Also if you can find a knowledgeable workout partner to workout with you for a couple of months you can get ahead of the trial and error phase.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lol bro split. Try learning compound exercises that target major muscle groups they are more metabolically taxing.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    When I was clueless I started with StrongLifts 5x5. Simple effective exercises that were easy to learn and not as intimidating as other programs that have so many different variations of exercises and schedules (NROLFW was awful lol). Keep it simple, build on that.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    When I was clueless I started with StrongLifts 5x5. Simple effective exercises that were easy to learn and not as intimidating as other programs that have so many different variations of exercises and schedules (NROLFW was awful lol). Keep it simple, build on that.

I agree. 3 days, 5 lifts to learn. Even an app to simplify things. A great beginners program.
  • ldowdesw
    Options
    Thank you guys and gals. I guess we all have to start somewhere. ;)
  • JMW829
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5..right now. For a new lifter I wouldnt recommend doing 5x5 cause 1.) Improper form 2.) Too much weight not enough muscle mind connection. High reps and low weight give you room for error. You forget to slightly bend your knees on a 5x5 100lbs military press its in God's hands..you forget with a 30 pound barbell..ehh not so bad lol. High reps for building muscle..low reps for strength.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    No woman starting 5x5 without previous strength training is going to get anywhere near 100 lbs for an overhead press for a while. Chances are that she'll start with 20 lbs or less depending on her natural strength.

5x5 programs are simple and when followed as a progressive routine, are taxing. Plus, working out 3x a week is plenty enough for any beginner.

OP, I'd start with a 5x5 program. Start with a weight that is manageable, but not "easy". When you're done the 5x5 for the session, follow up with some cardio. I feel like you're not likely looking to build a bunch of strength, so do the compound lifts to your ability and do some cardio. You'll preserve your muscle mass as you lose weight, and cardio will help you with your deficit.
  • ldowdesw
    Options
    Thank you. I feel a bit useless I guess, as I have the gym sat there for the taking and used 2 or 3 cardio machines the last time I had membership. I'm not after muscles, just weight loss. I don't like feeling like a newbie at stuff, I'd just love to have myself a small routine which I can do 3 times a week. It doesn't help that I'm dreading it, but I've been today and bought myself some new clothes to wear so I feel bad before I even start. Roll on Monday morning ;).. I'll be checking out the pool tomorrow, hope nobody calls greenpeace
  • EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for tips too but I just want to say good luck. Starting is the worst bit, after a couple of weeks you'll be so glad you did.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    Thank you. I feel a bit useless I guess, as I have the gym sat there for the taking and used 2 or 3 cardio machines the last time I had membership. I'm not after muscles, just weight loss. I don't like feeling like a newbie at stuff, I'd just love to have myself a small routine which I can do 3 times a week. It doesn't help that I'm dreading it, but I've been today and bought myself some new clothes to wear so I feel bad before I even start. Roll on Monday morning ;).. I'll be checking out the pool tomorrow, hope nobody calls greenpeace

If it's weight loss your after, then do as I recommended earlier. Get a good beginner circuit training workout. You'll be amazed at the ease of the instructions, and in no time you'll be rocking through your time at the gym and seeing results. That's what brings the motivation-RESULTS! Good luck!