Weight loss: What has been your most SUCCESSFUL strategy?

Options
What have you done to lose the most weight? What works?

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I agree with managing it. Then as your hunger leaves over time, you can switch to avoiding the snack as well if desired.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    For me, it has been all about learning to spend my calories wisely, learning to eat the largest portions of food that best keep me full for the fewest calories. If you can figure out how to fix meals that keep you full and satisfied within your calorie budget, this process will go very well and be very sustainable. If you feel deprived, miserable, and hungry it is probably not going to go well.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Paying attention to what and how much I eat. Nothing is off limits, but I have to acknowledge the calorie count so that I can make it fit.

Increasing my activity level by walking more. Walking doesn't tend to increase my appetite unless it's hard core hill climbing. My body seems to generally want to eat a particular amount regardless of what I do, so the easiest way for me to create a deficit is to burn more than that amount. Technically, I could just eat less - but my hormones are not very co-operative with that approach. I am fully aware that this means I'll have to remain reasonably active to maintain my weight loss.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ditto above. For me, carbs but mostly portion control.

What worked for me... lost 36 pounds and have kept it off for 5 months and counting, is simply committing to the concept. Acknowledging I wasn't eating right and that change was a rest of life commitment. This isn't a short term lose. This is a long term journey
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been real with myself. I'm not giving up stuff I like. Cut back, yes. Cut out, no. I started pre-logging and including foods I used to demonize, eat anyway, feel guilty over, and eat more of. Once I admitted that I WAS going to have a frosted shortbread, I could make sure it fit my daily calories and not go over. (Sometimes, it meant cookie instead of other snack. Sometimes it meant cookie and make sure I take a walk to increase my daily calories.) Basically, recognizing that "a treat doesn't have to be a cheat."
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I focus on exercise not food. When I'm into the habit of going to the gym I find I naturally start to eat better. But if I focus on food and logging calories every day then I start to feel deprived. I don't diet as such though I am doing 5:2 fasting - this is more for the benefit of fasting and not wanting to end up type 2 diabetic like my sister.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Persistence, logging my food, and don't drink my calories. I also cut sugar way down, but I'm pre diabetic and find too much sugar makes me lethargic and it increases my appetite. I.e. It won't work for everyone.