Sleep Apnea

Options
Recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. Don't consider myself obese but I can lose a few lbs. Doctors told me I was 10yrs from congestive heart failure and 15yrs from death if I did not wear the mask. Maybe someday down the road I will be off the mask but for now no issues with it, actually sleeping better and feeling better.

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That's a nice picture there. (:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My mother had sleep apnea as well, the CPAP will do wonders! You are finally experiencing a full night's sleep! Getting your sleep will definitely help with your health and weight loss goals.

Sounds like the doctor really lit a fire under you.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I used to sleep with "my elephant mask" I loved how well I slept, and how much more energized I was. Also loved how when I was congested a simple drop of vics liquid in the humidifier part could take care of any sinus problems. Sadly lost mine to a fire, and insurance wouldn't replace it so I'm without mine, and sleep so restlessly.

Wear it proudly, sleep well, and enjoy a nice long life! :glasses:
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    same story here. Been wearing the mask for several years now. Was told yesterday at the doctor that I need to lose the weight or there is a freight train headed my way. Glad I started on here earlier this month, wish I had started years ago.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My dad had it. He had the surgery and from what I hear, is sleeping much better. I actually don't know if his sleep has ever been evaluated since then. I hope so.

My boyfriend has it. He probably has it worse than my dad did. He falls asleep everywhere - at his parents house while we're sitting around watching tv, driving, and once or twice he's fallen asleep while people are talking to him. I remember once we went out of town with his brother. We left at 9 am the next morning after a full night's sleep. Brandon was sound asleep before we even made it to the main road and slept the whole 3-4 hour drive home.

This post actually scares me due to what they told you about heart failure, etc. He can't afford the mask. They said it would be $1000 down payment with payments after that. He has insurance, but I guess insurance wouldn't cover most of it. So, now he thinks he can fix his own sleep apnea by taking long walks in the evening and sleeping in a different position. I can't seem to convince him of anything else. He's pretty stubborn when it comes to his opinion. As it was, it took a month of his Mom & me constantly lecturing him to get him to go to the doc in the first place. I wish he would get it fixed.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My dad had it. He had the surgery and from what I hear, is sleeping much better. I actually don't know if his sleep has ever been evaluated since then. I hope so.

My boyfriend has it. He probably has it worse than my dad did. He falls asleep everywhere - at his parents house while we're sitting around watching tv, driving, and once or twice he's fallen asleep while people are talking to him. I remember once we went out of town with his brother. We left at 9 am the next morning after a full night's sleep. Brandon was sound asleep before we even made it to the main road and slept the whole 3-4 hour drive home.

This post actually scares me due to what they told you about heart failure, etc. He can't afford the mask. They said it would be $1000 down payment with payments after that. He has insurance, but I guess insurance wouldn't cover most of it. So, now he thinks he can fix his own sleep apnea by taking long walks in the evening and sleeping in a different position. I can't seem to convince him of anything else. He's pretty stubborn when it comes to his opinion. As it was, it took a month of his Mom & me constantly lecturing him to get him to go to the doc in the first place. I wish he would get it fixed.

I've heard that sleeping on the side helps with sleep apnea because it keeps the tongue from falling back into the throat and blocking breathing. However, I know that doesn't help with all cases. I really hope he can get the help he needs, losing out on valuable sleep is indeed very harmful.
  • jcraiglow
    jcraiglow Posts: 2
    Options
    There are other options besides the mask. A good friend of mine has a mouth piece that brings his jaw forward to open his airway. It is adjustable. I am only 40 (only, haha), and my father passed away at 59 due to this condition. The only way they found it was I had surgery on my shoulder and, during post-op, my oxygen level was dropping down to 30%. It is not suppose to be below 95%. I was coding!! I too was pullling over to sleep numerous times during the day. I'll try to put it as bluntly as possible, he is a ticking time bomb. I understand the solution is pricey, but what price does one put on your life?
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just called him. All I got was one-word responses. Finally I said, "don't you care?!" He said, "I care" and then went back to one-word responses. I finally said I was going to start pestering him about it again. He said okay to that.

He is only 25. He is overweight, and probably in the obese category via BMI, but he is nowhere near as large as his dad & brother. They, however, don't seem to have sleep apnea or any other major health concerns that i know of.

I will keep working on him and I'll let him know about the other options. I would pay for the mask if we were married.
  • gnan87
    gnan87 Posts: 10
    Options
    well hi...i myself have sleep apnea too....and what makes it more funny is that am a doctor...am obese,fat and everything...and pap really helps....apart from that get your tonsils and uvula checked...sometimes tonsils may cause sleep apnea too
  • greybeh
    greybeh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the sleep apnea diagnosis, but I've used my machine every night for the month and a half since I got it. I owe a lot of $ for it because I have a high deductible, but if they tried to take it away from me there might be a police incident. LOL!

I feel a lot better and am starting to exercise regularly. I can carry on conversations and I can actually "get" jokes and sarcasm whereas before I would be really embarrassed and confused. LOL! I have energy to do things that I WANT to do instead of barely managing to do the things that I NEEDED to do.

My dad has a machine and won't wear his. He's had trouble adjusting to it and says he has the wrong mask. I haven't lost weight but I think the shape of my face is changing because my mask doesn't fit me as securely right now as it did when I first got it.
  • cree_d
    Options
    Kimi-
    Depending on the type of machine needed, he may be able to get one for a lot less on the internet. I believe mine is around $800 online, but much more if you go through a home health company. Both of my parents went through home health companies and paid way too much!