Is this circuit training?

Options
mk820
mk820 Posts: 137 Member
I started at a gym and I do all the different machines and do the stationary bike...no lifting weights though. Is this what is refered as circuit training?
thanks

Replies

• volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What machines are you doing? Most machines in my gym are weights. I do lift weights and move from machine to machine. I log this as circuit training - general in my exercise log.
  • mk820
    Options
    I don't know the names of any of them. They have weights you change and exercise different parts of your body, like arms, back of legs, outer thighs etc
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do believe that would be referred to as circuit training.
  • volfan22
    Options
    I don't know the names of any of them. They have weights you change and exercise different parts of your body, like arms, back of legs, outer thighs etc

Yes, I would say this is circuit training - unless you choose to log in the weights individually as strength training in your diary. Since you don't see the calories burned logging as strength (and you do burn calories) I enter this as "circuit training - general" for however long I am on the machines. I caution you to not take the calories burned as accurate - because unless you are doing a lot of reps and moving between each machine without rest you probably are not burning the calories that MFP will calculate for your time. Wear a heart rate monitor if you want accuracy when lifting.

This is just what I do and I'm no expert - others may have another opinion - do what works for you!

Be blessed!
  • mk820
    Options
    Thanks. I decided I'd track the bike 20 min at 20 mph then 40 minutes of curves circuit minus 100 cal. I'm not fast yet and it takes me time to figure out how to use the machines. General circuit seems like way more cals burned than it feels like I'm burning.
  • volfan22
    Options
    Thanks. I decided I'd track the bike 20 min at 20 mph then 40 minutes of curves circuit minus 100 cal. I'm not fast yet and it takes me time to figure out how to use the machines. General circuit seems like way more cals burned than it feels like I'm burning.

You're moving - that's what matters!! Keep it up, it gets easier and you will get comfortable with what you're doing. Good Luck!!