Losing weight with PCOS

Options
Lets share our experience, successes, difficulties, recepies and overall journey of losing weight with PCOS/PCOD

Replies

• chena_212007
    chena_212007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    I am Chena
    I have PCOS and trying to loose weight for past one month.
    A month ago i weighed 155 pounds and my goal is to weigh 120 pounds.
    Till now i have lost 11 pounds. Still 24 pounds to go.
  • bevrli80
    bevrli80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Beverly, 36, 5'6" starting weight 214. My doctor put me on a Keto diet plan (low carb, high fat). I have diabetes, high blood pressure, PCOS, insulin resistance, and take 8 pills a day to manage them all. I hate dieting. But I don't want to die, so here I am. I have been trying to stay under 70 carbs a day and it sucks. I miss so many foods. But I have gotten over my 25 year soda addiction (hooray!!!!). I have stuck to the diet and have my first check up next week. I weighed myself on my Wii Fit board and it says I lost 6 lbs. I feel like such a failure!! But I am hoping the board is wrong and I lost more than that. I look thinner, my skin is looser and saggy. But I definitely do not "love keto" like the die-hards. I just want to lose weight so my liver and heart enzymes go back down to normal and I can stop taking so many pills. Hoping to find someone who can relate.
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @bevrli80 Great job, but you need to lower your carbs for better results. I started Keto on 6/2/2017, and as of 6/7/2017, I have lost 12.4 lbs. I weigh myself again tomorrow. You should be keeping your net carbs, which are your total carbs minus your total fiber and total sugar alcohols (sugar alcohols, not sugars), consumption to between 15 - 30 net carbs per day. Make sure you drink lots of water, eat a good amount of salt, have no sugar, no bread, no pasta, and definitely no fruit. There are many websites and YouTube videos that can give you recipes, as well as some good tips. Good luck! :smile: Michelle
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    @chena_212007 Keto just may be the answer for you too. Look into it, and best of luck! :smile: Michelle
  • chena_212007
    chena_212007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @mrssie1223
    Hey thanks for the advice. Will surely read up on keto and try my luck with it.
  • mrssie1223
    Options
    @chena_212007 YouTube has some great channels: Keto Connect, Headbanger's Kitchen, Butter Bob Briggs, Goody Beats, and many more. They offer tips, recipes, and important information. Also, check out the Wicked Stuffed website. Lots of Keto friendly recipes. :wink: Let me know if you try it. Good luck! :smile: Michelle
    PS: 14 lbs lost in 8 days so far! :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mrssie1223 wrote: »
    @bevrli80 Great job, but you need to lower your carbs for better results. I started Keto on 6/2/2017, and as of 6/7/2017, I have lost 12.4 lbs. I weigh myself again tomorrow. You should be keeping your net carbs, which are your total carbs minus your total fiber and total sugar alcohols (sugar alcohols, not sugars), consumption to between 15 - 30 net carbs per day. Make sure you drink lots of water, eat a good amount of salt, have no sugar, no bread, no pasta, and definitely no fruit. There are many websites and YouTube videos that can give you recipes, as well as some good tips. Good luck! :smile: Michelle

Such a low carb total is not necessary for all women with PCOS. I lost over 25% of my body weight while violating all of your rules. Many other women will attest to the same experience.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I work with 150-200g carbs per day, a moderate calorie deficit, and exercise 6 days a week.

60 lbs down, 20 to go. Just got blood work done: no glucose, cholesterol, or BP issues now. Used to have borderline cholesterol and BP. No previous glucose results to compare to. I'm 46.
  • alow8806
    alow8806 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and Graves Disease. I lost over 50 pounds in 2009, gained 60 back and for the last 7 years I lose-gain lose-gain fluctuating anywhere from 5-25 lbs. MFP looks like a big roller coaster. We are trying to have a baby and I was put on clomid. My first round failed so I decided to start watching what I eat and walking. I've lost 19 lbs so far all together but it is so hard for me to stick with it past the 3 month mark. I have been doing great the past week, and I have a walking buddy now but it is still hard to keep my motivation esp. with the first round of clomid failing. I like to stress eat on sweets, so I'm watching my carbs close, and I have been staying around 75 carbs a day.