Healthy Snack Foods At Work!

Options
I wanted some suggestions on some healthy snacks I can bring with me to work. I work a boring desk job, and always find myself having a bad case of the munchies once midday comes around. I do bring fruits & veggies or wheat thins with me on occasion, but was looking for something different to take with me instead of the same ol' same ol'. Thanks guys!

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Nuts, string cheese, bring a frozen yogurt and it will thaw out by the time you want to eat it, one-hundred calorie packs, lean cuisines.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi nearby - check it out! They have a line called Fit & Active and they have all sorts of yummy snacks that aren't bad for you.

Also, popcorn is a good snack that's filling and not bad for you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    no fridge?

tuna cans or almonds are my go to if I didn't have a fridge.

Or I put a few teaspoons of oats into my coffee/mocha. That is very filling also.

or cottage cheese if you have a fridge.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    popcorn (if your work has a microwave) the 100 cal smart pop bags are awesome like half the size of a full bag its alot of popcorn
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    protein/granola bars
    laughing cow wedge with crackers
    apples and peanut butter
    string cheese and a piece of fruit
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    Small bits of roast pumpkin with hummus on corn or rice thins is really tasty or a small pottle of low fat yoghurt and a tablespoon of muesli/granola is good too. Cottage cheese with chopped fruit and/ or veges is really good too..especially if your really hungry :)
  • Victoriaaah
    Options
    Air popped popcorn --- 5 cups is 100 calories. :) You can spunk it up by adding some seasoning to it. Of course that might be a few extra calories though.
  • prestofitness
    Options
    Here's some of the choices I snack on, hope it helps...

Pistachios
    Almonds
    Planters Nut-rition Mixes
    Oroweat 80 calorie breads w/ turkey
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Almond Butter
    Can of tuna w/ salsa
    Mini Carrots (low in calories per serving, high fiber)
    Edamame
    Lentils
    Fruits (not too late at night though because of the sugars) w/ cottage cheese
    Protein bars
    Granola Bars
    Protein shakes
    Fiber One 80 calorie Honey Squares cereal w/ low-fat, fat free, or soy milk
    Yogurt (try to stay away from brands that contain high fructose corn syrup) w/ granola
    Greek Yogurt
    Eating Right 10 calorie jello cups
    Eating Right 60 calorie chocolate & vanilla puddings
    Oatmeal w/ cinnamon
    Beef Jerky
    Organic pita chips
    Pop Chips
    Pirates Booty (FAVORITE!)
    Chiquita Fruit Chips
    Veggie Chips
    Blue Sky All Natural Sodas
    Hard boiled eggs (1 yolk every 3 eggs)
    Weight Watchers Snacks (chocolate chips cookies, muffins, lemon creme cake, etc)
  • sillygirljess
    Options
    The oats in the coffee is a great idea!!! I'm going to try that one!

I usually pop a bag of low fat popcorn and share it with two of my coworkers. However, if you're watching your sodium it's not super great...

I do home visiting for a living, so sometimes I drive past a 7-11 and they have the Crystal Light slurpees. Those are fun for a mid-day treat. Is there a convenience store nearby? Can you take a 15 min break to stretch your legs and walk down to the store? Grab a bottle of water and throw a water flavor in it?

I love to dip celery in salsa instead of tortilla chips. Have you had the Fiber One brownies, they're 90 calories and soooo good.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some DELICIOUS chip type things called Reduced Fat Skinny Fries.You can have 65 of tem for only 100 calories! YUM!
    I also like to snack on celery and reduced fat PB, yummy and really fille me up.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What's Pirate Booty? I need to know! haha
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely try some of these!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I got a small "dorm fridge" and put it in my cubicle. Here is what my work "pantry" and fridge typically look like when they're all stocked:

Fridge:
    - romaine lettuce
    - frozen veggies
    - loaf of sliced whole grain bread
    - a few packs of natural sliced turkey breast (one in fridge and backups in the freezer)
    - reduced fat mayo (on occasion)
    - peanut butter
    - mustard

Shelf:
    - cans of tuna
    - big tub of whey
    - big tub of oats
    - bag of sugar (shh, don't tell)
    - box myoplex packets
    - backup peanut butter
    - backup mustard

The fridge is also useful if I bring something in for lunch like chili.

We spend so many hours of our lives at work. I think it's important to do whatever we need to do (like get a small fridge) to maintain our healthy lifestyles with ease.
  • fatgavin
    fatgavin Posts: 5
    Options
    You can buy a instant soup with coucus in 3% fat, flake a tin of tuna in and its a great low fat low carb high protein snack, it also takes less than 5 mins to make
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good topic.
  • littlemissshowoff
    Options
    I bring cereal bars, yoghurt, and dried fruit with me. Fruit's the most common as it helps bring up my 5 a day.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    my favorite..that still follows "office etiquette" is 3 oz of baby carrots and 1/2 less fat cream cheese..the garden veggie kind..or a piece of fruit...