Pumpkin! IS IT TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

Apparently a cup of pumpkin is a mere 49 calories, and steamed pumpkins taste like FRKING SWEET AF MASHED POTATO??! Not to mention the fiber content and making you feel full for long periods of time. It's a miracle food, granted to us from the heavens above...

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If you like pumpkin, try butternut squash.

This is my latest fave:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/05/red-lentil-and-squash-curry-stew/
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Yes pumpkin and squash are awesome... Thank you GOD for all this wonderful food that's nutritious for us :)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I can't wait until I can kind Kabocha back in season!! Y U M M Y I love roasted Kabocha with eggs
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Apparently a cup of pumpkin is a mere 49 calories, and steamed pumpkins taste like FRKING SWEET AF MASHED POTATO??! Not to mention the fiber content and making you feel full for long periods of time. It's a miracle food, granted to us from the heavens above...

Yummy mixed into oatmeal.....with cinnamon.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Try it with a nutty wholegrain bread french toast, with pumpkun pie spices....
    Actually almost everything with pumpkin or sweet potato tastes amazing with pumkin pie spices.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Omg. I've never really been a pumpkin person. I'm always the one that picks apple pie over pumpkin pie at the holidays, but I do like pumpkin, so I'm thinking that I might try pumpkin as a new side dish this week. Great timing, I was just sitting here thinking about what to try for this week's meal prep!
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yummy mixed into oatmeal.....with cinnamon.

mmm can only imagine it's pure bliss, trying it! :)
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Gourds, gourds, they're good for your gut
    The more you eat 'em, the more you...
    I got nothing

All I can think of is butt but that doesn't make any sense

Nutt
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    I got nothing

...strut.
  • MsHarryWinston
    Ok all the store had was canned pumpkin so I grabbed butternut squash instead because they are cousins. Lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    All winter squash is great. Acorn is probably my favorite, and spaghetti squash is fun. I always enjoy getting a ton of it in my CSA box in the fall.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    edited June 2017
    I don't do much with pumpkin at this time of year; it's more of a fall crop. But in season, it's great in a black bean soup. Get the smaller ones; they've got more flavor and better texture.

Summer squash ain't bad either. Just used some in a "citrus sunshine cake" (It's basically like a zucchini cake that has orange and lemon accents, along with cinnamon, all-spice, and vanilla).
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Haha I thought it was just me that was amazed by this. I've switched out potatoes for pumpkin and carrots. So filling. So good. So... you get the picture.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    I've made a mac and cheese using butternut squash, and still cheese obvi, but it was super good and creamy and had more nutrition then the traditional.

I don't care for pumpkin, but I do like it in oatmeal in the fall sometimes.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Of all the gourds mentioned, I think that pumpkin actually has the least amount of taste. I feel you have to add a lot to it to bring out some flavor. Butternut squash is my favorite among them.
  • MsHarryWinston
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    All winter squash is great. Acorn is probably my favorite, and spaghetti squash is fun. I always enjoy getting a ton of it in my CSA box in the fall.

Ok so I keep side-eyeing CSA boxes because they seem so cool. Delivered boxes of farm fresh veg. It just seems so... wholesome. But then I have to try to be real with myself, so much of it would go bad because I get so lazy about cooking veggies. I'm really getting into frozen veggies (I used to ALWAYS buy fresh). That way I can meal prep what I need for the week and then not have to worry about the rest going bad if I want to try a new type of veggies the week after.

This morning I meal prepped the squash. Took the squash then added orange juice, orange marmalade, a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and olive oil. Roasted it for about an hour until all the liquid in the pan was gone.

O.M.G. Every time I opened the oven to mix it up it smelled like pie. Which obviously ok yeah, based on the ingredients shouldn't have been a surprise. But it was just a lovely experience at 5am. The house was mostly dark, the sun was barely coming up because it's a cloudy day today and everything smelled like the holidays. Yum!

A double serving of squash, 170g came in around 130cals with this recipe. Going to be having it this week along side pork loin and apple sauce.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I got nothing

All I can think of is butt but that doesn't make any sense

I think it is supposed to be fart - ( we can say that word on here surely)

Yes I know doesnt really rhyme but poetic licence.

Although other f word sort of rhymes too but gourds wouldnt make you do that??? Surely not!! :o
    (unless they have aphrodisiac qualities I dont know about ;)