Healthy living without the diet pressure?

Options
Hey everyone,
i'm newish here & i want to get my life to a much healthier point than what it has been for the last decade.
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for changing around your lifestyle to lose weight aswell as getting healthy but without the strict diet pressure. I feel like i wil crumble and fail if it gets too restricting...I Do Not Want To Fail! lol :-)

Replies

• welcominganewself
    Options
    One of the things I love best about this site is that it is not a diet plan. It helps you count your calories (no matter where they come from) and gives support from a wonderful group of people that are on the same journey you are. I think the social aspect of it may be the most helpful because when you see other peopled successes you get motivated and when you see their struggles you know you are not alone. Good luck on your journey!
  • rachie50380
    Options
    I know that in my past i have failed when i start off too strict on myself and begin to exercize excessively. So i have vowed to eat what i enjoy in moderation and exercize only 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I have made healthier eating decisions, as small as choosing a grilled chicken sandwich over a juicy cheeseburger.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Try the hand/fist method. No calorie counting required:

Eat 5-6 times a day

Each time you eat, make it a serving of lean protein + a serving of complex carbs + as much veggies as you like

Use the size of your hand or fist to gauge serving size. For example, you can have a piece of chicken breast as big as your hand and a sweet potato the size of your fist

See the link in my signature for a list of example foods.

This is what all I did when I first started losing weight. I only came to MFP when I was in the "home stretch".
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tke one step at a time, concentrate on just one change say a month or a fortnight, if you currently don't exercise then start and concentrate on that, if you drink soda all day cut it out,/down, if you have daily large amounts of baked goods then cut that down to just one thing, increase your fruit and veg - lots of things can make small differences, its just about starting and catching the bug, exercise helps because it gives even on a restricted calorie diet more calories to eat so you don't feel deprived and of course the exercise makes you healthier and reduces inches creating muscle which in turn helps burn more calories :-)
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    After miserably failing at almost every diet known to mankind, I promised myself when I started this journey that I would eat what I wanted, when I wanted, only this time I'd do it in moderation. So far...so good.

I am using the MFP recommended calorie target and try to hit it as close as possible every day - some days that means a cheeseburger or ice cream or going out to dinner - but most days it means eating as clean and healthy as possible. Some days I'm so far over the target that I stop counting, but most days I'm spot on...that's what brings success. Meet your goal the majority of the time.

I think you've got the right mindset...deprivation does not equal success. Good luck to you!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I was answering with my wonderful words of wisdom but first I read the other replies and they are are all so perfect and inspiring, its good to have your own thoughts validated and sometimes gives you the reenforcement you need. Does that make sense. Anyway, I agree with all the above, step by step, small changes, so they become a habit that will stay with you a lifetime. I was encouraged to do Low Gi, but I most like Low Hi. (human interference). Clean fresh wholesome foods. Yet still I go for crap somedays. Breaking 51yrs of habits here.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Eating mindfully - paying attention to the nutrition you're giving your body can be a real wake-up call. I was shocked at how many calories I was actually eating - my portions were too big and my food choices, while not bad, left much room for improvement. It's almost like a game with me now, to find the right foods to bring the day in with the right mix of nutrients and still satisfy my foodie side.

Remember that if you "blow" it one day, the next day is a clean slate.
  • Melinda77w
    Melinda77w Posts: 96
    Options
    Yep, everything sounds like commensense to me, lol, sounds exactly like the way i used to eat.....I guess i should tell you of my eating habits. You see, i'm what i would call an unhealthy eater. I never have food for breakfast, i have a ciggarette ( yes i know, tsk tsk).....I only really eat 1 meal a day & that's dinner........I used to drink water alot but over the years i've traded it for the fizzy sorts.
    I have trouble knowing how to eat frequently. I do eat junky food, although, not really alot of it. I think my problem is that i dont eat enough.
    My plans atm are to trade all the whites for browns...I've bought cane sugar instead of white sugar. I think along the lines of the palm of your hands size for portions of meat when eating it. I've traded the soft drinks for mineral waters, is that a good move? Or should they be cut too?
    For excercise, i'm looking at 3 or 4, 30 minute exercises a week. Is Wii games like myshape a form of good exercise aswell?
    sorry for all the questions, i just want to get the right head frame to do it all :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    i'm newish here & i want to get my life to a much healthier point than what it has been for the last decade.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for changing around your lifestyle to lose weight aswell as getting healthy but without the strict diet pressure. I feel like i wil crumble and fail if it gets too restricting...I Do Not Want To Fail! lol :-)
    Just because people eat "cleaner" foods or become vegetarians (an assumed sign of healthier living) doesn't mean that they will be healthier. Genetics plays a big role and there are many people out there (like myself) who don't diet, eat junk, eat processed foods, eat high sodium, etc. and are still healthy.
    I'm a trainer and don't advocate dieting. It's a short term fix. Sure people can lose weight, but once they eat some of their cherished foods again, the weight piles back on. I've had great success with clients who eat what they want (as long as their doctor doesn't advise against it) but stay within a calorie limit and lose weight. They aren't grumpy, don't complain about eating, and their maintenance is easy since they've learned how to moderate the foods they already like to eat and are accustomed to.
    The biggest key is activity. More preferably through direct exercise (strength and cardio). Counter consumed calories with burned calories. Really not that big a deal.