weight loss

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories a day for the past 10 days and walking aprox. 4 miles day also. I havent loss any weight at all...maybe 300 grams......staying away from sugar and fatty foods.

Replies

• spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can take some time to show up. You also may need to eat more. What are you eating? Are you feeling satiated eating 1200 a day?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's only been ten days, and I'm assuming you've increased exercise with the walking. Have some patience, and if you get to three weeks without then you'll want to take a look at your logging to see what you can change.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    300 grams in 10 days is almost the right amount to expect. Most people lose around 400gr per week. I lose 200gr per week and I've lost 13kg so far.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Also no need to stay away from sugar and fatty foods if they fit your calories. Fat is a very important nutrient.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. 10 days isn't long enough. A person can naturally fluctuate 5lbs or more a day/week; 2. if you just start exercising, your body might be holding onto some water to help repair the muscles.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may not be enough for you! If your not eating enough you body starts to save everything as it thinks you are starving it. So make sure you look at the big picture of your starting weight, your activity level and figure out how may calories you should be shooting for. I was eating at 1200 calories a day did that for over a month, and I gained .. now I upped it to 1800 calories with limited activity and I am losing about 2 lbs a week! It's a learning game, and 10 days isn't really enough time to tell much .. Good luck with your journey! It's a crazy one :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks to start losing. Each person is different. Just keep logging everything and exercising. Patience and consistency are key.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Talk to me in a month if you haven't lost weight .. I am over 300lbs and didn't see anything come off until this week's weigh-in (after 30 days).
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may not be enough for you! If your not eating enough you body starts to save everything as it thinks you are starving it. So make sure you look at the big picture of your starting weight, your activity level and figure out how may calories you should be shooting for. I was eating at 1200 calories a day did that for over a month, and I gained .. now I upped it to 1800 calories with limited activity and I am losing about 2 lbs a week! It's a learning game, and 10 days isn't really enough time to tell much .. Good luck with your journey! It's a crazy one :)

no your body does not hold onto weight if you are in a calorie deficiti...have you not seen people who are truly starving???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

no your body does not hold onto weight if you are in a calorie deficiti...have you not seen people who are truly starving???

While I agree that aggressively cutting calories doesn't cause starvation mode, there are a plethora of people who have seen significant improvements in fat loss when increase calories to a more moderate level, especially while active. This is mainly from the increase expenditure has allowed for greater compliance and increases to NEAT and TEA.
  • Bunnyjets
    Bunnyjets Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i went for 1.5 months before i went on my 80 lb loss streak. i almost gave up. just wait it out
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything. Sometimes we think we are eating the proper portions, but without weighing or measuring, it's really a guesstimate.