Anyone else quit drinking for weight loss & health?

Day 2 of My Fitness Pal and day 6 of sobriety. First time in my life I've ever broke 200 lbs and my body ain't having it! Chose also to quit drinking since the extra calories and dehydration isn't worth it any more!! Looking for some pals on here going through the same journey.

Replies

• lauraraicu161
    lauraraicu161 Posts: 2 Member
    I've given up liquor and beer, but I still have red wine from time to time. Good luck!! I think cutting alcohol out is a great choice!
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    i only drink on weekends (we are only human after all) and its really worked well for me. feel free to add me if you like.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Do you ladies find that it's hard to be in your social circle after you make the decision to stop drinking? Unfortunately drinking is the social thing that "my crew" does for fun! Do I need to make new friends that have healthier habits? Or, is up to me to stand my ground with my friends? I mean, I know they will accept my choice, but I also know it's hard for people to get drunk around sober people because they feel foolish (they usually are foolish). Ugh.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Me. I gained all my extra weight from binge drinking, not from overeating like most people on here. I also have a seriously hard time losing weight once it's on, so I've had to cut out booze for the most part. I don't have an intention of being "sober" sober, I still drink, but I've gone from 3-5 nights per week to maybe once a month.

I do have less of a social life now that I won't live at the bar with certain friends of mine. I don't really date anymore either. I can't be around people who are getting drunk and not feel like I'm completely missing out if I don't join them... it's like being on a starvation diet and watching somebody eat cake across the table. Just no fun. So I'd rather stay home.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have cut alcohol out entirely. Brushing aside the empty calories of the alcohol itself, there was also the dumb decision making that took place while I was under the influence (both food and otherwise).

Though I freely admit that this has had a detrimental impact on my social life. That is what we single guys in our 20s do on the weekends as a general rule. Granted I could tag along and just not drink, but babysitting my wasted friends at some bar until 3 AM is not exactly my idea of a good time either. I have just taken up other, mostly fitness related, hobbies to fill the time on the weekends.

I can't say I will never tie one on again, but for the time being I have other priorities.
  • Chrismason944
    Chrismason944 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Im trying to quit smoking. But yeah the struggle is real no matter what it is.
  • YarnGoddess47
    YarnGoddess47 Posts: 11 Member
    Reqium, I'm with you 110%! I stopped drinking in February 1st. The struggle is real. I've dropped 47 lbs in 4 months doing nothing but staying sober. I'll send you an invite. Welcome back to the world of the living, sweetie
  • befitsunshine
    befitsunshine Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, thanks for bringing up this topic!

I could use some support with it, as well. I haven't stopped drinking yet, but I'm determined to do it. I currently drink at least two glasses of wine just about every night... occasionally I have bourbon or tequila, in addition to the wine. I know the alcohol calories, on top of my not-so-great food choices, have really packed on the pounds.

It seems a bit overwhelming to cut out alcohol and make better food choices at the same time. My body is pretty tired of all this abuse, but my brain still wants what it wants. I may have to take it in stages.
  • kathyweiss59
    kathyweiss59 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone. I am new and was very intrigued when I saw this topic. Your comments are very inspiring to me. Thanks. Aside from the 40 extra pounds I have gained, my liver is saying enough! I start 28 day boot camp tomorrow with a healthy meal plan and hi impact workouts 4x week. Feeling very excited about the change I sense is around the corner. Biggest challenge right now, idea of giving up alcohol for good. But I know I can do it! Wishing you all success and happiness!
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    my brain still wants what it wants. I may have to take it in stages
    I think doing things in stages makes sense. I know one of the reasons I drink when I wasn't planning to is that I feel I am being "punished" and not able to have the snacks I want. So what do I do? I have a couple of drinks AND snack! Today I gave myself some crackers and peanuts -- things I try to avoid -- because I didn't want to start that needy feeling. Doing things in stages makes sense to me!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Do you ladies find that it's hard to be in your social circle after you make the decision to stop drinking? Unfortunately drinking is the social thing that "my crew" does for fun! Do I need to make new friends that have healthier habits? Or, is up to me to stand my ground with my friends? I mean, I know they will accept my choice, but I also know it's hard for people to get drunk around sober people because they feel foolish (they usually are foolish). Ugh.

If they are real friends, they will support your decision, however, if you continue to socialize with them frequently, you are less likely to have success with your abstinence. Keep your old friends but see them less often, or make a point to do other activities with them that don't involve drinking.

Making new friends who don't drink is a great idea!

• andersonash1111
    andersonash1111 Posts: 19 Member
    I'm trying to quit smoking. Drinking isn't an issue for me because I might have 2 beers a month.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member

Definitely stand your ground! If you think your friends will accept the choice, then you're golden. I don't drink at all, and managed to survive high school and college this way. I found that good friends really respect my choice and I still have fun. Some people will interrogate you over it, but that usually reflects poorly on them and not you!
  • epixa28
    epixa28 Posts: 115 Member
    I don't drink often, but when I do I definitely see/feel the difference in my body, and I really want to do everything I can to stay on track. So far it's been four days since I had a beer. Also, thinking about cutting caffeine since I've read a few articles about it slowing down the weightloss process.
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    I just found a very cool website on this with lots of good links. hipsobriety.com/
  • d_david_o
    d_david_o Posts: 35 Member
    Day 3 here! Not really a heavy drinker but just didn't see a way to make it fit with my diet so out it goes