Weight loss: What has been your most SUCCESSFUL strategy?

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    1. Just start
    2. Keep going regardless of mishaps
    3. Be gentle with yourself, it'll happen
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Weighing myself and logging all food daily.

Progressive weight lifting plus cardio as needed to meet my daily cal/macro goals.

Eating a high protein/carb diet: 40P/40C/20F.

Eliminating sodas and sugar flavored powdered drinks entirely from my diet.

Almost entirely eliminating and substantially reducing any source of sugar, alcohol, bread and other baked goods from my diet.

Tracking everything on MFP and Excel.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A refeed day when I need it. In the past, I did six days at goal then one day at or slightly above maintenance, and I lost 80 pounds. This time around, I'm doing them when I feel I need them. I get to a point where my resolve is weakening and cravings are intensifying, and I know it's time to have a maintenance day.

Pre-logging your day is extremely helpful, also. I like to do it the night before.

Drink water. Lots and lots of water and not much else. If you have juice or other high-sugar, high-calorie drinks, limit it to 1/2 cup with meals.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    I only allow myself to watch my favorite television shows if I am doing cardio. Just that little change kick started my weight loss. And I also concentrate on calories in/calories out. I just started adding back weights too after a two year break.
  • tishawj
    tishawj Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more
    Weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth...even on the splurge days.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Making reasonable long term life changes. Logging all intake, with accurate measurements.
    Eat the junk. If I want it, I eat it with reasonable portions. 9/10 times I change my mind about it after I have had a little bit - but that intake still gets logged.
    Increasing my physical activity.
    Trusting the math.
    Doing the work and being patient for the results.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    eating the most calories at times when I'm hungry, like lunch & more at dinner. I need to feel a little full, then I'm good for 5 hrs. Having a snack at 8pm so I won't get hungry in the evening and finding things I like that are lower calorie yet I can eat more of, like veggies, grilled boneless/skinless chicken thighs, ham, ground turkey & eat a reasonable amount of other things that have more calories that I used to eat too much of like rice & chips. Also find substitutes of things I like that are less calories, like I discovered PB2 instead of regular peanut butter, my favorite yogurt is really the non fat greek plain from costco. While I don't eat much sweets, when I do, I put a few Tbl of cool whip into my 1/2 cup yogurt & add fruit & a a little cereal. That;s my favorite night snack
  • nourhanehab7
    nourhanehab7 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Zumba
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Eating whole foods and low carb. Both ideally.
  • Fathater36
    Fathater36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Giving up bread , rice , oil, wine, cheese, and butter
    I gave up lots but it is working.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Managing my diet over the long term instead of the short term. Not taking on restrictive diet changes for the short-term, nothing unsustainable over the long term. Not sweating it if I have one bigger day once in a while (3, 4 times a year) on an exception basis. Including a planned amount of "recreational calories" into every day.

Having a big picture eating plan each day based on my schedule / exercise / social needs for that day (will I have a big breakfast? will I eat out? should I plan on making up for a more indulgent dinner with a lighter breakfast and/or lunch? will I eat snacks, and if so, when? should I push in some calories and/or carbs timed to support or recover from a tough exercise session?) and eating with intention towards that plan.

Minimizing "opportunisitic" or impulsive eating. Just because someone offers me free food or booze doesn't mean I'm somehow missing out if I don't take advantage of their offer, especially if it's only marginally delicious food I wouldn't necessarily eat if I were paying for it.

4 years in. Healthiest I've ever been. Strongest and leanest I've ever been. >165 lbs down from my highest.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me it's been being honest with myself...as in writing it all down. Secondly, understand why I wanted to "over eat" , in my case...boredom. now if I grab a snack and I know it will set me over my limit I put it in a certain spot and walk around for 5 minutes...If I still want it I eat it with a full bottle of water....9 out of 10 times I realise I don't want it, but the times I do have it I'm pretty satisfied with it and the water ;)
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Eating better, being more active, counting calories.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Accepting that slow and steady was the right way for me to lose weight.
    Logging absolutely everything, including days when I go over my allowance.
    Not having to quit any foods, just working really heard to eat reasonable portions.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sticking to my calorie goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Logging everything as accurately as possible (food scale)
    Picking a REASONABLE goal (none of that 1200 calories BS)
    Limiting non filling calories as much as possible (drinks mostly)
    Being active (and accounting for that in my goal too)

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding! Seriously, though, the best strategy is one where you end up burning more calories than what you take in.