Macro breakdown

Options
What percentages do folks use for maintenance? I know everyone's different and everyone's bodies and goals are varied, but I was just curious

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I only focus on protein and ignore the other macros.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't do percentages. I work out protein and fat grams, keep them pretty constant, and change carbs to suit my goals
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I used the guideline to get 0.8g protein per lb body weight, which works out to @ 30% of my calories. So I aim for 40/30/30, but more often than not I end up with 50/25/25 :neutral:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I use grams. In maintenance I do a gram per pound of body weight, .35-.4g per pound of body weight in fat, rest in carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Never used percentages when I was food logging, that's a pointless restriction IMHO.

My macro goals were protein at 1g/lb of LBM, fat at 0.4g of body weight - both as minimums.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories/macros anymore, but I have a strong feeling I'm very close to MFP's default 50C 30F 20P.

While losing, I cut most of my calories from carbs. I also ate completly diffently, and very similar, before, during and after weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My macros are the same for cutting as maintenance - I only hold a deficit of about 200 cals when I cut so it doesn't make that much difference.
  • LoveGoalie1
    LoveGoalie1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Being in range with the recommended macro's of mfp.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also work in grams. For maintenance I usually go for​ (minimum) 120-130g protein, 75g fat and rest carbs
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I use 40% carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat. If I go more than 40% carb I can't lose and if I go over 50% I have a hard time maintaining. I usually make my carbs (I've been logging 5 years). I have a hard time hitting my protein.
  • BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try for 40/30/30, but it's tough as a vegetarian, so most days it's closer to 50/25/25.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I do about 1g/lb protein and 2g/lb carbs (both by bodyweight) and the rest fat. It works out to about 23% Protein 47% Carbs, 30% fat, but I'm on a bulk.

When I'm cutting the protein will be the same, but the carbs will come down to 45% and the fat will come down to 25%.

I know the protein's a touch high, but I figure if I aim for that I'll hit near the mark most of the time.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    20-30%p, 30-50%F, 30-50%C

Varies by day. I eat more carbs when I'm doing more exercising.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,541 Member
    Options
    Grams for me, too. I do 0.8g minimum protein per pound of goal weight (usually get more), 0.35-0.45g fat minimum, carbs fall where they may to hit calorie goal. I also target a bare minimum of 5 servings of varied fruit/veg for micros & fiber, but most often get 10+ because I love my fruits'n'veggies. :)

I set my MFP macro goal percents so they fall close to my gram targets before exercise, but in practice eat to the gram targets.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,986 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I track everything.

My macro goal is and always has been 40P/40C/20F. Have used these macros to lose 36# from 196 & +20%BF in the 1st 5 months and maintain for the last 7 from 155-160 & currently at 157 & 10%BF.

Calories have varied from a low of 1600 at start of weight loss to 2000 currently in maintenance; grams of P/C/F varied accordingly.

Currently, this works out to 200gP/200gC/44.4gF and about 1.25gP/#BW, which "sounds" high but the reality is a bit different.

The actual average over the year is closer to 33P/39C/28F and a range of 0.81-1.22gP/#BW.

Even after making a concerted effort this month, I've only gotten 38P/36C/26F and 1.19gP/#BW or an ave of 186gP/day on an ave of 1979 cal/day, as of today.

Entirely happy w/the results I've achieved using these macros, when combined w/a program of lifting, calisthenics, crossfit and cardio exercises suited to my needs.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i let mfp populate the macros.
  • feebeejay
    feebeejay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is about the gazillionth time I've been tracking calories and have just switched to mfp. I have only been tracking for 2 weeks and my original goals were 40C/30F/30P, but noticed an average over the first week of 45C/30F/25P which seems kind of manageable. I'm still aiming for the 30P, but just don't know how realistic it is. I'm still experimenting and working it all out. I think I've lost 2kg in my first 2 weeks, so I'm ok with that. Interesting to log in some foods that you think would be better choices and find they really aren't. I've discovered home prepared and made is much easier to know exactly what goes into everything and can 'save' on unnecessary 'fat' calories.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 I find it's the easiest to stick too. I'm not super worried about exact grams.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I set it for the recommended minimum of protein and fat (0.8*goal weight in lbs=96g; 35g calculated from another site respectively) with 100% exercise calories going to carbs..I make sure I meet or go over the protein, fat, (and fiber) and ignore carbs number.