Who do you believe?

Options
angelsja
angelsja Posts: 860 Member
So when you scan a barcode and the product comes up but is different to the values on the box what do you do go with what mfp is telling you or the box? Also recipes I've been getting recipes from tesco website and the have nutritional values on them but after using the recipe function on mfp the values are wildly different sometimes double what the online recipe is claiming

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No. Go for the box. Always the box. Things can change and MFP won't be aware until a user inputs the different data.

They will be different because of different weights and ingredients
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    So when you scan a barcode and the product comes up but is different to the values on the box what do you do go with what mfp is telling you or the box? Also recipes I've been getting recipes from tesco website and the have nutritional values on them but after using the recipe function on mfp the values are wildly different sometimes double what the online recipe is claiming

use whats on the packaging.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah on the box
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    lol the box of course
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    The box, with the exception of whole, unaltered foods. Use the USDA food database (Google it) to cross check these foods. For example, a chain grocery store in my hometown sells lentils and incorrectly labels the calories at nearly half the amount they actually are.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The calories etc were higher so I've gone for using mfp values id rather overestimate my calories than under estimate what about recipes though how can they be so wildly different from the website and what I get when I put in the ingredients into mfp?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Definitely the box, Even if the product is the same, quite often ingredients and nutritional values can vary from country to country as they modify for local tastes but still sell the product under the same branding.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    For recipes you need to check the entry for the ingredient is correct. There are also a lot of user created entries for whole foods. IIRC someone had been using a random chicken entry that was about half the calories it should be.

So make sure the entries you're using are correct, your entered recipe is always going to be correct that way.