I had a cheat day.

Options
And that turned into a cheat weekend. I've been doing great for the past two months, but this weekend I ate over 3500 calories a day. It was like I couldn't control my cravings, and if I tried to be disciplined I was instantly depressed. So I gave in and ate what I wanted. Now I'm up 4 pounds this morning on the scale.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Only 4 lbs? A lot will be water...

How restrictive have you been in the two months prior? What is your rate of loss set at? And how many cals do you eat normally?
  • aamerine08
    aamerine08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a daily calorie goal of 1800 calories and I stick to that pretty closely. So far I've been losing about 2 pounds a week.
  • Pro_California
    Pro_California Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You're probably only a week behind which is nothing compared to the diet, so I wouldn't worry about it and be careful with cheat days, spread them out as far as you can, and always resume the diet the following day. You have to moderate cheat days a little bit, but it's better to overeat than to not be satisfied. If you cut your calories leading up the cheat day you will feel a lot better about it and you can even cut afterwards. I'm three months in and I haven't messed up once, but it's more about getting back on the diet than never making a mistake in the first place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Surely you're not surprised that the scales have gone up?

It's mainly water, it'll come back off just get back to your deficit.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In the big picture this is nothing. For the rest of your life you'll have these mini-battles. Once you reach maintenance it'll be all about accommodating real life while maintaining your weight loss. This is good practice. I agree that most is water weight. You'll take a week max, and be back where you were. Enjoy your cheat days, but space them out.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Some of it is water, some just food in your system.

When I overeat I remember that all that extra fuel is going to help my performance in the gym so I just go in and CRUSH it and enjoy myself. Use your fuel!
  • CaydensMommy
    CaydensMommy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat, kinda. I had my yearly beach vacation last month. I didn't plan on counting calories that week. So that turned into almost a month worth of cheat days. I'm back on it tomorrow. Good luck to you!
  • aamerine08
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Some of it is water, some just food in your system.

When I overeat I remember that all that extra fuel is going to help my performance in the gym so I just go in and CRUSH it and enjoy myself. Use your fuel!

Ha! I love this. Well I definitely used up some of the food for this morning's workout.
  • aamerine08
    Options
    You're probably only a week behind which is nothing compared to the diet, so I wouldn't worry about it and be careful with cheat days, spread them out as far as you can, and always resume the diet the following day. You have to moderate cheat days a little bit, but it's better to overeat than to not be satisfied. If you cut your calories leading up the cheat day you will feel a lot better about it and you can even cut afterwards. I'm three months in and I haven't messed up once, but it's more about getting back on the diet than never making a mistake in the first place.

Great tips. I definitely have to be more calculated about things like this.
  • aamerine08
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips and support! Surely I didn't expect the scale to stay the same. I just needed to vent and regroup. It's crazy how quickly you can fall down that slippery slope.
  • Deb63433
    Deb63433 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This weekend was problematic with a birthday party and a cake to die for. I managed to have a small piece and didn't go over my calories; however, it made it very difficult. But I'm back on the wagon now.