Exercise Calories

Options
Hi all, I am new to all of this Calorie Counting.... on my 2nd day to be precise :) So be easy with me! Lol!

The calories I burn during exercise, should I not touch these or should I be eating them? Is it all down to how much weight I want to lose??

Thanks in advance

Sarah x

Replies

• fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The theory is that My Fitness Pal has already factored in a calorie deficit in your daily allowance so if you stick to that, you should lose weight. You can therefore eat your exercise calories if you want and still lose weight. That said, there are as many opinions on this as there are members on MFP so if you want to eat them, do, if not, don't. Personally I don't go out of my way to eat them because I am also cooking for the wife who doesn't exercise with me, so I aim to get the calories right for her. That said, if I have earned some cals and want a bag of crisps (chips) when I get home, I eat them!

HTH
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh what a can of worms this question always opens lol
  • slofitness1978
    slofitness1978 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The theory is that My Fitness Pal has already factored in a calorie deficit in your daily allowance so if you stick to that, you should lose weight. You can therefore eat your exercise calories if you want and still lose weight. That said, there are as many opinions on this as there are members on MFP so if you want to eat them, do, if not, don't. Personally I don't go out of my way to eat them because I am also cooking for the wife who doesn't exercise with me, so I aim to get the calories right for her. That said, if I have earned some cals and want a bag of crisps (chips) when I get home, I eat them!

HTH

Thanks for your help! :) x
  • slofitness1978
    Options

As I've said, I am new, so I apologise in advance...
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them back...you are trying to lose weight right?

As long as you eat every few hours, your body is going to have enough fuel to go throughout the day, and will learn to utilize what it gets as it comes it more efficiently.

I'm netting 800 calories a day after my exercise and I'm losing like crazy, and I don't crash or am rarely hungry.
  • covshark
    covshark Posts: 17
    Options

As I've said, I am new, so I apologise in advance...

No need to apologise at all. We all start some where and asking the question here is the best place to start. That said, this question comes up quite a bit and you have one person saying consume them and others saying they don't. At the end of the day, it's personal preference. Personally I try not to use them but if I want an extra treat then I am happy to dip in them - I'd rather that than go over my goal. Hope that helps and welcome! :smile:
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well I am not losing weight and have been told its because i'm note eating my exercise calories back
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat them
    Don't eat them
    Eat some of them

Everyone on here has a different opinion.

My adivce is trial and error - try eating them to begin with and if after a few weeks that doesn't work try eating half of them.

I am on 1200 cals and without my exercise cals I would be pretty hungry I have to say :-(
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I didnt start loosing weight till I started eating them back or at least most of them.

I treat them like my "bonus checks" You know, that extra money you get that you dont expect? So you put half in savings and have to plump up your monthly budget? lol, so I put half of them into my daily budget and the other half into savings for like a cushion for the very end of the day in case I need a midnight snack or wake up in the middle of the night bcuz I am starving or as another member said wants to treat himself to a little something extra like chips. So I leave 100-200 extra of my ex calories for that. Then there is a fact that face it, some days you might go over your daily calories a little but you wont freak about it if every day you were under a little bit. Not a lot under, but a little bit.

Sometimes I don't eat them all back because well I am satisfied and I dont NEED to Everyone's body is different so.......

My best advice is follow your hunger cues. . It is purely a personal choice but mfp intention is that you DO eat them back.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them back...you are trying to lose weight right?

As long as you eat every few hours, your body is going to have enough fuel to go throughout the day, and will learn to utilize what it gets as it comes it more efficiently.

I'm netting 800 calories a day after my exercise and I'm losing like crazy, and I don't crash or am rarely hungry.
    This And...
    Eat more only when you are close to your goal weight.
    Eat carbs around exercises and you will have enough energy for that workout.

Everyone that is not loosing their weight and are 20%+ bf man or 28%+ woman should
    1. Remove all sugars(Artificial too)
    2. Limit fruit (1 fruit a day).
    3. All bread is dead even whole bread (Yes all grains oky put in a few loafs of whole grain bread if you really that desperate).
    4. Limit or exclude all dairy.
    5. Eat protein with every meal

And
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder
  • slofitness1978
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, it's appreciated :)

OK so the majority goes with... see what suits you best! Which is what I will do! Thanks again x
  • mroger801
    mroger801 Posts: 91
    Options
    I do not eat them back and consider them bonus calories burned to speed up my weight loss. I found when I tried adding them in on MFP, it threw all my numbers out of whack and just became more confusing.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I loose more weight when I eat more, go figure. I don't eat them all, just enough so i don't feel like I'm dying, especially if I burned a lot of calories.