Eating healthy on a very strict budget.

Options
i am limited to about 700 dollars each month so i would like some suggestions as to what kind of healthy items i can buy that arent super expensive. i would like to have a 200 dollar a month max budget for food. is this even possible to make good choices with such a small budget?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I buy a large bag of frozen bean and carrot mix from Coscto for about 7$. That feeds me and my BF (who's bulking) for about 2 weeks of prepped meals plus dinner sides.
    English muffins are cheap carbs/bread that are versatile; I use them for breakfast, as my bread at dinner, to make small sandwiches etc. and they're about 1.00/pack of 6 (Canadian mind you, probably less in the US)
    For lean meats I tend to go chicken (if you're willing to trim a tiny amount of skin off your breasts you can get really decent bulk sales.

Also I have an app where I can price match based on the flyers of other stores in my area. I splurge on some things but for the most part my staples are reasonably cheap.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    And this goes without saying, but you can eat what you're eating now, less would definitely cost less than you're currently paying. Maybe grab a protein powder to supplement if you need but for the most part, not a lot needs to change.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It is difficult, but possible. A few tips: frozen vegetables are more cost effective (because you can keep them frozen and use only what you need each time = less waste) and just as healthy as fresh. Beans are a healthy way to get both fiber and protein at once and you can usually buy a pound for $1 (and get several meals out of one pound). Buy only what you need so that you don't waste food by throwing it away because it spoiled, etc. If you're on a limited income see if there are supplemental food programs in your area that will help you fill in the gaps. Best of luck!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have to second Aldi, they are the best buy, especially when it comes to produce.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen veggies and they won't go bad like fresh ones. Make your own hamburger helper meals from bags of plain pastas or rice and your own spices and cheeses, plus it's healthier without so much sodium.

Get the bags of boneless chicken breasts and bake them ahead of time, then add them to salads or casseroles or mix your own chicken salads and have that with celery.

Previous poster is right - eggs go a looong way!

Do soups and stews in large batches then freeze the bulk of it.

Meal Planning is key - I feed a family of 4 (including a teenage boy who eats constantly) for about 70 a week. Check out your discount stores (we have an Aldi and I love it).
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I used to spend $200 a month for 2 adults, 1 kid. It was during my most successful time of losing weight.

I buy chicken breasts in bulk and freeze. Chicken has a lot of protein per pound and is one of the cheapest sources.

Eggs for breakfast.

Frozen fruit and vegetables (unless you can find them on sale. Berries are often on sale now. Buy and freeze.)

Beans and rice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i am limited to about 700 dollars each month so i would like some suggestions as to what kind of healthy items i can buy that arent super expensive. i would like to have a 200 dollar a month max budget for food. is this even possible to make good choices with such a small budget?

Sure, I had a $200 / month budget as an experiment for a few months and it was no problem for me. Also, I was eating humanely raised meat and dairy products and certain of my vegetables were organic, so this raised my costs. However, staying at $200 was only possible because I cooked the vast majority of my foods from scratch and mostly used cheaper cuts of meat like chicken thighs. I didn't waste money on foods like soda or boxed cereal or Ultra Processed Foods. I had limited frig space and worked at never having any food waste.

During this time, I shopped at Whole Foods, Publix, and farmer's markets for produce. I bought staples like rice and beans in bulk.

I planned so there was no need to eat out or get other convenience food. I shopped and batch cooked on the weekend to give me lunches and dinners for most of the work week.
  • btfullerton
    btfullerton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and help me out. i really appreciate it. :)
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestions for: buying staples in bulk, eating frozen vegetables and fruit/vegetables in season, dried beans, oats, and eggs, and avoiding flavored drinks, convenience or fast foods as much as you can. Restaurants and take-out foods are usually the biggest budget drains, even if you're buying from the dollar menu.

Prepare food in batches, divide it into portions, and then refrigerate or freeze the portions. This saves time and work, and allows you to save money by buying in bulk. Because you don't have to eat everything you cook right away, this allows you to vary your menu more. It also works well for packed lunches.

Good snacks include sunflower seeds or peanuts in large packages, or bulk popcorn that you pop yourself in a pan on the stovetop or in a microwave popper.

If you need spices, see if there is an ethnic food supermarket or grocery in your area and check it out.

Inexpensive drinks (other than water) are tea or coffee that you make yourself, or instant drink mixes that you make at home in a pitcher.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips. If you like chicken, buy a whole one or parts with bones. Roast it, and save the fat/drippings and bones. Use the drippings to cook other things like eggs. If you buy fresh vegetables, make sure you save the scraps. Take the bones and scraps of vegetables to make broth.

Want to cook mashed potatoes or other root vegetables? Use the fat and broth instead of butter or oil. You can also make some sort of gravy with those two ingredients .There are lots of way to save; it's just a matter of being creative.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    BudgetBytes is a good site for low cost healthy meals - she breaks down the cost per ingredient (based on where she lives of course). The food is really good, and most meals come in at around $1-$2 per serving.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your going to be into this suggestion or not, but when I was that limited on funds, I cut my weekly to budget to around $50 some weeks I was lower some higher.

1.) Find the sales are your stores, check the weekly ad and go off of that, also check the newspaper internet etc for coupons, youll find some sometimes for eggs, sour cream, yogurt, things that you could fit into your budget and coupons always help
    2.) there are tons and tons of rebate apps (ibotta, checkout51 and many others) that will give you cash back into paypal for buying food,
    3.) Plan your meals ahead of time, get a large thing of chicken and make it into several meals that week or freeze it.
    4.) Buy in bulk when you can, but make sure you arent over buying just because its cheaper by unit, my husband wont let me forget the time I bought a box of grapefruits because the unit price was cheaper, when I only need 3 a week (I cut in half and take half to work every morning) needless to say, we wasted money on that, but I learned a lesson
    5.) your budget will be cut in half if your spending money on beverages, those suckers can really rack up your grocery bill especially soda and juice.
    6.) When looking for recipes try to find ones that have few ingredients, some of the meals I made with 5 ingredients or less are recipes we still use today, Here are two examples: Sausage, tomatoes and beans the ingredients are literally Italian sausage (or turkey sausage) fresh or canned tomatoes, onions, and white beans, cook the sausage and then throw everything else into the crockpot, or into a pot on the stove and simmer, done. And another Kale porkloin soup. Chicken broth, porkloin, tomatoes, white beans, onion. Cook the pork, remove from pot, cook onions, add tomatoes and beans, put pork back in, add chicken broth, add kale boil done.
    7.) I found making meals in slightly larger quantities worked out better for the budget, making soup we made double the batch, it lasts longer (obviously) and isn't much more expensive to double a recipe.
    8.) Simple and cheap meals dont mean tasteless or unhealthy, the cheapest meal I make is chicken and broccoli, its obliviously chicken, broccoli and then just a sauce which we change around, it has a little soy sauce, hot sauce, peanut butter, and some spices, under 300 calories a serving and its super cheap especially is frozen broccoli is involved!

You can totally stick to $50 a week, it'll be tough and take some planning ahead of time, but saving money on food and having meals that you enjoy is such a rewarding feeling!