Arbitrary Rules I Create for Myself

Options
I'm seeking opinions or feedback about the situation I'm in. I'm giving weight loss a legitimate effort again, and I know it all comes down to CI < CO. I do not plan on giving up any foods or beverages permanently because I know that's not necessary, and I do enjoy the occasional pop (soda) or alcoholic beverage, among other things. At the same time, I recognize the importance of choosing foods/drinks wisely if you're aiming for a goal of 1600ish calories per day.

On to the point: a week ago I made a plan to not drink pop or alcohol for 30 days (and not replace them with equally-caloric drinks). The purpose of this was to break the pop habit I had developed; I was drinking anywhere from 24-60 oz. of soda daily. As for alcohol, I would drink a few evenings a week and that doesn't fit well into my calorie goal. I also felt abstaining from both for 30 days would help "jump start" (for lack of a better term) my new regimen, but in reality I know there's no such thing. As soon as you start actually counting calories (and limiting them to an amount equaling a deficit), you are on the new plan - no jump start needed. Now I'm second guessing why I decided to completely avoid pop/alcohol, but I'm not sure if I'm doubting my plan because I really just want a freakin' pop right now, or if I just realize how arbitrary and unnecessary it is. I've gone a whole week (roll your eyes, soda-free people, no offense taken :wink: ) without a soda in any form with no ill effects, so my "daily" habit is effectively gone (right?)...so now I wonder if I should just get on to the ultimate plan - all things in moderation, if they fit my calories. Then, I also worry what those close to me will think if I don't go the whole 30 days.

Thoughts? Advice? (Other than "how 'bout you unpack all that baggage at a shrink's office, lady!")

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Could you just do diet soda so you meet yourself in the middle? I think the scientific creation of a habit is more than a week but that's a semantics discussion.

It's tricky. I get why you did it. I get the reluctance to not complete it. But if you feel like you've achieved what you wanted then that's still a win really.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eh. I quit drinking diet soda - well any soda - for a year. No good reason for it. Didn't do anything for my weight or health. I still don't drink caffeinated sodas - or my favorite because I know I'll immediately go back to drinking it all the time again. I have no good reason still because I drink coffee with caffeine all the time now - just replaced soda with coffee and the soda was diet so zero calories and the coffee isn't black so it has a lot more calories. Silly things we do....
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet pop for years. The regular stuff is too sugary for me these days. Never been much of an alcohol drinker, though I do have it on rare occasions.

Bottom line: if you have the calories for it, and you want it, you can have it.

Me, I generally drink water, tea, and diet pop, not necessarily in that order. I eat fruit, but rarely drink juice and try to avoid flavored sugar water, whether or not it contains "10% fruit juice" etc. However, my next door neighbor's kids have been running a lemonade stand for the last couple of days. In the interest of good neighbor relations, I decided that it was worth 135 calories to help them out. No regrets, just didn't have a snack or two that I might have had otherwise.

I'm in favor of "all things in moderation if they fit my calories," so long as I can actually moderate them. (Put me in a room with a bowl full of jelly beans, and it will not end well—for me or the jelly beans. I avoid anything to do with caramel, not because I think caramel is the new trans-fat, but because if I'm there, the caramel won't be for long.)

Good luck!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In my opinion when we make a plan (any plan) that we wish to follow (for what ever reason), we should stick to it as previously planned (no pun intended).

The only reason to deviate or cancel it is for strong health or personal reasons. However, what ever you decide to do is your decision, your "diet," your body, your life. Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should stick to the original plan to prove that you can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty bad soda thing going on when I started years ago and it was the first thing I dealt with...not only from a health standpoint, but it was a really easy way to eliminate calories from my diet. I used to drink anywhere from 3-6 12oz sodas per day...I might have 4 in and entire year now. It's something I just stuck with for the most part...

I don't log, so I have all kinds of "rules" for myself that keep me on point.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just switched to diet soda but I hate paying that much for cans that I always blow through so I just stopped buying it. Now I get those Crystal Light single serving pouches for the odd variety.

I really eat rather clean because I'm really trying to get enough potassium and magnesium through food alone so on 1600 that doesn't leave me a lot of room for anything really fun. As a compromise I do have a higher weekend day where I include food that is nutritionally questionable but for the most part I'm pretty un-fun right now lol
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you, you can look at it from two ways:

The sense of achievement from reaching your self imposed ban on pop at the end of the 30 days (which is about the time it takes to change a habit or so they say).

Or

If it fits my calories then I can have some pop, I myself changed to diet pop years ago and never looked back, you can pry it from my cold dead hands! :D
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda years ago. At first, it was tough but after about 3 weeks, it got much easier and the cravings went away. I don't miss it at all. Not drinking all those liquid calories makes sticking to my budget and staying satisfied much, much easier.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I think the longer you are away from it, the taste may no longer be palatable. My friend was a heavy pop drinker- 15 cans of diet coke a day girl. Finally quit cold turkey - had one a few months later and didn't like the taste. She now drinks iced tea. 3 years without a pop/soda.

I was the same with cigarettes. I had quit many times and always had just one..that led to many more. I quit cold turkey - tried one 6 months later and the taste was terrible. I still get cravings, but I know it will be awful. Oh I quit smoking 25 yrs ago.. Food is obviously different. but sometimes it's the mind that wants it. resist and feel really good about it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Personally I would stick to the plan.
    Try drinking club soda, it has the fizz but no calories.

I was in Europe on a 3 week vacation a few years ago and found it frustrating trying to get ginger ale in so many different languages, never mind it tasted horrid when the bottle had been in my bag for hours while I walked around some roasting hot ruin.
    I ended up buying soda water- it travelled better.

The upshot of that trip was that once I got home I had totally lost the taste for sweetened fizzy drinks. I no longer tasted the flavour, just the sugar or sweetener.

Of course the exception to the rule is a gin and tonic- that I still enjoy.

Cheers, h.

I bought a soda stream. I make my fizzy water with it, and if I need a 'pop' I have the syrups with sugar or sugar free.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention headaches, so it doesn't sound like you have bad caffeine withdrawal, but maybe have a little (lightly or unsweetened) tea or coffee just to see if it is the caffeine that is making you jones for a soda.

Yep, when I did Weight Watchers in the 90s seeing how many points wine was costing me was really eye opening.

I suggest you do complete the 30 days. I gave up excessive salt for Lent and really needed to do it for the whole 6 weeks to get out of the habit and realize the benefits. (Turned out excessive salt right before bed was messing with my sleep - SO glad to have that figured out!)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Ive never been a huge soda person. I will rarely, maybe once a month have a root beer or diet DP.
    Once I quit drinking it- I never want it anymore. Same goes for cake/candy/sweets. - Ill eat a piece when there is a party but I never actively seek it out or buy it at the store.
    (Salty carbs are my bugaboo)
    I am abstaining from alcohol for several reasons so i understand some of the torment, but they dont make diet wine as an alternative. So at least you have a calorie free option.
    But... you set a plan for yourself. Youve done well thus far.
    Dont doubt yourself - keep going. Its ok to feel weak about a choice you made, and wonder if..... just dont. You'll be glad you did.