Weird off brand things

Options
captainfantastic94
captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
itcc4ew6586f.jpg
So I found this box... and it's red.... and it has movies in it... but it's not quite a redbox! That got me thinking, what weird not quite a brand things do you have in your area?

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    We had a convenience store that was called zasty market which is a rip of (to me) of the chain called hasty market
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Also we had a Popeyes chicken restaurant that closed and the new owners opened an independent chicken restaurant, but all the colours and the sign look quite similar. If you were driving by you would think it is a Popeyes location until you read the sign.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Ray's Pizza in NYC

it seems that there's one (well, a different one) on every corner
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Also that time i couldn't believe Sharpies were so cheap
    (Except I think mine actually said shoopie but here's an example)

gsvx9fkovzd0.jpg

lol, Shar Pei, like the dog!
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Ray's Pizza in NYC

it seems that there's one (well, a different one) on every corner

But the real one’s on 11th. And if you see a sign that says “Peep Show”, that doesn’t mean that they’re letting you look at the new toys before Christmas.”
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Also that time i couldn't believe Sharpies were so cheap
    (Except I think mine actually said shoopie but here's an example)

gsvx9fkovzd0.jpg
    It's like high school musical!
    Some of my favorites come from ALDI

ean4xrjtqp1p.jpg

bbbr8jxkc689.jpg
    Do those "original" cookies actually taste good
    most of the stuff at the Dollar General down the street is basically knock off versions of everything. except for oreos. i find every unique style of oreo there before i ever see them anywhere else, if i see them anywhere else at all.

like i just found these Jelly Donut Oreos there the other day, which is weird because they're supposed to be a walmart exclusive. and yet my walmart doesn't have the jelly donut ones at all. i'm not entirely confident that i exist in the same reality as the original prime jelly donut oreo/walmart reality tbh.

sometimes the alternatives are better is what i'm saying i guess?

This got to me at a really deep level
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dollar General has these caramel coconut cookies that are just like the Girl Scouts caramel delights. I only buy them in between girl scout cookie sales.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    @FireTurtle75 all of the yes
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Miz_T wrote: »
    Dollar General has these caramel coconut cookies that are just like the Girl Scouts caramel delights. I only buy them in between girl scout cookie sales.

Omg I've had those! This is totally true
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Walmart brand potato chips are the best! Way better than the name brand ones. I know there's other stuff too but not jumping out at me right now.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Roberitos who started it and then became the Filibertos, followed by Eribertos, Albertos, Lobertos, Adiberto's, Humberto's, Polberto's, etc.

Crazy.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Roberitos who started it and then became the Filibertos, followed by Eribertos, Albertos, Lobertos, Adiberto's, Humberto's, Polberto's, etc.

Crazy.

One on every corner.....

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My hometown as a Cold Stone Creamery ripoff joint called "Frosty Rock Creamery". :smirk:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Crazy.

One on every corner.....

Right? I eat at the Eribertos at 7th Ave and Osborn all the time. It's one of the better ones.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Walmart brand potato chips are the best! Way better than the name brand ones. I know there's other stuff too but not jumping out at me right now.

I had a friend that used to work for Frito Lay, she said you would be surprised at the number of different chips that went into both the name brand generic bags. The would produce one, for a while, then shut down the line until they switched the rolls of bags over to the generic ones & fire it back up. Half the time it's the same chips off the same line, one just costs more.

I believe that. That is the way lots of off brand things are, just a different label but made by the same company in the same factory so they can target all markets.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Same thing with canned veggies. Just read the labels for processing origin & you will figure out that as well.