went WAY over my calorie limit yesterday.... arghh

Options
Hi All,
I went out for a friends birthday yesterday and a bottle of wine later, plus A LOT of Chinese food at the restaurant and I am way WAY over my calorie limit yesterday. I feel really really guilty about it, but I am trying to look at it as a learning to curve so that next time I am faced with situation I am hoping to think about what goes into my mouth first so that I don't have to feel this guilty and horrible again! But my question is- should I try to make up for eating all those extra calories throughout the week so that by the end of the week I have brought my average back down to 1200cals? Does that make sense? Is this slip-up going to have a big impact on my weigh in at the end of the week?

Any thoughts, advice or help will be greatly appreciated! I am turning my mind in circles thinking about this :/

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    it was one day , foget it , new day, new start , drink plenty of water and DON'T go on the scales for a few days!
  • Pure_white
    Options
    Don't worry!!!
    If you are under your calories another day it all levels itself out. I'm always doing it. When I first started watching my calories i was losing rapidly doing it. Don't beat yourself up. x
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    exercise:happy: and stick to your allocated cals for the rest of the week :smile: I am prone to doing this once in a while but ultimately I am still loosing, sometimes slower than others but still going down:smile:
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would write it off - you had a day off so let it go and move on. If I was 20 minutes late for work on monday, I wouldn't then get there 5 minutes early for the rest of the week so I was on average on time. We are all allowed a treat now and then - look back and think how much you enjoyed the day and move on with your healthy eating :)
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do almost exactly what you said most weeks! I try and go a little bit under each day because I know that most weekends something happens (we have a meal out, we have family to stay, friends over for a meal, a take away) that requires more calories. On my ipod app, you can look at a weekly summary and most weeks my net is around the right goal.

I do it usually by leaving some exercise calories uneaten though - I wouldn't recommend not exercising and only eating 900ish cals!
  • RiseWayward
    RiseWayward Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with everyone - the most important thing is to not beat yourself up! you had a slip aaand it was a special occasion! i've had a bad couple of days going over myself so i'm intending on trying extra hard the next few days and exercising more. I tend to find that my weight doesn't catch up with what i've eaten for about 48hours (i admit i'm a sucker for weighing myself EVERY day :/!) but it gives me great motivation so that i wont see an increase in those nasty pounds. Usually if i stick with my limits over the next couple of days I stay the same so although i'm not losing i'm not gaining either and i let myself have a litte treat ;)
    Good luck anyway, stay strong! xxxx
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to go under your calories now to try and make it average out. It's not how your body works... it's starting a binge/ starve type cycle which is really not good for you.. i.e. "If I eat nothing today I can eat pizza tomorrow" (or vice versa)... it's not a good habit to get into!

Ignore it because it was one day, it's not going to stop you losing weight if you get yourself back on track, exercising and eating normally. Just forget it and move on :)
  • ndmckeown
    ndmckeown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's important to have the occasional "day off". If you don't, then I think it's much easier to get discouraged with your diet to the stage where you come off it altogether. That's what used to happen to me anyway!

Now, I try to be good 90% of the time, and don't beat myself up over the remaining 10%. I'm still losing weight, and I think I'm much less likely to rebound once I eventually get to my target weight as I'm not banning myself from eating anything.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine! I average my calories throughout the week just for this reason. Some days you come in low, a few days are high, and at the end of the week, if I'm on plan, I'm happy. I am maintaining now, but did do this when I was losing weight too and it worked just fine. I think it's essential to balance out these normal social occasions w/disciplined eating, otherwise it's going to be hard to stick to the plan in the long run.

if you have the iphone app, there is a weekly report I use that shows you the ups and down throughout the week so you can gauge how you are averaging. If you have that, it should help you see it pretty clearly.

Good luck and have a great disciplined day today, with lots of exercise!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The important thing is not that you indulged yourself. The important thing is that you don't let one day slide into two or three or so on. Enjoy the break and then get back to work. Just don't get upset about it. Regrets don't burn enough calories to be worthwhile.
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I also had a 'day off' today with pizza, beer and a crepe (ooer). Felt bad, but I know that I DO now feel bad for it and feel inclined to exercise it off. So when I got home, I did some quick jumping around, pushups, squats, crunches etc as well as other stuff. Doubt it made up for it, but I felt better and know I am allowed days off, but also shouldn't succumb so easily to peer pressure ;)
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone! Just consider it your "cheat day" or "off" day and continue on your way like nothing happened. It might help your weightloss-you never know.