Motivation

Options
How do you all stay motivated? I've been doing every thing right, eating clean and exercising daily and losing weight. But I'm just super tired all the time and I always have to push myself to get things done(could be my allergies and bad sinuses making me feel fatigued). Doesn't feel like I enjoy any thing any more it's so depressing!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You may need a few more calories if you are working out. After I get into shape I usually feel invigorated after a run.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    One of the questions for clinical depression is, "In the last two weeks have you felt helpless, hopeless or are you not finding pleasure in things you used to enjoy?" It's possible you could need medical help.

As a young person, you shouldn't be feeling tired all the time. How much are you eating? Are you getting any exercise? Is there something going on in your life that needs to be changed?
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I first started using MFP (seriously) I was hitting our treadmill and eating at a deficit. Mind you, it was a deficit that I (now) think I set too low. I was always fatigued but hey, I was losing weight. It didn't matter to me that I had little energy and always felt miserable both mentally and physically. In fairness, I have an issue with one of my knees so over time things became progressively worse which then only exacerbates those feelings but again, weight loss!

I changed my cardio routine to a strength and cardio mix and more or less gave up the treadmill as my primary cardio. The body felt better but I still felt tired, often. I increased he intensitynod my workouts last fall and at the same time, bit the billet and increased my calorie input for the day and I feel much better. I'm still worn down after a workout but I'm always good in he mornings and I've even added weight training to go along with the cardio 2-3 times a week. Don't be afraid of the calories, just be careful what kind of calories they are.
  • yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Staying motivated is a challenge. Because of my psych background, I tend to use lots of reinforcement and a great community to help me.

For me, I enjoy some of the challenge groups here on MFP (the amazing race, GoT), but my favorite is the Ilvermorny Challenge. The 3rd Term just ended and it is great. They don't necessarily focus on weight loss, so much as health and wellness through challenges regarding being physically active, nutrition, DADA (mental wellness/creativity activities which has in the past included meditation and doing something nice for someone). They have a new round of challenges starting in July if interested.
    https://ilvermornyfaculty.typeform.com/to/TSAotR

Either way, I'm a pretty good motivator even if I do post about those challenges, and anime frequently ^.^
    *PS I feel you on the allergies. Horribly allergic to all the pollens, dust, and strangely pomegranates (seriously that stuff is in alot of things lately).
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to be motivated all the time.

What you need are good habits and determination. I'm not a fan of "eating clean." Whatever it is, it's not necessary for weight loss.

All that's necessary is a calorie deficit and time. But nobody wants to allow for time.

Exercising everyday? You need a day off. At least one per week. Your muscles need a chance to rebuild. Try eating a bit more, see if you are still losing and feel better. Keep adjusting and experimenting. It's only a good plan if you can live with it long term.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I used the motivation to build habits. I now have those habits even though I am not motivated.

I take diet breaks when needed.

I don't "eat clean" or do anything I couldn't do long term (except for a calorie deficit. Obviously I will not and can not do that long term, but I include all of my favorite foods in my diet).