How do I maintain 3,000 calories each day?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can add fat to anything. Cream cheese and peanut butter are incredibly calorie dense and not that filling.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Cashews! Roasted salted nuts! I can't even buy them because I'd eat the whole container in an afternoon. I HOPE for one day when I'm trying to gain. I will eat roasted salted mixed nuts morning, noon, and night.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Cashews! Roasted salted nuts! I can't even buy them because I'd eat the whole container in an afternoon. I HOPE for one day when I'm trying to gain. I will eat roasted salted mixed nuts morning, noon, and night.
    Yes, me too.
  • mslotten77
    mslotten77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started a weight gain high calorie diet. And am scary thin. That being said I've learned a lot about high calorie shakes. At this point early in I'm not concerned too much about fats but. Fire up the blender, whole milk, Greek yogurt, bananas, blue berries, some oats, etc and you can add a lot of calories. Yesterday I did one that was a whopping 2000 calories
  • stephanieturner0122
    stephanieturner0122 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The majority of guys I see lifting at the gym seem to think their calorie needs are much higher than they are. Rather than muscular and lean, they tend to have guts like a barrel. Your calorie goal seems too high unless you're an Ironman. I'd really consider how much you truly need to eat.
  • mslotten77
    mslotten77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The majority of guys I see lifting at the gym seem to think their calorie needs are much higher than they are. Rather than muscular and lean, they tend to have guts like a barrel. Your calorie goal seems too high unless you're an Ironman. I'd really consider how much you truly need to eat.

Not an iron man but dangerously under weight. I'm 6'3" and 138# I need to get some weight on. Don't have much left to lose. Just stating you can throw 5-800 calories together quick and easy in a blender if you need to hit your goals.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    bsurb wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I just recently got back into the gym (did they lock you out or something?) and my goal is (to lift?) 1 lb per week . Im aiming for 3,200 calories per day (I thought you said 3000, why the extra 200?). What foods do you recommend (have you never eaten before?) and how should I break it down by the hour or how many meals per day? As of 830pm I have about 1,000 calories remaining to digest but I am FULL.

How do I make it easier to hit that daily calorie goal?

Your easy answer is to lower it. That's a lot of calories. Listen to your body.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

and I know 5'2" females who are active who maintain on 3000 calories - you can't just make a blanket statement about what is and isn't right (says an 2x ironman)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lol...3,000 calories to maintain isn't a lot for most men who just exercise on the regular...no where close to iron man training.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Lol...3,000 calories to maintain isn't a lot for most men who just exercise on the regular...no where close to iron man training.

pretty sure I maxed out on about 3500 during my peak training (not including intra-workout calories) during my last ironman season (even for half-irons, I peak at around 3000 a day)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake. Cheesecake everyday.
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    With my daily bike commute I maintain on 3100-3200 a day. 5'10", 162# male. There's no reason to think 3200 isn't the correct number.

I'll echo what others have said; get yourself some fats! Add cheese to savory foods, butter to bread, have some chips and a load of guacamole, boom done. I typically have no trouble eating 2000 calories in the hour between when I get home from work and putting the kids to bed. You just need to eat more calorie dense foods, and cut out some of the lighter stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

pretty sure I maxed out on about 3500 during my peak training (not including intra-workout calories) during my last ironman season (even for half-irons, I peak at around 3000 a day)

Yeah, I exercise 45-60 minutes most days and usually go climbing for a few hours on Sunday (my new obsession) and I maintain around 2800-3000. I'm not training for anything, just general fitness riding and a little lifting and climbing.
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    mslotten77 wrote: »
    I just started a weight gain high calorie diet. And am scary thin. That being said I've learned a lot about high calorie shakes. At this point early in I'm not concerned too much about fats but. Fire up the blender, whole milk, Greek yogurt, bananas, blue berries, some oats, etc and you can add a lot of calories. Yesterday I did one that was a whopping 2000 calories

This is interesting. Nothing you listed in your "high calorie" shake would qualify as calorie dense. Where's the fat? I see lots of protein, some sugar, and high water content. I realize you're not the OP, but if I were you I'd consider using full-fat yogurt (not Greek style) and use little milk. Pound for pound that shake is not efficient for gaining weight.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My son is 16 and his calorie goal is around 3000 per day. He's an athlete and still growing...

He's a very slow eater and most of his favorite foods are some sort of fruit. Some days we get to 3K, and some days we don't... A pint of Ben & Jerry's is our go-to to push him to goal. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Nacho chips with cheese and guacamole. Steaks. Bacon. His body fat still hovers around 15% and his cholesterol is fine--he's going to be in trouble some day if he gives up the sports and continues to eat this way...
  • JPD00focus
    JPD00focus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    milk, protein powder and peanut butter. Cheese has a ton of calories.
  • bsurb
    bsurb Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's a lot of calories per day, are you a large person?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just got back on the discussion forgot all about it lol. I'm 5"9, 147 lbs currently. I am very active and have a very high metabolism. Eating 3,200 calories or more per day plus adding 3-4 heavy workouts a week would allow me to gain the pound every week. My goal weight is 165-170.

I'm eating a lot of pancakes/waffles, whole milk, cottage cheese, pasta, rice, chicken, turkey sandwiches, yogurt, peanut butter, whey protein, Jif bars. I eat a lot of this stuff daily.
  • bsurb
    bsurb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Any help is appreciated :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There is a Gaining weight section of the forum. Posting in there might help you as well.