Fear that I will regain

faji2015
faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone,
I am 21, 5'5and my current weight is 142 pounds. This was my intial goal when I started the journey from 176lbs. I look fine physically not fat nor to thin. The problem with me is that I don't know how to eat normally, not in a deficit. I eat everything with guilt like I am still on diet though I don't want to lose anymore. I still think I am super fat.This sometimes result in binge eating and I constantly feel that I am deprived of food. The underlying cause is that I fear that I will gain all of it back if I eat like people who are not dieting. I fuss over my weight to much. I still think I am fat and don't buy new clothes because i have impression that I will still appear in them like when I was 80 kgs. Please, help me how to get this psychological fear out.

Ps. I also need to stop as I just got diagnosed with clinical depression recently due to some other issues.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Do you have a therapist or someone you're working with for the depression? Sounds like your food issues would be a good topic of discussion at your next meeting if you do. If you don't, you may want to consider finding someone to help you with these issues also.

You shouldn't have had guilt from eating on your diet, nor should you in maintenance. Good luck to you.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Do you have a therapist or someone you're working with for the depression? Sounds like your food issues would be a good topic of discussion at your next meeting if you do. If you don't, you may want to consider finding someone to help you with these issues also.

You shouldn't have had guilt from eating on your diet, nor should you in maintenance. Good luck to you.

This.

Also hit the gym up and recomp yourself if you still arent happy at your goal weight.
  • faji2015

This.

Also hit the gym up and recomp yourself if you still arent happy at your goal weight.

I am currently on vacations at home from college for 3 months so I just do one hour walk on my home treadmill daily. When I will be back, I will start the gym again. Thank you

• faji2015

I just see my psychiatrist and I haven't told him about my food issues. We usually talk about the cause and he adjusts my medication after the check up monthly. But, next definitely I will tell him this :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Go out and buy one or two new outfits that fit. Just wearing the correct size can make you feel amazing.
  • jeanabepositive
    jeanabepositive Posts: 4 Member
    What Lizzy622 said, definitely. Dressing with clothes that fit do wonders. It can be the difference between me feeling comfortable/happy and having a good day and me thinking miserable unkind thoughts about myself.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    There must be lots of helpful topics in the Maintaining weight forum here. Many people keep logging for many years after reaching their goal weight. I intend to do that too.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Did you binge before you started this diet?
  • faji2015
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

No
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    faji2015 wrote: »
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

No

Unfortunately dieting can cause binge eating. I wish you all the best.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    That's such a shame. All your hard work and the brain is making you think like this. You should be enjoying your achievement and shouting it from the rooftops. Best way is to take everything you've learned and pay it forward. Be the example for others. Take the focus off you and put that energy into helping others. The less attention you give these thoughts and the more you focus on moving forward the better.

I hope you have a good support network around you.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    One thing I will say: it's really not uncommon to be 'afraid' of maintenance. I am and I actually don't think I have many body or food issues. It's just really hard to know how to maintain. When you are in deficit-mode, while your hungry, you have a mission and a goal and the caloric restriction often keeps you away from trigger foods. Once I lost weight (and I went 2-3 pounds too far), I struggled with getting my weight up those 2-3 lbs and then living so I didn't lose. I failed. I couldn't control my eating and I gained back 14 of the 16 lbs I had lost. So I am back at it now, in a deficit, and I'm going to try really hard to be a successful maintainer.

I don't have a plan for that yet so I probably need to spend much more time on the Maintenance board here to see what people are doing. For me, it's really a state of mind I need to be in.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Maybe a shift in focus would help. (Please don't substitute this for any professional advice).

Why did you decide to lose weight? You don't have to answer, just think about it. If you did it so others wouldn't think you are fat, it's not terrible, but what happens next? You mention that you don't look fat or thin physically. That's great. What about health? Perhaps you should shift your focus (if you haven't already) to what being at a healthier weight allows you to do. Many people lose weight for a variety of reasons, some good, some not so good. It's important to have a purpose to base your decisions on. Now that you've lost weight, there should be an overriding purpose to all of your decision-making. That purpose needs to be long-term, but your decisions should be day-to-day.