Stress eating...

...is an ISSUE for me. Any effective ways to stop? Recommendations please!!!!.....

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    There are many stress reduction tools and techniques online. Have you read any books or listened to any seminars about it?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    There are many stress reduction tools and techniques online. Have you read any books or listened to any seminars about it?

I have read books/articles and tried yoga, meditation, ample amount of exercise, coloring, crossword puzzles....

My job is super stressful plus I am a caregiver for a family member with mental illness. Food seems to be my go-to comfort. Anyone have any recommendations? The stress is unavoidable. I am hoping to find effective coping mechanisms -- other than ice cream.
  • anjackson1226
    anjackson1226 Posts: 9 Member
    I am a stress eater as well. I am still working on ways to handle th stress eating. One of the best things I have found is chewing on a piece of sugar free gum when I notice the cravings for food. It satisfies the "eating" mindset. I have also started a self-care journal. It basically is just a place for me to dump my thoughts. Be it just a word or two or a full page or more. It's just about finding the best outlet for you.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Try vaping with zero nicotine. They have all kinds of sweet dessert flavors and it gives your hand-to-mouth urges something to do.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    1) Exercise is a great stress reliever. I didn't plan on using it for that purpose; I was just trying to increase my deficit and give myself a bit of a safety cushion in case my guesstimates on food were off. But the truth is, I've become a LOT less stressed over the past few months.

2) When I plan my meals, I leave room for snacks. If I feel like I want something to nibble on, about 25% of my calories go for snacks. And the snacks are often things like a piece of string cheese, a measured out 30-gram portion of dry cereal, 2 cups of popcorn. I log before I eat. I measure (never take the whole cereal box into the other room with me; weigh out the 30 grams). I'm still a stress eater, but I'm a mindful one.

Between the logging and the exercise, I'm not saying that it's completely under control. If life throws me a major curve ball, I don't know what that'll do to my eating. But the usual day-to-day stresses? "Mischief managed."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    edited June 2017
    I understand. I ate for every reason. Stress, happiness, celebration, anger, frustration, loneliness, boredom. I also drank too much at times. When I was younger I smoked.

I think it's good to have a list of things to do instead of eating when you get stressed. Exercise, movies, hobbies that use your hands. It's how I stopped mindless eating and it's partly how and why I stopped drinking - I stayed busy. I prayed. It's a process of self-talk and catching myself before I start. Part of that is not having stuff around that triggers me to over eat.

Thing is, if hunger isn't the problem - food isn't the solution.