Breastfeeding

Options
Anyone know how accurate is the exercise for breastfeeding under cardiovascular training? I have a app that tracks how much time I spend breastfeeding/pumping per day and it has me burning over 1k calories a day, accurate?

Replies

• Getfit0720
    Getfit0720 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You burn 20 calories for every ounce you pump
  • stacybelen
    stacybelen Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did know that, thanks. But I'm also trying to track my newborns nursing. My bf app tracks the time I spend nursing too. So I log it, I enter it by time, not ounces
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've read many times that it burns about 500 calories a day. I'm not sure it's possible to measure this very accurately though.
  • agentace
    agentace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how you find the breastfeeding under the cardio training? I search, but nothing comes up. Sorry I can't help answer your question.
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how "newborn" your baby is, but as his or her stomach size increases, you will burn more and more calories, because s/he will eat more. The "20 calories an ounce" is a general rule of thumb, but I have found I lose weight way too quickly and my supply dips if I follow that. Your baby will drink roughly the same amount of milk from about two months old to six months (or when food is introduced). The caloric content will change based on baby's demands -- so your energy expended to make each ounce can vary. (Our bodies are amazing!) If you baby is within that time frame, you could be burning close to 1000 calories per day -- especially if you have a baby who loves to eat! :) I'd say try 750 calories and see how your weight loss goes. We all want to lose the baby weight, but you don't want to affect your supply. If you're losing half a pound or so a week, your calorie burn estimate is great. If it's much more than that, eat more!

agentace -- I log it under foods "nursing mother, breastfeeding." I didn't realize it was under cardio, but that would not be the best place to log it since it will not account for the additional fats/carbs/etc. that you are expending.

If you have more questions, send me a message. I missed my calling as a lactation consultant.
  • stacybelen
    Options
    My newborn is 2.5 weeks. He's nursing on average 2-3 hrs a day and in addition to that I'm pumping 10-20 oz a day. I have about 200 oz frozen already. Lack of supply fortunately has never been an issue for me ;). I decided to drop it down to 800 calories a day, that's probably more accurate.
  • Sixtine79
    Options
    @stacybelen when do you pump to freeze? I want to start doing the same for when I go back to work...
  • ElishevaLinietsky
    ElishevaLinietsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stacybelen, if you will be going back to work ease back on the pumping before or you could end up very uncomfortable if you will be unable to remove the milk for that level of productions.
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sixtine79, try pumping one side while your baby nurses on the other. You will be telling your body to make lots of milk (basically, you're doubling the demand). Pumping only removes about 60% of the milk, so you can put your baby on that boob after you pump to empty it.

It's awkward at first to juggle it, but once you get the hang of it, it is a huge time saver. Plus, your baby will trigger a letdown that will help you get milk out for the pump.

Best time of day for pumping is early morning. If you can't do baby and pump at the same time, then add a pump in after baby's morning feed. Consistently pump at the same time daily and your supply will gradually increase.

Good for you for getting on top of the pumping before your return to work! :)
  • Sixtine79
    Options
    @lovetolose17 thanks so much! I have a long maternity leave but I'd love to hit at least the 6 month mark with breastfeeding if I can...
  • stacybelen
    Options
    I started pumping the day I came home from the hospital. I'm kinda an overproducer lol. I have over 400 oz in my deep freezer already and my son is 8 wks tmw. I always pump right away in the morning, even after he eats and then I airways pump every 2-3 hrs if he doesn't nurse off both sides. I'll be pumping at work too in those same time periods and did the same w/my now 4 yr old. I was a donor for 10-12 babies w/her and plan on doing the same again. :)
  • Sixtine79
    Options
    @stacybelen kuddos to you for doing that, it's awesome!!!
  • stacybelen
    Options
    Thank you! As long as I maintain my supply ok once I go back to work, I have a friend that's due with twins that I'm hoping to be a long term donor for this time around. :)