spiralizer

2»

Replies

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    we have lots of foil packs on the grill or fire this time of year. I love either sweet potato or butternut squash spiraled w/ a bit of ham (or bacon) and a table spoon of bbq sauce. Maybe some sweet onions sliced thin. It cooks really fast when it's spiraled & tastes sooo yummy w/ bbq
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    I also throw spiral sweet potato raw into a green salad. it's kind of weird but I like the crunch

and I love zucchini spiraled w/ pesto! so easy & good
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    That recipe site looks great! As to the spiralizer, I've become more reluctant over the years to buy kitchen gadgets, because so many of them just end up unused in a drawer, or are more hassle than worth it. Who has one and is happy with it? What brand? Thanks!

I have a Paderno and love it. I use it just about every day.

Same. I've had mine for four years and bought four as gifts. If mine dies, I plan to buy the inspiralizer.
  • TravelingGuru
    TravelingGuru Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2017
    I use the Brieftons Spiralizer. Love it.

I spiralize almost any veggie. My favorites (besides zucchini) include beets, jicama, rutabaga, cucumbers, carrots (need big ones) and fennel. Also apples...

Yes, some of those could as easily be thin-sliced with a mandolin, but spiralizing (my opinion) makes them simpler to use in a variety of recipes. I never consider it a separate "side" dish; I always approach as either a "pasta" sort of dish, or a salad. Makes it easier for me to think of the options and ingredients.

I use so frequently that the family simply expects it now--no more pushback at starch-less meals.

FYI, I've found that sprializing two zucchinis, then putting them in a tightly packed storage container with a couple of paper towels on bottom, and leaving in fridge at least 3-4 days, the zoodles are much firmer with a LOT less water.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    inspiralized will send you one every day if you subscribe
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    I second the Inspiralized site. I use my spiralizers several times a week. I actually have 2 - the big counter top one and a new one I got at Costco - smaller, and I think it works even better. I think it's a kitchenaide? It's got a bowl, the part with the blades goes on top of that, and then there's a part with a handle that goes on top of that. For me it's easier to use and to clean, and there's less waste. The best part is I can do smaller things - radishes, carrots, that have to be a certain size before they work with the counter top model. The big one is still better if I'm doing several zucchini or beets or whatever because the bowl w/the smaller one fills up pretty quickly. Side benefit -the kids think it's fun to spiralize and will eat more veggies if they've spiraled them.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Ha! Got my husband to eat zucchini last night and he enjoyed it. I stilll haven't told him what it was as he has zucchini-phobia lol. Spiralized the zucchini, carrot and lo-bok and added it to our salads. Had the left overs tossed with meatballs and home made bbq sauce tonight instead of rice. Yummy!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for the info.All the recipes sound good .Have decided to make a few,cutting ingreds by hand,to see just how often I will eat it...before buying another counter sitter.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    I have a Paderno. My only complaint is that I can't get the track thingy (not the part that actually holds the veggie or crank) off to wash it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,876 Member
    I have a vertical feed spiralizer, after I broke my horizontal feed model trying to do butternut squash. I prefer the vertical feed which takes up less space and requires less physical effort because you use gravity. Also the vertical models create less waste. The horizontal models leave a pencil shaped waste product which is okay for cucumber but less ideal for courgette, carrot, and squash.

As a pasta replacement, I like mixing half spiralized courgette or squash. I would miss the texture of real pasta otherwise.

I also use the spiralizer for making slaws with carrots, granny smith apple, cucumber (widest setting). An asian dressing like those used for Som Tam are very low calorie and go well with this type of slaw. If you can afford the calories, a peanut dressing such as the type used on Gado Gado is nice. Google Som Tam and Gado Gado.

Another use is for potato chip cravings. I use to make oil free potato chips by slicing potatoes in the food processor and laying a salted single layer on silicon paper or mesh and microwaving 6-8 minutes. These continue to crisp up as they cool. Doing potatoes on the widest setting of the spiralizer allows me to increase the batch size.
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    I have attached a photo of a small simple one. I have not tried it yet.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BE77QL8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01BE77QL8&linkCode=as2&tag=inspiralized-20&linkId=ZO6UPWQNEG2UU3VC

"The Spiralizer" by Ali Maffucci Wow! This has really come way down in price since it came out. It's only $34.95 now on Amazon.
    There's also an Inspiralizer FB page that has some great recipes and tips and shares her cookbook ideas.

I've always meant to order hers but just haven't yet but at that price I really have no excuse not to now. :laugh: Has anyone ordered hers and not liked anything about it?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    scarla67 wrote: »
    I have attached a photo of a small simple one. I have not tried it yet.

Bought this a couple wks ago & returned it. For me,it’s easier to use a hand held peeler with teeth.Keep meaning to find a good,simple spiralizer,but so far...hasn’t happened.