Workout Buddies....a help or a hindrance

Options
I know that it has always been said that a workout buddy is an awesome way to stay focused as well as keep workouts fun and interesting. However, I have been experiencing the complete opposite.

I always try to encourage those around me to workout...@ least a few times a week. I even got a membership at a gym that allows me to bring a member every single day free of charge!! I have friends that will go for a while, then BOOM, they just stop:explode: . If that is not the case, when the do show up, they are ready to go before they have even burned a good amount of calories.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not benificial for me to workout with a friend, especially one who really does not want to workout!! If i had a friend that was super serious about being healthy and physically fit then it would have advantages.

Replies

• mindiejean
    mindiejean Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make new friends at the Jym that have the same goals you do!!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I know you want them to go and be healthy....but if they aren't ready, they aren't going to stick with it. Pushing them to do it will only push them farther away.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    personally I do better without a workout "buddy". I use a spotter when needed but otherwise I am a lone wolf!! :glasses:
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My experience with workout buddies is they help because they get me into the gym when I don't want to be there, but they slow me down once I get there. How i remedied this, is to meet AT THE GYM then if they leave I don't feel like I need too, I also choose to work out in different parts of the gym. One of my good friends and I used to always get eachother to the gym, but then we'd walk on the tredmill rather than run so that we could talk, so I think you just need to come to an arrangment with your buddies
  • Abbzzz
    Abbzzz Posts: 49
    Options
    I had a friend who wanted to go to the gym with me, so i joined a gym close to her and started going. After the third visit she would either cancel or sit beside me on a machine saying she couldn't be bothered and it made me give up because i felt like i was holding her up. So from then on i didn't care what other people wanted i decided i would work out alone and then i could only blame myself for making excuses!!!!
  • flyingv555
    flyingv555 Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree that it's not always the easiest thing to have a 'workout buddy'. I've found that they slow me down. Example: I want to haul *kitten* and walk 4 miles at a brisk pace and she wants to mosey around and talk about boyfriend troubles. Aggh! I've found it's best to rely on and motivate myself. I have much better results.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    They have to have the same or similar goals to you for it to work, if people tag along just to use a free fgym pass then it's not that beneficial to either of you. Personally I prefer to do my own thing, even though there may be loads of people working out. I feel less stressed about it and get far better results.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what their motivation and goals for going are. If you both have similar motivation and goals then it will help. I think you also probably need to be in similar condition physically so you are helping to challenge each other. I think if you are going to work out with someone you both need to be going for the right reasons.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yep, it depends ... I've never had success with finding a real life workout buddy, for the same reasons you and others have listed. I have teamed up with some great MFP workout buddies though! Although we aren't working out together in the same room or class or gym, it's still great knowing someone's out there working it with you.

Good luck, lady! :flowerforyou:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    In your picture you look quite fit. I don't know you or your friends, but could they be overwhelmed with your fitness level and get frustrated comparing themselves? I can't work out with my husband because he is so much more fit. I don't want to compare, but its in the back of my mind.
    I do much better when I exercise with someone much closer to the level I am at. Then we can encourage each other to keep going and improve. My adult daughter is a good workout buddy.
    Could your friends be at a very different fitness level than you?
  • Camilla00
    Camilla00 Posts: 16
    Options
    It's not that I try to force people into working out, but having some inspiration would make things so much easier. Getting off work @ 730am and trying to hit the gym can be sooo difficult. If there is just one coworker that says Going home and going to bed always seems so tempting!! "yeah, i'm heading to the gym too" then it motivates me to go also

Having a chatty person next to you can also be a distraction. I like to just put my headphones on and zone out.
  • Camilla00
    Options
    In your picture you look quite fit. I don't know you or your friends, but could they be overwhelmed with your fitness level and get frustrated comparing themselves? I can't work out with my husband because he is so much more fit. I don't want to compare, but its in the back of my mind.
    I do much better when I exercise with someone much closer to the level I am at. Then we can encourage each other to keep going and improve. My adult daughter is a good workout buddy.
    Could your friends be at a very different fitness level than you?

The fitness levels of my friends and I varies. I am not in the best shape, but i can crank out an hour of cardio easily on any given day. When i do wrkout with someone who may not be in the same fitness level, I do find myself adjusting to thier level @ times just so they do not feel overwhelmed.
  • Camilla00
    Options
    They have to have the same or similar goals to you for it to work, if people tag along just to use a free fgym pass then it's not that beneficial to either of you. Personally I prefer to do my own thing, even though there may be loads of people working out. I feel less stressed about it and get far better results.

Thats just it though. The individuals that have gone with me as a guest eventually signed up for their own membership. It seems that when they get their own is when they go the least...lol
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who think you may find support among those who are at the gym when you are. It may take awhile.
    We went to the same gym for a long time before people started being friendly. By friendly, at our gym, pretty much means a nod of recognition or a "how's it going/".
    When I was at Jazzercise the people there were much more likely to chat before and after class and go out for coffee after. It seems easier to strike up a chat while waiting for a class.
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I beleive with a workout buddy sometimes people start to depend on their companiship to get through their workout or routine, so then if they decide they not gonna work out, sometimes the other person will follow suite cause they dont wanna work out alone. I have workout buddy it staretd out with me my 2 best friends and my sister, then one of my friends stopped working out with us and that made me kinda upset