dr told me

Options
She told me not to eat cereal for breakfast, but have it for lunch instead. First meal should be protein, eggs for example. Cereal first thing in the morning bogs the system down and makes it feel sluggish. I found that since I did what she suggested, I have more energy.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. Meal timing and what time you eat certain foods has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Say what now?

I agree that heavy on the protein is the way to go with breakfast, it works much better than cereal by itself. I have eggs, apple, oatmeal and sausage most mornings.

This though...
    Cereal first thing in the morning bogs the system down and makes it feel sluggish.

That's a new one.

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Some cereals have a good amount of sugar, and that can leave you feeling sluggish in an hour or so...and still hungry. I don't find cereal filling. My kids eat it more as a snack than for breakfast. I have eggs every morning. You'll find what works for you!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Lots of different foods are suggested for breakfast based on the idea of a slow energy release or keeping you not hungry till lunch or whatever but there's no one answer, and if cereal does it for you then keep doing it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like eggs + vegetables for breakfast (which is not an especially high protein breakfast -- I usually add some dairy or smoked salmon to bump the protein) and don't like cold cereal at all, ever, for anything, but that advice from the doctor sounds goofy. Macros/nutrient profile similar to cereal and milk alone wouldn't work for me at lunch either. Not saying they wouldn't work for someone (I'm sure they do, just as some like that for breakfast), but then how can you generalize about eating it for lunch vs. breakfast?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OK fine. I got bored with having protein for breakfast every day for a year so I'm doing a month of carby breakfast, sticking to the man.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with chia and hemp with some fresh fruit is the way to go !:)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Red seedless grapes, topped with 2x protein fat-free Greek yogurt, with a granola bar crumbled on top.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me I was completely normal and refused to send me for blood tests despite me telling him I hadn't had a period for a few years (at age 32). Dr's know less about nutrition than they do about medical issues, so I personally wouldn't listen to their advice on diet.

But, do what works for you! I prefer to eat nothing in the am, but if I do eat early, I go for higher protein options too. Cereal doesn't satiate me in the slightest!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I still have cereal, but a also have some Greek yogurt with it to get some protein
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and cereal (bran) everyday for breakfast.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Say what now?

I agree that heavy on the protein is the way to go with breakfast, it works much better than cereal by itself. I have eggs, apple, oatmeal and sausage most mornings.

This though...
    Cereal first thing in the morning bogs the system down and makes it feel sluggish.

That's a new one.

I bet an all carb breakfast would bump blood sugar which would then fall rapidly, causing a sluggish feeling.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Say what now?

This though...

That's a new one.

I bet an all carb breakfast would bump blood sugar which would then fall rapidly, causing a sluggish feeling.

Depends on the person and the carbs. If I had lots of veg and fruit for breakfast it may or may not be satiating for as long as usual (haven't tried it without any additional protein), but it would not have any particular blood sugar effects for me. I've had just steel cut oats and berries for breakfast and it's fine, no energy issues, I'm not starving later. I prefer more protein and think it's best to have veg with breakfast (all meals, one of my personal rules), but the idea that this could not be satiating for someone or would necessarily ruin their energy is silly. However, if someone said "I always have this breakfast and I'm always tired 2 hours later" and you asked about sleep and stuff, changing up breakfast is a good idea. But presenting it as a general rule is wrong. And suggesting it's bad for breakfast but fine for lunch seems weird to me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The protein for breakfast recommendation isn't a bad one. Since most docs have little training in nutrition, their explanations are often not better than something you'd hear from a friend at work.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. Meal timing and what time you eat certain foods has nothing to do with weight loss.

It can have effects on satiation and thus on compliance though. If this works so the OP feels she has more energy, which was her point, no reason not to eat that way. I personally don't usually eat until late in the afternoon because any food in the morning will often make me feel sluggish.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing a long cycle ride then I have a huge bowl of breakfast cereal - because carbs = energy.
    Having more easily digested energy rich food doesn't make me feel sluggish or bogged down.

But without context of the OP's entire diet, activity and reaction to different macros then it falls back to - if it feels good then carry on.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

It can have effects on satiation and thus on compliance though. If this works so the OP feels she has more energy, which was her point, no reason not to eat that way. I personally don't usually eat until late in the afternoon because any food in the morning will often make me feel sluggish.

No reason not to eat that way, but the advice itself is goofy. The reasons for something are important, and this kind of thing is why people insist on MFP that others must eat cereal for lunch in order to lose or some such mangling. That cereal for breakfast (even if eaten with protein and fat) will inherently "bog you down" and should be avoided by anyone trying to lose or be healthy. They see it as some kind of weird universal rule that cereal is good for lunch, not breakfast, rather than understanding that maybe the issue was for them, personally, it's better, or, likely, that they were getting nothing but quick carbs for breakfast and cereal as a side at lunch (with other foods) would work better, for them.

Doctors really should be able to manage a better explanation. I judge.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I do eat a "high" protein b'fast (usually around 30+grams), b/c I've found it keeps me fuller longer. However, I do eat toast with b'fast when I plan to workout in the morning. Carbs=energy for gym. On the days that I don't workout in the AM, I have less carbs.

I also eat "higher" carbs at lunch, b/c I have usually already worked out. I tend to stick with slower digesting carbs for dinner (think veggies, fruit...carbs + fiber). I think your dr might have been referring to "carb timing," but might not have a solid understanding of the subject (I'm no expert either).