Weight loss while breastfeeding...help pls

Options
Hi!

So, I had a baby 10 weeks ago, I am breast feeding and I don't plan on stopping that! I started a low carb diet today and I am worried about my milk supply going away or decreasing. Does anyone have any advise or tips for low carb high fat diets while breast feeding?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just don't cut your calories too much, that can drop your supply. Eat at maintenance. Drink lots.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've always been told not to do low carb while breastfeeding, both you and baby need carbs. It's important to eat a well balanced diet where all macros and micros are included.

Anyways set mfp up to lose .5 lbs/week then add 500 calories for exclusively breastfeeding and that should be your total calorie goal to meet.

• Getfit0720
    Getfit0720 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do not do low carb while breast feeding. Babies need carbs for proper brain development.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Just don't. Figure out what your maintenance is and eat at that. Losing weight while nursing is not easy unless it's something that just "happens" to you. You will have plenty of time to lose weight. Enjoy your baby, enjoy your nursing relationship, enjoy the miracle that is sustaining your baby from you body. Genuinely... just wait for a few more months.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree that low carb and breastfeeding don't really go well together. If you are really set on lower carb, I would wait until baby has started solids, and gradually reduce carbs to a moderate level (not a very low level as I have heard it has the possibility of being dangerous for you, not worth it IMO). If you feel sick or weak at any time or notice your supply dipping, add more carbs and calories.