BCAAs

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
I know that BCAAs help with recovery post training, but are they really necessary if you don't suffer muscle soreness?

Confused.com

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that they helped with protein synthesis and so helped with muscle development.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that they helped with protein synthesis and so helped with muscle development.

Hmm you could be right.... but without them I don't seem to have trouble with muscle development either!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They are just seemingly the current fashion - for most people whey protein (which contain BCAAs + a load of other goodies...) would be a better choice.

No they aren't necessary at all. May be helpful for people doing fasted workouts, perhaps.
  • abs1970
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    They are just seemingly the current fashion - for most people whey protein (which contain BCAAs + a load of other goodies...) would be a better choice.

No they aren't necessary at all. May be helpful for people doing fasted workouts, perhaps.

That's just what I thought. It does seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment.

I have my whey protein daily which, as you said, already has BCAAs among other good stuff so didn't think it was necessary. I just keep reading about on IG and FB so wanted to ask the experts ;)
  • worrblade
    worrblade Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey help for all people and I sure hope none of you are doing fasted workouts! BCAAs should have a 2:1:1 ratio with that 2 being leucine! Leucine is the only amino acid that is known to stimulate protein synthesis (protein being used) on its own. This does NOT mean that using pure leucine is better, all studies show that 2:1:1 ratio works best. During the day you want to be able to spike protein synthesis as much as possible to get the most muscle growth out of your day and your workout. Drinking BCAAs and dextrose(or a fast digesting carbohydrate) at the end of a workout spikes this process. If BCAAs are also taken with a small amount of whey studies have also showed that it will boost ur BCAA plasma levels in the blood even fast .. aka better. BCAAs are great to day between meals, when you can't get a meal on time or around your workout. Is it better than protein??? At raising BCAA plasma levels fast and higher YES! And that reason is because the aminos are not branched together in a full protein like whey. Your scoop of whey might have 5 grams of BCAAs but they may or may not be branched to the other aminos at the molecular level. After all of that typing.. its a supplement and not needed. But if you want that extra 1% gain that might start to be noticeable after years of training go for it! I get cheap unflavored BCAAs
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My morning meal doesn't contain protein (bulletproof coffee and sometimes fruit) so getting amino energy cafe series (currently using caramel macchiato flavour mmm) and putting it in my bulletproof coffee is great for me to get some aminos into that meal... it can be a beneficial supp for these types of things
  • abs1970
    Options
    worrblade wrote: »
    Hey help for all people and I sure hope none of you are doing fasted workouts! BCAAs should have a 2:1:1 ratio with that 2 being leucine! Leucine is the only amino acid that is known to stimulate protein synthesis (protein being used) on its own. This does NOT mean that using pure leucine is better, all studies show that 2:1:1 ratio works best. During the day you want to be able to spike protein synthesis as much as possible to get the most muscle growth out of your day and your workout. Drinking BCAAs and dextrose(or a fast digesting carbohydrate) at the end of a workout spikes this process. If BCAAs are also taken with a small amount of whey studies have also showed that it will boost ur BCAA plasma levels in the blood even fast .. aka better. BCAAs are great to day between meals, when you can't get a meal on time or around your workout. Is it better than protein??? At raising BCAA plasma levels fast and higher YES! And that reason is because the aminos are not branched together in a full protein like whey. Your scoop of whey might have 5 grams of BCAAs but they may or may not be branched to the other aminos at the molecular level. After all of that typing.. its a supplement and not needed. But if you want that extra 1% gain that might start to be noticeable after years of training go for it! I get cheap unflavored BCAAs

Thank you - really informative! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    examine.com has very good write ups on all supplements - including BCAAs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

whats wrong with fasted workouts?
  • abs1970
    Options

Apart from being pretty damn hungry throughout, I'd like to know too!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Buying a jug of BCAA's with 90 servings @ around 50$ which will last me 3 months IF I take a serving a day doesn't seem that expensive to me. However I do take them differently from most. I put 1 scoop in a half gallon.

I do look at them like an expensive kool-aid and if I was in the position of having to budget my money, I would probably not buy them. You will always get that "waste of money" rant from people when everyone spends their money on something that is non-essential.

I also feel like there is a positive reinforcement thing with them. Having a good tasting drink while you workout. This is from my personal experience but a friend of mine who I work out with was just dragging one of the days he didn't have BCAA's (totally mental btw) I keep some raw BCAA's in my gym bag. Instead of giving him the good stuff I give him the raw form, which taste really bad FYI. He still was dragging.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Alan Aragon is a solid authority. And what he wrote agrees with the scientific research on Examine.com's page about BCAAs:
    ...BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAs. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g per kg of bodyweight a day or more)...

...BCAA supplementation is not necessary if enough BCAAs are provided through the diet...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    What a shame @worrblade didn't come back..
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Why was it a genuine question?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Why was it a genuine question?

Was what a genuine question?
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Don't know if it adds anything to the conversation but...

A. I used BCAA tabs a few months ago when doing body weight strength training on a calorie deficit.
    B. I've just started taking them again as am now doing slight calorie excess and weight training.

If I take them roughly 45min/1 hour prior to working out I get a definite energy 'boost' during routine. Noticeable both when i was in calorie deficit (about 600 cals a day less than current) and also now - especially after working out 2-3 months without them. *Last night i could seriously have gone on for hours.

Just my personal observation - no science was hurt in this experiment :-)
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

This
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

This

I too would like to know what's wrong with fasted workouts. I train first thing in the morning everyday fasted.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

This

Yes