whos reached their goal weight?? :)

Options
hi,
whos at their goal weight??
if u are do u find that u are still counting calories, im finding it hard to stop thinking of ways to cut calories and stuff its so weird not having to constantly eat the lowest cal option

-has/is anyone else experienceing this, if so how sis u change ur mindset???

Replies

• micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did, then reset the goal, now I am focusing more on body fat%.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    Ahk so u think u should just switch the focus onto something else
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont have a goal weight so much as a goal look.

to look like a fitness model..or jillian michaels..all buff and muscly
  • elly0001
    Options
    Yeah I guess it's good to have a health focus tho
  • Northantsman
    Options
    Still counting though not so religiously. More... monitoring them. But I am still eating healthily and going to the gym and all that good stuff. When I hit my first goal weight I set myself to lose another 7 pounds just to be on the safe side and leave me a cushioning range to bounce around within.
  • Sarahclarke82
    Sarahclarke82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm having your problem! I hit goal weight around a month ago and am finding it very difficult to eat my maintenance calories and to back away from the scale a bit!!!

I think the scales are going to be hidden away in a cupboard and a conscious effort to try and relax a little bit!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i dont see counting calories as just something you do to lose weight, its good to be aware of your calorie intake so you can make sure your not eating too little or too much
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal in March and have had some major struggles since then trying to find the right way to maintain. It took a lot of trial and error to find out what worked for me. I think that's key really, do you feel like you need to log? Can you trust your hunger signals and know you're ok to choose the right foods and the right portion sizes? Maybe give it a week and see how you do, just don't use it as an excuse to eat everything in your path!

I want to get away from logging religiously but i'm not quite there yet, but i've started to be less strict about the numbers and am trying focus on the exercise part! Muscles are sexy! lol

(oh and ditch the scales! Haven't weighed myself in agggges, if my clothes fit, i'm ok, if they get tight, I go back to a small deficit for a few weeks... simples!)
  • elly0001
    Options
    I'm having your problem! I hit goal weight around a month ago and am finding it very difficult to eat my maintenance calories and to back away from the scale a bit!!!

I think the scales are going to be hidden away in a cupboard and a conscious effort to try and relax a little bit!

i know its actually so hard to relax after counting for so long, i dont want to stop counting cos i want to be able to moniter it.
    are you forning urself to eat all ur maintenence calories??? -a am also finding it hard to eat all of mine.

god its just so hard after restricting for all this time to realise that i dont have to choose the lowest calorie option and that i can eat more calorie dense foods after cutting for so long! wish i could just go back to how i was before dieting-enjoying and being relaxed about foods lol
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    reached my goal in april, definitely not as strict with the calorie counting but i still do it. maintaining seems to just come naturally, havent changed in weight since april, except a few pounds here and there due to water weight. working on toning up now.
  • AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal yet ! :cry: But when I do I am going to focus on excercise and building more muscle.

As far as food goes I imagine I will think of calories as blocks of 500 Kcal or something

I know I can have 4 or 5 'blocks' per day and just count them loosely throught the day. So 500 for breakfast, 500 lunch, if i have a large meal out maybe count 2 blocks for it etc.
  • Sarahclarke82
    Sarahclarke82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

i know its actually so hard to relax after counting for so long, i dont want to stop counting cos i want to be able to moniter it.
    are you forning urself to eat all ur maintenence calories??? -a am also finding it hard to eat all of mine.

god its just so hard after restricting for all this time to realise that i dont have to choose the lowest calorie option and that i can eat more calorie dense foods after cutting for so long! wish i could just go back to how i was before dieting-enjoying and being relaxed about foods lol

I'm not forcing myself, no, just trying to have maybe an extra piece of fruit at work and a slightly larger portion of food at night. I'm getting there gradually but often have a 100 - 200 cal deficit :s
    I know that if I think oo, i've got calories left I'll end up having some chocolate or something naughty which is what got me here in the 1st place!!
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i am maintaining but i ain't counting. BUT i do weigh every single day! i also zig zag my calories, some days i eat little and some days i sort of binge/pick at everything. i have worked out i can have 4 "off days" a week where i can eat what ever i set my eyes on. burgers, cakes, butter, chinese etc. as long as i am careful the other 3 (stick to 3 meals NO SNACKS) i tend to maintain i have also found, i can now eat more now than before. i think my metabolism is throught the roof due to increased exercise extra muscle tone etc. when i was fat i was only eating 1 meal a day!!
  • elly0001
    Options
    after cutting calories for so long has anyone else found that they feel like theyre wasting calories now that u can eat more? lol i guess its just trial and error, everything in moderation till i start maintaining or something but yeah finding it hard to eat all my maintence calories! :S
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    Still counting though not so religiously. More... monitoring them. But I am still eating healthily and going to the gym and all that good stuff. When I hit my first goal weight I set myself to lose another 7 pounds just to be on the safe side and leave me a cushioning range to bounce around within.

Ditto.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    after cutting calories for so long has anyone else found that they feel like theyre wasting calories now that u can eat more? lol i guess its just trial and error, everything in moderation till i start maintaining or something but yeah finding it hard to eat all my maintence calories! :S

It's taking much more planning. It's almost like starting MFP--I had to really think about fitting the calorie goal. Now I'm so attuned to that 1400 or so a day that I keep hitting the end of the day with calories left over. I'm sure the new goals will become habits as well, but it will take some time, just as it did in the beginning of the diet.
  • elly0001
    Options

It's taking much more planning. It's almost like starting MFP--I had to really think about fitting the calorie goal. Now I'm so attuned to that 1400 or so a day that I keep hitting the end of the day with calories left over. I'm sure the new goals will become habits as well, but it will take some time, just as it did in the beginning of the diet.

i keep getting to the end of the day and not be hungry but still have calories left over as well -i thought that when i reached this point i would be able to just use them up on somehting like an icecream or something i used to enjoy before dieting instead now im so used to cutting that i feel weird about using them up cos like this whole time its been like dont eat when ur not hungry lol maintaining is definitly harder than loosing!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

For me, my focus is on body fat now. I have hit my initial goal of 12% body fat, now I am aiming for 8%. Keep in mind, at your maintenence phase, you are supposed to eat more. The best way to figure it out is figuring out your BMR; below are two links to help you understand.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Once you figure that out and just understand foods in general, you should be able to judge. I know i can.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm where I want to be. I don't log quite as strictly as before, but enough to keep me where I am at. I have no problems eating maintenance cals, as I was riding a very small deficit to begin with to get to where I am anyways.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am still 7 pounds from goal but have upped my calories to lose 0.5 pounds/week, which only puts me at a 250 calorie/day deficit. I am hoping that adding those extra 250 calories in when I go to maintenance won't be too much of a problem, rather than having to suddenly add 500 a day, which is like an extra meal.

I can see the point of whoever before me said that maintenance is like starting MFP over again. I have a feeling when maintenance comes it will be a struggle to get into the groove of not losing and not gaining.

Another question for maintainers: Do you allow yourself say a 5 pound swing or so? For example, my goal weight is 145 but I am wondering if I should go to 140 then maintenance keep myself between 140-145. Man, maintenance seems more confusing than weight loss. :grumble: