Intermittent Fasting

Options
Height: 5ft 9
Weight 14stone4

Hi Guys, Just wondering if any of you have any experience of IF and if so any advice. I am currently 3 weeks in and I have been restricting eating between 6pm-10pm monday to friday and then on the weekends eating a little over my daily allowance. So far I have lost 14 pound. Based on my recent weightloss would if be reasonable to set myself the target of a further 14pounds over the next 28 days.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by consistently reducing calorie intake. Intermittent fasting is just a meal schedule, or several meal schedules. A good meal schedule can make it easier for you to eat less. You still have to eat less.

1% of your total body weight per week is a good loss.
  • mastdog
    mastdog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think when I schedule several meals in the temptation to overeat or add ina snack is too much for me so with IF I can just definitively say no im not going to eat during this window reducing the opportunity to binge.

I dont seem to be able to get beneath my daily sugar limit though hmmm
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I too feel IF is "tidy" - it just makes it easier for me to say "no".

I don't think you have to worry about sugar at all. Or has your doctor told you to monitor sugar? If you eat a balanced and varied diet made up on mostly real, whole foods, you'll be eating healthily. Sugar is in itself not unhealthy. Eating too much/too little and/or unbalanced, is unhealthy.
  • mastdog
    Options
    naa its not something I ever thought about until I started tracking what I was actually eating. One of my main struggles with IF is a lack of fibre so I think I will probably supplement that in.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    How does your meal schedule interfere with fiber intake? Try to eat more whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
  • mastdog
    Options
    Limits as most of my intake would usually be during breakfast and I am a very fussy eater
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am trying it now. I am doing a 16:8 day in the hopes it helps my diabetes and I lose weight. I have just started, so only time will tell. So far my blood sugar has remained on the lower side for me.
  • mastdog
    Options
    how are you finding it? Are you doing any exercise aswell
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    mastdog wrote: »
    Limits as most of my intake would usually be during breakfast and I am a very fussy eater

You can eat anything you like for breakfast. Don't you like fruit, vegs and whole grains? Or is it something else that makes you not get in enough fiber? Or is your fiber goal set too high? How much fiber are you getting in on average per day?
  • mastdog
    Options
    For example yesterday I actually consumed 0 grams of fiber and today I will be having 9grams. I had a little veg yesterday no grains though. I only really eat apples and grapes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Weight 14stone4

Hi Guys, Just wondering if any of you have any experience of IF and if so any advice. I am currently 3 weeks in and I have been restricting eating between 6pm-10pm monday to friday and then on the weekends eating a little over my daily allowance. So far I have lost 14 pound. Based on my recent weightloss would if be reasonable to set myself the target of a further 14pounds over the next 28 days.

That's dreadfully rapid weight loss.
    The first few pounds are mostly water and less food in your system but that is far too quick when you don't have much to lose. Next 14 pounds over 14 WEEKS would be more sensible.
    IF is an eating pattern - doesn't mean you have to go ultra low calories which could be counter productive.
    Why have you chosen such a short eating window? If it's impacting your ability to actually eat enough or eat the foods you like (or need) then clearly it's not a good idea.

My experience of IF:
    Lost weight steadily (and sensibly!) following the 5:2 IF protocol. I'm same height and started at roughly the same weight.
    Tried 16:8 but found it needlessly restrictive although I'm someone who can easily skip breakfast without being any more or less hungry.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    If you are concerned about fiber intake, make sure the database entries you use, are correct. There is fiber in all vegetables. Apples and grapes is nice. If you want to, you can find ways to incorporate more fibery foods. You'll have to push yourself a bit, but there are so many delicious things that are also healthy, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Can you cook, will you learn, or do you know someone who can cook?
  • mastdog
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Weight 14stone4

That's dreadfully rapid weight loss.
    The first few pounds are mostly water and less food in your system but that is far too quick when you don't have much to lose. Next 14 pounds over 14 WEEKS would be more sensible.
    IF is an eating pattern - doesn't mean you have to go ultra low calories which could be counter productive.
    Why have you chosen such a short eating window? If it's impacting your ability to actually eat enough or eat the foods you like (or need) then clearly it's not a good idea.

My experience of IF:
    Lost weight steadily (and sensibly!) following the 5:2 IF protocol. I'm same height and started at roughly the same weight.
    Tried 16:8 but found it needlessly restrictive although I'm someone who can easily skip breakfast without being any more or less hungry.

Hi, thanks for your response. I was sitting at 15stone4 this time last month which is the heaviest Ive ever been and I dont intend to ever go back to that. I can appreciate that a lot of this won't be fat loss but there has been a noticeable difference in my physique. The number on the scale is just a pleasant bonus at this early stage

With regards to what I am eating. I very much eat to the same kind of weekly routine, so each day I will have a dish consisting of mince/steak/chicken/fish and that never really changes. The only thing that has changed is I no longer have lunch which would have been a sandwich and a few snacks. At night I am now having the same meal but a slightly larger portion and a chocolatey snack
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's far, far easier to maintain muscle rather than lose it and have to rebuild it....