Following slimming world but also calorie counting.

Options
Does anyone follow slimming world but also had the occasional day when they calorie count. I think sometimes slimming world is very restrictive when it comes to eating certain food. I would still like to eat cheese, milk other foods if they are within my calorie allowance and would probably mean that i could stick to it in the longer-term.

Replies

• galley0730
    galley0730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that! I mainly rely on calorie counting for my food (it's been a great habit to get into!), but because I know I'm not terribly disciplined when left to my own devices, the weekly weigh in helps me to stay on track. I also feel like calorie counting is sustainable long term, even though I do follow many sw principles to guide my choices.
    It's working for me, and since I started logging, rather than strictly following sw, I'm losing more in a week than I was before. I also feel like I'm eating more, which is weird! I still use the 1/3 speed veg on my plate idea, and try and have fruit to snack on where possible, but my variety is a bit better with counting, and I'm including more things that I was restricting when just following sw. 2 stones down so far, so I'll keep doing it this way! Good luck!
  • learntolovetheburn15
    learntolovetheburn15 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, well done with your weightloss :)
  • mango_ice_cream
    mango_ice_cream Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been at slimming world since last July until September ish-I lost 2 stone and thought I could do it alone, stopped going and gained 9lbs!!
    I've been back at SW since March this year and lost 16lbs (it's coming off soooo slowly this time round), and have decided to start calorie counting. I too need the terror of the weekly weigh in (and love the hi fi bars) but feel it's not teaching me good habits for when I reach target (unlimited fruit, veg, pasta, rice etc) so I'm here. It's so nice to have cheese if I want to without working out whether to syn it or Hex a it
  • mango_ice_cream
    mango_ice_cream Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've got weigh in tomorrow so we'll see how calorie counting went
  • cindyj568
    cindyj568 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I 'm doing this as well. Slimming world works for me and I lose weight. However I still eat a lot which now feels like too much. Therefore I eat SW friendly but log it all on MFP so I can start to understand portion sizes. I started in December and have now lost over 3 stone and feel in control of my eating.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Slimming world was awful for me, the idea that there were free foods led me to eat way bigger portion sizes than I should have been, it completely messed up my eating habits - I was only about 1/2 stone overweight when I started slimming world, I went on to gain almost three stone after I stopped going because my portion sizes were out of control. Calorie counting and watching my macros is helping me understand healthier eating and correct portion sizes.
  • galley0730
    galley0730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slimming world was awful for me, the idea that there were free foods led me to eat way bigger portion sizes than I should have been, it completely messed up my eating habits - I was only about 1/2 stone overweight when I started slimming world, I went on to gain almost three stone after I stopped going because my portion sizes were out of control. Calorie counting and watching my macros is helping me understand healthier eating and correct portion sizes.

Wow...did you talk this through with your consultant? Mine is quite good about telling us that 'free' does not mean unlimited...the bulk of your plate should be speed veg/fruit, so that the portion of carb/protein becomes automatically smaller. This is the principle I still adhere to...i always plate my fruit or veg first, then add the other bits. Also, we are encouraged to eat enough to satisfy our hunger, but no more. It's a really common misconception that you can eat a plateful of pasta or rice in unlimited quantities!