Forgetting I'm Fat

Options
Has anyone here ever forgotten how big/overweight they are? I didn't realized how much weight I've gained until I saw a photo of myself from the weekend. Looking in the mirror everyday, I thought I was okay.

Has anyone found taking photos of themselves on a consistent basis to be a good motivator/self check for weight loss?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the photo thing is a good idea, and also helps you see how much progress you'd made, which can similarly be easy not to see in the mirror for many of us.

And yeah, I realized how much I'd gained back in the day from a photo (two rather unfortunate photos). I mean, I knew, but it really made it real to me and helped me not think "eh, it's not really that bad" despite my increasing clothing size.
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Like the above mentioned, photos are great to keep around for reference or to test your curiosity with respect to weight gain. I got in the habit of estimating my weight when I wake up and before I go to sleep but to be fair, I weight myself almost daily, not for any reason other than curiosity
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Our mental images of ourselves are more than just our physical appearances. That's actually a really good thing. That said, photographs have a way of preventing our self-deception about our weight (both high and low).

I'm glad I started taking pictures of myself, it gives a nice record of my progress now.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I take pictures every week for progress reasons. I can't tell a bit of difference between them when looking at them some days & other days, I'm like yeah, that definitely a difference. I keep taking the pics though because I know at one point, I will want to be able to show all of the progress that I've made to myself so I never forget.
    I will never show them on this page though. Well at least not until I'm half way to my goals.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I actually set up an Instagram account for monthly progress pics. Once a month. I remember that when I was bigger I didn't feel like I was but good god, looking at the pictures...
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep I too didn't realize until I was looking at a picture... I should start taking weekly pix what a great idea fireturtle75

Paulawalladingdong: I wish my boobs would get smaller! I dropped a band size so far but it made my cup size go up because my boobs stayed the same size... If it happens again I'll have to custom order as I'm in the largest cup carried by Lane Bryant right now... I can barely afford the current bra prices... One cup up and I'm looking at well over 100 per bra... Ouch. Consider yourself blessed in that
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great question @fitpeawing. As long as I don't obsess over them too much, my progress pictures have been helpful as a reality check.

I've been concerned about rest and nutrients too, and I can see the results of these factors much better in photos vs. the mirror.
  • FlissFloss78
    FlissFloss78 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Paschen81
    In the UK we have a huge selection of bras for big boobs! Depending on your band size, up to a 42 (in uk sizing) try www.brastop.com for cheaper branded bras. Personally I love the Debenhams 'Gorgeous' range. I'm a 36H if that helps?!
    Picture wise I have the same issue, I feel better in myself until I see a photo! I try to take a photo each time I weigh in. I see my face isn't as bloated as it was. But that's about it! Lol
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Photos are a great motivator. Last Summer we went hiking as a family and there was a picture of me that found its way online. I hadn't realized how far off track I was or how much I gained until I saw that picture. It motivated me to jump on the scale and start taking my health back.
  • fitpeawing
    fitpeawing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys! Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts. I felt quite alone for some time and wasn't sure how I felt about this. You're all amazing! I might start my own album to keep track.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I take a daily pic to track my progress with weight loss. Days when I don't feel like working out and stAying on track, I look back and my butt practically gets off the couch itself and drags me to the gym. I remember how worth it this is and how good I feel. Another huge confidence booster is when people that don't see you all the time drops their mouth when they see you.

As for seeing pics from before starting this I just feel sad. I feel sad that I let it get to where it did. My saggy skin is also a constant reminder. I look back at my kids growing up and wish I was working at it then because now I have so much more energy. I wonder why I couldn't just "destroy the excuses" before. The positive about seeing old pics is knowing I don't ever want to go back and I know how easy it is so I have to keep my head straight.

One of my favorite things in the my life is feeling accomplishment and success. Use the photos to track yours.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    A couple of unflattering pics on Facebook woke me up.

I try to take progress pics every 5 lbs now.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I forget till I see a mirror. Then I remember!
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite where when I see myself in pictures or videos now I'm surprised at how thin I look. When I look in the mirror or picture myself in my head I see myself as 1 or 2 sizes larger than what I see in pictures. I'm assuming that my brain just hasn't caught up yet.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am constantly surprised when I see a photo. Somehow, I always think I am slimmer than I am...even a mirror doesn't really show my brain what my body looks like. I see other women my size and I'm just SURE I'm not that big. I did take "before" shots. I was frankly horrified. I try to remember to look at them weekly and plan on taking one every 20 lbs.

I think, had I had photos before to remind me of what I really looked like, I might not have regained most of the 100 lbs I lost 10 years ago.