CHEAT DAYS?

Options

Replies

• FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Would you cheat on your partner once a week? Then why cheat yourself out of good health? Find healthy alternatives that last a lifetime.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    FinFoxPT wrote: »
    Would you cheat on your partner once a week? Then why cheat yourself out of good health? Find healthy alternatives that last a lifetime.

or eat food you enjoy that fits your calories and macros...
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I fit treats into my calorie goal regularly.

On holidays (<1 a month), I don't log. But I don't go all hog wild either. It's more of a mental break from logging than permission to eat everything under the sun.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Structured re-feeds, diet breaks & free meals = YES
    Cheat days = NO

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I have 4-5K cal days but they're usually planned every few months (like Ribfest coming up for me in july lol). If I have a day that I overeat and it's not planned it's usually to the tune of 2500 cals and my TDEE is about 2200-2400 depending so I'm not too worried if that happens every few weeks.

ETA: I still log and track everything I eat to the best of my ability so at least I have good data :)
  • inertiastrength
    Options

What is a healthy alternative to cheating on your spouse? Asking for a friend
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with cheat days because for me I have been learning moderation, for example, I was craving a chocolate bar yesterday so bought a Big Turk, ate half of it after supper for dessert, then the other half will be tonight after supper. So my point is I allow myself to eat whatever I want BUT in small portions and spread out thru the week, etc.

To me I have to look at the rest of my life after I hit my goal, can I eat like this to maintain and yes I can. To me cheat days sounds too "diety" if that makes sense.
  • tooy1234
    tooy1234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I honestly think a cheat day is good for you. It shocks your body.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    tooy1234 wrote: »
    I honestly think a cheat day is good for you. It shocks your body.

In what way?
  • BusyMomaNJ
    BusyMomaNJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that "treat" should not equal "cheat". I plan accordingly during the week . On most weekends I try to stay light on breakfast & lunch, knowing I'm going to "indulge" in dessert, something high calorie because we are eating out, and most likely a cocktail. I exercise 5-6 times weekly to give myself extra calories to "play with." I feel like I have to life my life and not make food into the focus. During the week I eat fairly clean - nothing processed and lots of whole grains, veggies, fruit & lean proteins.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I previously lost a lot of weight on a very restrictive diet, in which I had one "cheat" a week. Once I hit my goals I wasn't able to maintain long term and ended up putting on more weight. The "cheat meal" wasn't the only problem with how I did it this time, but it was part of the mentality of restriction, and reward/deprivation that made this not work for me long term. So I am trying to do it more sustainably this time round!

Now, I don't "cheat", when I feel like it or for a special or tricky occasion I eat what I want, and get back to plan the next day. E.g. this week we had friends in town, we ordered in Chinese food, and drank wine and hung out one evening and it was grand. I still log my this food, mostly out of curiosity. So far I've never been too far above maintenance even while doing this. But I don't consider it cheating, just life. Sometimes it happens twice in a week, sometimes it happens once in a month. I am still losing weight and I don't feel like a crazy person, win!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    1 "cheat day" a week and I would diet all week just to maintain my weight.
    If I did 2 "cheat days" a week I'd be gaining weight.....
    So no, I don't do cheat days.

If I want to have a higher calorie day I'll do maintenance or shoot to be no more than 500 calories over maintenance, which actually takes some restraint and tracking. If I went all out I'd easily eat 4000+ calories and feel like crud for several days after.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    1 cheat day a week = 6 torture days a week without meeting your goals. Why eat so little six days a week just to blow it all on one day? Just don't do it. Instead, eat a sustainable amount of calories, if you need more, exercise more. It's that simple. That way you don't NEED to cheat because you're already eating the things you like. Sure, you might have to learn to cook a little healthier (ie: lower calorie), and you might have to choose a healthier option over a not so healthy option on a menu in a restaurant from time to time, but if you do, you won't need to cheat. Even if you managed to lose the weight and reach your goals, cheating will make it take 10x as long, and once you do, you'll find yourself gaining back all the weight you lost in a very short period of time because then every day will be a cheat day. Think of it as a new lifestyle rather than a diet you do once and forget about.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    1 cheat day a week = 6 torture days a week without meeting your goals. Why eat so little six days a week just to blow it all on one day?

Because sometimes a meal at your favourite restaurant is your whole day's worth of calories and you refuse to live without it for the rest of your life?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i did while losing 100 pounds. Once a week I would go on date night to a special restaurant and have whatever I wanted, including appetizers, a few drinks and even dessert. it didnt fit my macros and didnt gaf. Now at maintenance for over 3 years, I still go out once a week and let loose. I dont count calories and still dont gaf. I happen to think that it keeps me on track knowing I can have those things that for me typically dont fit in everyday. You have to find what works for you. I also dont call it cheating, I call it eating.
  • prdrivas
    prdrivas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do them once a week although I refer to it as a free day, not cheat day. They work great for me. I've been in control of my weight for two and a half years. Yes, I do a lot of cardio. I also lift. I do them because moderation never worked for me. It's nice if you can do it, but for me, the structure needs to be different. I also don't track calories on the free day. While I do track during the week, I'm not that accurate. The scale and my body fat percentage tell me when I need to adjust.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do planned refeeds. This aligns with my fat loss and is planned based on my training days. A refeed is good for the body, but is also not an all out binge fest. It should be done strategically and with a plan. I will occasionally do an "off plan" meal for a night out with my husband, but even then I try not to go all out binge fest. These things fit into a normal life... usual nutrition with goals in mind. Think less of a "diet" and more lifestyle... big picture.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

What is a healthy alternative to cheating on your spouse? Asking for a friend

Um... getting your partner in on the action, perhaps?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    xPia wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I don't get the whole cheat meal thing. If it fits in the calories for the day and you want it why not eat it? Looking at eating something as cheating in my mind associates guilt. I realize everyone is different. I hope you find what works for you!

This, exactly.

If I want something and it fits within my calories I'll eat it. No "cheating" required.

But what happens if it doesn't fit?

I run into this problem a lot with foods I enjoy. You can't buy "just a slice" of pizza with extra cheese and meatball, or "just a quarter" of a calzone with eggplant and spinach. At least not near me. A lot of the foods I crave come in big sizes. Something I've found that I will do a lot is go ahead and buy it, then throw out the rest when I've had my fill. It's a terrible waste of money but it saves me from myself.

This includes things like almond butter that are 2,000 kcals per jar. It's too easy for me to go over board with just a spoon.

If there was someone around to share the food with, that would be optimal. But there is not, so I end up playing this game of "will power" vs "throw it away" to save myself from eating 3 people's worth of food.
  • mlp111206
    mlp111206 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days but I do not track at all on holidays or my birthday. Those are my free days to not worry about what fits and what doesn't. As Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, there is no way I'd pass on all that deliciousness just because it didn't fit in my caloric goal