How do you stay on the wagon of fitness?

Options
I believe that the biggest battle that I have had in my life has been with myself. I am lucky that I enjoy walking, running, and I have just started boxing. However, I never seem to be able to commit for the long term. As soon as my new fitness wagon gets a bump on the road, I fall off the wagon once again. What tricks or strategies do you use to stay on the fitness wagon, and what strategies do you use to get back on to the wagon faster?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Two biggest factors for me:
    Enjoyment of the exercise itself.
    Challenge (I'm very competitive and self-competitive).

Enjoyment of the results of my exercise also gets me through those days / workouts when sometimes I'm pushed for time, feeling lazy, not really in the mood.....
    The feeling of living in a healthy / fit / strong body is priceless and well worth the "sacrifice" of sometimes having to force yourself.

For the fun exercise my only strategy is making sure I plan and allocate the time.
    For the not so fun exercise regarding it as "training" not exercise gets me though.
    (Training has a definite purpose, goal and outcome.)
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in the same place right now. I've lost 37lbs so far, but It's been in the last month and a half that I focused on losing the remaining 14 pounds. I'm doing well- but I'm weary and tired of going to the gym 5 days a week, of measuring and recording what im eating daily. I like working out, but I'm going to go easier on myself: and scale it back to 3 days. I know no food is good or bad- but I've been craving donuts for a while now, but been holding off. I bought one today not two or three. Just be nice to yourself. Rest if you have to, but you can't stop there. Do what you can, it doesn't have to be perfect, but something is always better than nothing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It takes time to form lasting habits. It takes at least 3 weeks I've read to form new habits - pick an activity you most enjoy and commit to doing it every day for at least 3 weeks. You'll feel so good about yourself you'll want to continue to keep doing it. At least that's what I found when I started working out in the mornings back in 2013 - I still workout every single week day morning without fail. Just do it :smile:
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight and I finally figured out at the age of 47 that the ONLY way I can enjoy some of the higher fat foods I like to indulge in, is to get my butt in the gym! It took me joining a work-sponsored exercise program called The Biggest Winner to jump start my fitness path. That was in Jan. 2016. We got a free 12-week membership to a super-awesome gym. After the program ended, I decided to stay on at the gym and pay the dues. I then joined a small exercise group called N.E.W. U, and that is where I fell in love with exercise. I am a 6 day a week exerciser, but I do lots of different things. I take Les Milles classes like Body Flow and Body Pump, water aerobics, Barre 3, etc. Sometimes I go twice in a day! For me, it's self-accountability, but it's also accountability to my work-out groups. In N.E.W. U, I meet with the trainer personally once a month to weigh and measure and just talk. It's a tremendous help to keep me on my fitness path. I have lost 75 lbs from my highest weight ever, which I had hit in 2007. I have lost 50 lbs since Jan. 2016. Good luck to you! Feel free to friend request me! I will always try to encourage you, if you will encourage me! :)
  • avagrace44
    avagrace44 Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It really is about finding something you love, right now for me it is boxing. There are days where it's hard to get started, but then I remember the feeling of how good I feel and the satisfaction after having done it. I like feeling stronger, more fit, having energy etc. I know each time I do it brings me closer to my goal of a leaner, fitter me. I do a variety of exercise as well so I don't get stuck in a rut. Some days you may go lighter, as long as your moving your body you are benefiting. I normally alternate boxing with strength training days and the other day I wasn't in the mood for either, so I just went for a long walk and enjoyed the sun/scenery. Next day I was right back at it.

If I may confess, I also periodically google success stories showing weight loss/improved muscular definition. It reminds me that my goal is achievable. They all did it, it challenges me to get there as well. Yes, it's a marathon, not a sprint," and when I get there I want to stay there.

Regardless, if we are trying to lose weight or gain lean muscular definition, what we are doing isn't temporary. It's a healthy lifestyle change that we have to maintain "for life." It's not just about appearance, but overall quality of life (bone density, strong core/posture, lean muscle, etc.). Every year we get older. If you look at some of the elderly around you, some living life/vibrant and some not so much (walker, bent over etc.) Which would you rather? Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. It's just the most important thing that keeps me going because it really does come down to the future "quality of life" for me.

You can also find a fitness buddy/buddies, the ones you can depend on to drag you and vice versa. If you are competitive like me, they will help you be consistent. You'll want to keep up with them, achieve what they have and surpass them. Find your motivation and keep finding it, whatever it takes. You are so worth it.
  • matthewgeraldfrench123
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I will try and put in a seat belt on the wagon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Most of my fitness activities are recreational activities that I just enjoy doing. I cycle quite a bit...I love riding bikes and missing a ride because life happens is frustrating, so I have no problems jumping on the bike the next day.

I also like hiking and I'm a novice climber once per week at my local climbing gym.

Weight lifting is really the only exercise I do where I sometimes just have to will myself to go because it's important...I actually like it for the most part, I just don't like it as much as I like riding or hiking or climbing. Sometimes I'm pretty meh about getting into the weight room...I very rarely feel that way about my bike.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    "make your next decision a good one"
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running. If I power through and make myself get up at 4:30 AM I never regret it. If I skip it I always regret it.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this a lot until one day I just decided that I was going to work out at least 5x a week every week for the rest of my life (or for as long as I'm able) and I might as well just get over it. I made working out a requirement - like going to work everyday - and stopped viewing it as something I could choose not to do.

I do exercises I enjoy also so I look forward to working out, but I find I get bored eventually and there are definitely days I don't want to work out at all. Days I don't want to do it - I just power through. When boredom strikes I know it's time to change my routine.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You need to find things you enjoy to do that keep you active but you don't consider working out. Hiking, Mountain Biking, Rock climbing. Always change it up and you won't need the gym or motivation.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I found CrossFit. I know that some love it and some hate it, but I have been at it for two years and I'm still just as motivated as when I started.

What's the workout for today? (It's always different). I wonder if I can lift more weight today. I wonder if I can do a "fill in the blank" today. There's always something to look forward to in the fitness journey. It's all measurable and it's easy to see how far you've come but also how much farther you want to go.

And the community - if I miss a workout, people will notice and will ask where I am.

And the friendly competitions...

On another note, I keep a wall calendar and give myself a check mark in sharpie when I work out. If I miss two days in a row, I write why on the calendar. I don't want to write silly excuses like "I'm sore" or "I'm tired," so I generally just get up and go. Vacation is acceptable. Injury/illness is acceptable. "I didn't feel like it" is not acceptable. It seems silly, but it's definitely motivating. I like to see a month of check marks and no big gaps.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I set monthly or quarterly challenges and then I tell everyone I know that I'll accomplish the challenge, crush the goal. The thought of being a failure is worse than the thought of falling off the wagon. I've signed up for a body building competition in November and I am prepping now. I invited everyone I know to come and watch the show and see me win. How's that for staying motivated? haha
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    For me I always find a challenge for myself, and a realistic, obtainable goal. I lost 50 pounds, so then focused on 100. Then decided to do p90x , then ran a 5k , then half marathon, then full marathon, then got into ocr racing ...now focusing on a Spartan trifecta and the worlds toughest mudder as well as building muscle
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Consider it a lifestyle change, not a program you have to force yourself to commit to.

I find its been easier since being logged in to MFP. Efforts I've made in the past have always been very short term.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have goals. I sign up for powerlifting meets, take breaks and work on physique. I want to be strong and hot. I only miss a workout if I'm injured.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Finding exercise I enjoy really helps. I also treat it like any other obligation in my life--like, there's plenty of days I wake up and I don't WANT to go to work, I'd rather be doing other things, but I gotta go.

Plus, it seems that actually getting to the gym is the hardest part. Once i go, I'm always glad I did. So I keep that in mind.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have days where I struggle. Where I get off a 10 hour graveyard shift and I think to myself, "Do I HAVE to go to the gym? Can't I just go to SLEEP?" And then I try on a pair of pants that I haven't been able to wear in over a year and they miraculously FIT. So I spend the next 2 hours admiring my butt in the mirror, wiggling around and thinking,"Dat @$$ though!" Too rights I'm going back to the gym the next day. Deadlifts for life!

I remind myself that every time I go, everything I do, is one step closer to achieving my goal. I may not see it right away. I may get SUPER frustrated. But then all of a sudden a pair of pants are too large or a shirt fits better and BAM, motivation renewed!
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just finished a book about the power of "the compound effect" basically time + consistency= results. Think about fitness and a healthy lifestyle as a marathon not a sprint. If one day you can devote an hour or more to excercise that's great! Days that you think you don't have ANY time at all push yourself to squeeze in 10-15 minutes activity and get in a routine that you can maintain that for the long haul.

We (me + boyfriend) like to at the very minimum do a 1 mile walk/jog before dinner and another after. If the weather is awful we have a loop in the apartment. It's the little things that keep you going.

Good luck with your fitness goals!